IGNORED

Helmet speakers & State motorcycle laws

RodB

My Starcom 1 system has served me well for 6 seasons, I now need to replace a faulty headset for my wife so started looking into buying one. I finally deciding on going a different route as I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Sena SMH10's after reading good reviews here & elsewhere. I'm looking forward to trying them out (the ride down to Little Switzerland will be a good test).

While I was perusing the Senabluetooth website, I came upon this info:

"SENA informs that using this device in public traffic may not be authorized by the law. Please check your local law and use this device only out of public traffic such as private properties or closed circuits. If the simultaneous use of both ear speakers while riding a motorcycle is prohibited by your local law, please use only a single ear speaker while riding. SENA denies any liability should you choose not to respect this warning. Using the headset with loud volume may be harmful to your eardrums and cause hearing loss. Please maintain proper volume level to protect your ears. US Motorcycle Laws by States

This link is provided for informational purpose only. Sena does not guarantee the accuracy of the information. Please verify the accuracy of the information before use."

I then checked for similar information for Canadian restrictions, but did not find any. So I take it that there are no restrictions for helmet speakers.

So I checked out the laws from the States that I'm most likely to travel through on my way to and from the Un, and while some have no restrictions, others range from: - 'for communication use only' or 'one ear speaker only' to 'unlawful to use or possess'.

What do folks (with intercom systems)living in or traveling trough these certain states do? Will I need to completely remove my system when traveling through MA or RI?

Having used an Autocom since 2007 (and the Sena as of a few months ago), and having ridden extensively throughout the U.S., I'd say you can safely forget any such restrictions, unless perhaps you're involved in an accident and a police officer decides to check. I think most police forces these days have plenty of other priorities.

I live in Massachusetts, they are illegal here. I use mine almost every day. Never had a problem. Most Harley riders don't wear a proper helmet (also required in MA) and I have never seen or heard of anyone (including myself, I rode with a beanie helmet for 10 years) being pulled over for the helmet as the primary cause. I have seen them get stopped for some other reason and get pinched for the helmet as a secondary violation. If you would rather not challenge the Police you could remove the jog dial part that snaps onto the helmet and make the system unusable. Then just pop it back on after you reach the border. But I guess you would still be in possession of the speakers... I would just use them and not worry!

I never worried about it. I've never heard of it being enforced.

Like it was posted above......I'll bet the only time it would/could come up was if you were in an accident, were at fault, and the Police or an accident attourney was trying to point the finger at your headsets as a source of distraction.

OK, thanks for the replies. I get the message that it's basically a no-worry kind of deal.

I suppose that it's probably best not to tell the cops:

'I didn't stop right away because I couldn't hear the siren over the music.'

...I suppose that it's probably best not to tell the cops:

'I didn't stop right away because I couldn't hear the siren over the music.'

Exactly, just say "I didn't stop right away because I was going so fast".

In FL, it is illegal to cover both ears but one is OK. I guess our lawmakers want to give you the choice on which side you want to be oblivious to.

Archived