IGNORED

Best Full Face helmet ?

kiwiaudio

Having just heard of a helmets approximate 5 year lifespan, and disbeleiving it for as long as it took to read up on it, I'm in the market for a full face hat and would like to read your opinions on what you consider to be the best and for what reasons.

The most important thing to me is air flow, direction and control. The heat/humidity here in Ohio is the single thing that kept me from buying a full face in the first place, and i find it very hard to put my open face hat on sometimes !

Just read a great article on the subject in Junes "Rider" magazine, where 16 hats were tested. Which brings me to another point - bang for the buck figures with me too! I cannot go for an $800 Bell no matter how good it is, you know !!

The Shoei Quest is high on my list. $300 ballpark !

Best Full Face helmet?

I'm sure it must depend on your oil and tire combination.

Since you don't know me from Adam, let me give you my personal, expert (read: worthless) opinion, the best any kind of helmet is one that fits. If it fits and you can comfortably wear it, you won't worry about it. If it doesn't fit and is an irritant, if you even wear it you'll spend too much time thinking about it when you should be thinking about other things.

I think almost any modern brand name helmet will do the job if you wear it. But of course there are those that think unless it's gold plated, it can't be good (even with a reputable article that seems to show $$$ does not always equal better protection). Haven't had a helmet yet that flows enough air through vents to make a difference. But they all seem to leak too much air when the temp is in the 20's. If it's warm enough, cracking the shield a bit seems to help.

Oh, and I'm going to hell because I wear a helmet with a flip-up chin-bar (and use Fram filters if they're the cheapest), and of course they can't be safe.

So take it for what it's worth... or not.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The one that fits the best and keeps you from being distracted by how poor it fits.

Yes, i get it ! Da hat must fit !

Aside from the obvious, I guess i should ask what made you choose what you are wearing?

Constructive comments please !

I had been shopping for a new helmet for months before my RT died. I currently have an Icon, and it is OK but is pretty much shot after 4 years and about 50k miles. My only requirements for a replacement were that it must accept a Pinlock shield. I have it narrowed down to either the Shoei Quest or the RF-1100.

I like just about everything about the Quest (especially the price), but I have read 2-3 reviews that weren't happy with the airflow. I also am not thrilled that the liner is NOT removable. I have always removed and washed my liners 1-2 times per year. Otherwise things tend to get a little funky. Everything else I have read has been all thumbs up.

This leads me back to the RF-1100. The top two things I always hear about this helmet is that it is quiet and has great air flow, and every one I have tried on fits me perfectly. This is the way I would like to go, but the price of the Quest keeps making me 2nd guess myself.

I have decided to ride out the rest of the season using my current helmet, but I eagerly anticipate getting a new one.

Aside from the obvious fit question (you'd be surprised the riders you run into who wear helmets that don't fit properly), I look for:

-- the safety standard(s) it meets, i.e., DOT (obviously); SNELL; ECE 22-05.

-- a safety rating in the UK's SHARP system (referred to above); safety standards (like the U.S. DOT's FMVSS) are minimums. SHARP assesses a helmet's performance above the minimum. Just another view.

-- features, comfort, weight etc.

-- how easily I can change the faceshield on the side of the road (that's why I'd never buy another Arai)

-- price and perceived value for money (as subjective as that is).

-- I don't find much of a difference in ventilation no matter what helmet I've worn.

-- I also don't care about removable liners, because I've never removed and washed any one I've had.

I now have three helmets: HJC AC-12 Carbon (2007); Shark Evoline Series 2 (2010); and a Shoei Qwest (2011). They're all different and I like them all.

Best bang for buck IMO is the Givi X01.

Great looks, comfortable, light weight, versatility, internal shade visor and terrific ventilation in its summer configuration.

I have yet to see anything else I'd rather wear for motorcycling.

I just ordered a Silver Icon Variant to replace my Shoei MultiTech which is about 3 years old. Should have it sometime next week.

My worthless answer is:

Your question can not be answered,

1) because we don't know what features you like in a helmet.

2) what kind of head you got. Shoei is more oval (I have a Shoei head) Vs. HJC which is more round, but I like the HJC features.

HJC has large ear pocket for big ears and speakers, but it is noisier than the Shoei.

I noticed better ventilation with the Shoei RF-1000 than with the HJCs,

HJC has a flip up bar I love and the internal sunvisor.

I only mentioned to brands. There are too many brands and options.

Cycle gear has a good selection, try some on, take it for a spin.

Ozonkiller

I'm very very happy with my Shoei RF1100. The ventilation on this helmet is almost too good to the point of being noisy with all of the vents open. I wear ear plugs anyway. You can actually feel the air flowing around your face and across the top of your head. Great helmet.

Tom

I went with the System 6. The way they do their sizing so way better for me than the S-M-L that other use. The flip up is handy, but the integrated tinted visor is awesome. I won't get another helmet without it.

I went with the System 6. The way they do their sizing so way better for me than the S-M-L that other use. The flip up is handy, but the integrated tinted visor is awesome. I won't get another helmet without it.

Only problem is that BMW helmets are not sold in the U.S.

Yes, i get it ! Da hat must fit !

Aside from the obvious, I guess i should ask what made you choose what you are wearing?

Constructive comments please !

I wear Nolan because I have a Nolan head. Wore an N100 until the shell cracked after 10 years. Now I have an N103. The features that sold me are the flip up chinbar and integrated sunshield, but what I really, really like about a Nolan hat is the ratchet chin strap. To me not fumbling with finding D-rings and getting the strap down (which really isn't that hard, but harder with gloves on) that adds a lot of value.

I tried a Shoei once because I really wanted that well regarded hat, but I just don't have a Shoei head, also have an HJC SyMax that doesn't fit just quite right, a Caberg that's a bit too unevenly snug, a 3/4 no-name I let hitch-hikers use, and the old N100 that I just can't bring myself to toss.

I have a Shoei RF1000 which I like very much for the same reasons others have noted. What I liked most when I started riding with it was the stability in the air flow. I'd say that spoiler thing on the back as well as the oval shape make that possible. My previous helmet, an HJC, was more round and in the air flow it jumped around like one of those bobble-head dolls.

I'm at around five years with the 1000 and am probably getting the 1100 real soon. Of course it will be the 25% safer solid white.

I have an Arai RX7 and and a Arai Quantum 2 and I like both helmets. I still do not understand what all the fuss is about changing the shields, I find it quite easy. Good air flow and very comfortable for my head shape.

Witch_Doctor

I bought a Shoei Qwest for $330.00 and after being a schuberth guy for many years, I am very pleased. Excellent fit for me, good airflow, quiet, the shield is easily swapped. I have also been very pleased with the optical clarity of the shield. My only beef was the non removable liner, but for the price, not a big deal.

I have a Shoei RF1000 which I like very much for the same reasons others have noted. What I liked most when I started riding with it was the stability in the air flow. I'd say that spoiler thing on the back as well as the oval shape make that possible. My previous helmet, an HJC, was more round and in the air flow it jumped around like one of those bobble-head dolls.

I'm at around five years with the 1000 and am probably getting the 1100 real soon. Of course it will be the 25% safer solid white.

DSC02174.jpg

Hi viz, seen here (the view is more worthy than a shot of the helmet)is my choice over white.

It is more conspicuous. If you are behind a car oncoming traffic only sees your head and shoulders. Not the Motlights (I have) or the PIAA's (I have) but your shoulders and helmet.

The helmet is a scorpion transformer w/internal sunsheild/antifog visor/good venting and will transform if you wish into a 3/4 (I don't).

Hard to beat for conspicuity.

Jerry in Monument

I currently have a HJC CL-16. Got the chin curtain, breath guard and pin-lock all for $155. Even came with a bag. Have had it for about 2 months now.

While it is extremely comfortable for me, I have come to the conclusion that it is rather noisy.

Ventilation is ok, but I'm sure there are better.

At the time I bought it, $$ was a driving factor, but I still wanted both DOT and Snell certification.

I will run the HJC for about another year then upgrade to probably a Shoei Qwest or RF-1100. If I can still find an RF-1000 by then I could go that route.

For my head, those have been the most comfortable off the shelf.

Thank you guys for all the information. will definitely point me at several to look at. Would someone explain what a pinlock is please ?

Anyone have experience with the Bell Arrow or Vortex ? These seem to be liked in the reviews I've read, but have some drawbacks that are to be expected for the price.

Thank you guys for all the information. will definitely point me at several to look at. Would someone explain what a pinlock is please ?

Anyone have experience with the Bell Arrow or Vortex ? These seem to be liked in the reviews I've read, but have some drawbacks that are to be expected for the price.

http://pinlockusa.com/

Pinlock is an anti-fog visor system that might look a little goofy, but works better than anything else out there. If you do a search here on the forum, you will find many reviews and lots of info about them.

I have used Shoei and Arai in the recent past. I have recently replaced a 5yr old shoei rf1000with their new RF1100.

This is by far the best helmet I have ever worn. Every size has a different sized shell, the rear spoiler on the helmet is molded into the shell, the top two intake vents and back four exhaust vents are low profile and make very little noise. The new faceplate system is spring loaded to pull the faceplate against the rubber seal. But my favorite part is the chin vent which easily flows 2-3 times as much air (across and up the inside of the faceplate) as any premium helmet I have ever worn.

And now that they have been out for a while you can get solid colors for a very resonable price.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/rf-1100/

Based on my past personal experience with several different brands, if I were to buy one right now it would be one of the Shoei RF-1100 models. Not cheap, but.....

They have a consistent, comfortable fit (for me) and it was rated best for hot, humid riding conditions in the recent Rider review mentioned above. And yes, it can get hot and (very) humid up here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes... Somewhat "chilly" though, other times of the year.

Archived