IGNORED

How long can I run a (Slime) pump before draining battery?

blackyam

Hi. I've heard that it can take up to 10 minutes to fill a tire using an air pump like the Slime. Is this true? More importantly, with the engine off, how long can I run an air pump before the battery becomes too low to crank over the engine? Thanks.

---John.

Nice n Easy Rider

At last year's Rubber Chicken Rally Quinn picked up a screw or nail (don't recall which) and we had to plug his tire. I don't think it took more than about 5 minutes with my Slime pump to fill the tire after it was plugged. It certainly didn't drain his battery to the point of not being able to crank.

I'd wondered that, too. Couldn't a person idle the engine for a couple minutes after pumping for a couple minutes to recharge the battery? Should be no worse than sitting at some of these "forever" stoplights that seem to be the rage all over the country.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I'd wondered that, too. Couldn't a person idle the engine for a couple minutes after pumping for a couple minutes to recharge the battery? Should be no worse than sitting at some of these "forever" stoplights that seem to be the rage all over the country.

If you're going to fire up the engine, you might as well wait until it's time to ride the bike somewhere.

How long do you need to run the bike to make up for the drain of starting it? And how much charging are you really doing at idle with lights blazing? Shouldn't you be more worried about the pump melting from the heat?

My advise would be to go ahead and let the pump run until it either gets too hot or starts to slow down from battery drain. If battery drain, time to shut it off, let battery rest and recover some, then start the bike and take off on partially inflated tire. Bike should be warmed up and start quickly. Pull over in a couple of miles facing downhill and fill the tire the rest of the way.

----

Evening John

If you go the Slime web site they have at table that shows inflation times for a 195/15 car tire from completely flat. For the pump you show that is 7 minutes. The 195/15 car tire holds just a bit more air than your motorcycle tire so your fill time should be at or under 7 minutes with a fully charged battery.

I would imagine the pump should run that long without issue as they mention cooling times on the site also & your tire fill should be under those run times.

You motorcycle battery should be just fine for 7 minutes of pump run time but I see you have a BMW1200RT. Neither of your power outlets will probably stay in operation for nearly that long as they are controlled by one of the bike’s electronic modules (ZFE module). I’m almost certain your power outlet will shut down well before you get much air into a tire.

To use that pump for on-the-road tire filling you will probably need to rig up a direct battery connection that is independent of the BMW factory power outlets.

Hi. Thank you all for your input and advice. I appreciate it. I feel a lot better now. (Truly.)

Dirtrider, I have a fused pigtail with an SAE connector for a Battery Tender connected directly to the battery; can I use that for a (Slime) pump?

Thanks again.

---John.

----Dirtrider, I have a fused pigtail with an SAE connector for a Battery Tender connected directly to the battery; can I use that for a (Slime) pump?

Evening John

Yes, that should work perfectly as long as it is fused to at least 15 amps.

I was burned once by CO2 cartridges being insufficient. I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice...

Best way to find out is while at home, let the air out of both tires, then reinflate to max pressure on both tires using the Slime pump. When done, start bike.

This is what I did on my RT and all was fine.

(I actually did this using the stock BMW current limited powerlet harness on my '06, but have since converted to direct to battery connection).

dirtrider and SageRider, thanks for the additional information. It's very much appreciated. :-)

---John.

markgoodrich

The Slime pumps come with alligator clips for the battery. I've used mine several times that way without issues.

Archived