IGNORED

Need light weight long sleeve protection for real hot weather

macx

Getting up around the 100's here in Vegas, just too hot to wear even a long sleeved denim shirt.

Don't want to ride with no protection, but don't want to pass out from the heat, either!

Is there any such thing as maybe a net overshirt or something that will afford at least some protection and still breathe?

Thanks!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Maybe this? Sounds like you aren't into much armor but,.....

kevlar shirt

patches and badge holder are easily deleted.

Air mesh kevlar breathes incredibly well. As well as mesh cordura with a couple orders of magnitude improved abrasion resistance.

The cooling vest work wonders in our desert environment! Combined with a mesh jacket they are da bomb.

I've read that mesh in desert environments is dangerously hotter than without. Apparently when your sweat completely evaporates, more heat is transfered into your blood raising your core temp. So, riding with mesh may sound like a great thing, but it isn't at temps of 100 and over.

Cooling vests, ice in your pockets, wet sweatshirt, liquid cooling or equivalent.

I don't see how mesh can be any hotter than a long sleeve kevlar or any other top cover. I ride with a cooling vest under a mesh jacket most of the summer in 100+ temps here with no problems at all. You just need to keep a 2 or 3 gallon baggie full of water in a saddlebag to re-wet said vest about every 90 to 120 minutes or so. (or stop where there is a a water supply)

I don't see how mesh can be any hotter than a long sleeve kevlar or any other top cover.

If you have a cooling vest with the mesh, you are more than fine as long as the vest is kept wet.

But no cooling vest and mesh is bad if dry air at temps higher than 98.6F.

The high flow of air will dry out the surface of your skin and cause it to increase in temp.

Read more here.

Certainly with a closed up windproof suite managing your body temp will be a challenge, but it apparently is a better option when temps are really hot.

Go to ls comfort web site. We just got ours,wet it down put your jacket on and ride,adult vents as needed. Works great

RichEdwards

Here in Florida, I use the mesh jacket. But it's too humid to use evaporative cooling, so I just wear synthetic t-shirts underneath.

(and since when is a long-sleeved denim shirt shirt any kind of "protection"?)

I've riden cross country in the middle of summer many times. When temps are near 100, armor and mesh just don't cut it. I wear a simple, white, long sleeve dress shirt over my t shirt. Easy to carry more than one in a stuffed saddle bag, lightweight, breathable and pretty comfortable.

I don't see how mesh can be any hotter than a long sleeve kevlar or any other top cover.

If you have a cooling vest with the mesh, you are more than fine as long as the vest is kept wet.

all I can say to that is, well duh; no point in wearing a cooling vest if you're not going to keep it wet.

[but no cooling vest and mesh is bad if dry air at temps higher than 98.6F.

The high flow of air will dry out the surface of your skin and cause it to increase in temp.

Certainly with a closed up windproof suite managing your body temp will be a challenge, but it apparently is a better option when temps are really hot.

Im not buyin' it. Wearing a t-shirt or long sleeved shirt under a mesh jackt is going to keep you cooler therefore you will sweat less and lose fluids more slowly than wearing a solid jacket over the same shirt. I'll take my chances with the mesh with or without the cooling vest every time. In fact I have been doing it that way for about 11 years and 250,000 miles without a problem.

But that kind of deviates from the original question which was what is good for heat yet offers some protection.

Here in Florida, I use the mesh jacket. But it's too humid to use evaporative cooling, so I just wear synthetic t-shirts underneath.

(and since when is a long-sleeved denim shirt shirt any kind of "protection"?)

The same for me in humid west Tennessee. I have been using CoolMax short (long sleeved for cool wx) t-shirts from HERE.

I think the only significant protection from a long sleeved shirt would be from the sun and bugs?

Well, I figure a little something is better than bare skin.

I'm currently riding 40 miles home in mid afternoon at 100+ degrees. Try putting a real jacket in that!

That's why I'm asking.

I'm currently riding 40 miles home in mid afternoon at 100+ degrees. Try putting a real jacket in that!

And - uh - That's why I'm asking.

And - uh - That's why I'm asking.

Take a look at the Joe Rocket Ballistic series of mesh jackets. They have fairly large perforations for maximal airflow and removable armor with minimal armor stitched into the liner. Add a long-sleeved evaporative cooling vest that you keep in your saddlebag in a baggie of water for the ride home in the afternoon. I've found that perticular combination over a short-sleeved cotton T-shirt will keep you cool for about 90 minutes in 100* heat; then it's time to stop and re-soak the vest in that baggie of water the is hopefullly still in your saddlbag.

When crossing the desert from SoCal to Vegas last year in temps of 100+, I wore a mesh jacket zippered to mesh pants with very thin performance fabric long underwear and a platapus drinking system with drinking tube. I made sure to sip some water frequently all the way across. It worked well.

JT

Archived