IGNORED

Another Russell disciple

George Brown

George Brown

Received my new Russell Day-Long May 20. After about 800 miles I am ready to report it is fantastic. Should have done this years ago. When I bought my '97 RT it came with a Corbin that the orginal owner had installed. After about 90 minutes my left leg hurt so bad that I would stop every 30 minutes or so. I replaced the Corbin with a used "like new" Sargent that I bought at Bob's. The Sargent was much better than the Corbin.

Earlier this year I was Jonesing for something different and even took a couple of test rides but decided to replace the seat instead. The Russell ROCKS!

beemerman2k

Russell Day Long's are no joke; they are the real deal for sure. Back in 2004, I rode 1500 miles in 24 hours, going from Fort Worth, TX to Los Angeles, CA, stopping only for food and gas. In all those miles, in all that 24 hour period, I had absolutely NO saddle soreness. I was amazed at how well that seat performed.

Congrats on your acquisition of one of these marvelous seats :thumbsup:

I bought my 1150 last fall and bought a Russel. My butt is allergic of all I tried in the past on any bike but this one is really great. But... damn it is ugly !

I picked up a used Russell for my old R1100R. What a difference! I'd always felt (literally and figuratively) that the stock seat felt like I was sitting on the edge of a 2 X 8. I could ride all day with the Russell without having leg pains.

I sold the R with the seat and bought an RT with a Corbin. The Corbin is is slightly better than the stock seat: I'd say that it's closer to a 4 X 8. When the economy picks up I'll try for another Russell.

If there is anything better than a Corbin I haven't found it yet. I just rode 100 miles on a jackhammer with no problem with a Corbin seat. This one was on a KTM though and the route was the White Rim near Moab. This was my first ride on the KTM and I didn't know how stiff the suspension was----I'm going to work on that---but the seat was great. I've got 9 years on the Corbin on my Beemer and ---guess what?---I can ride that bike every day ---all day--- and love the seat. I'm not knocking the Meyer---my friend rides on one on his Triumph and likes it---but when he knows he's going to be our for more than three days he takes his Beemer with the Corbin. Good to hear that the Meyer is so good but If it ain't broke I don't try to fix it---Guess I'll be riding Corbin for awhile yet---Mine is as good nine years later as it was the day I put it on. Can't get much better than that.

I bought my 1150 last fall and bought a Russel. My butt is allergic of all I tried in the past on any bike but this one is really great. But... damn it is ugly !

Thanks for the giggle! So true. I bought a stock front seat to use around town just so I wouldn't have to look at the Russell.

But(t) for the long haul, nothing else I have tried beats it.

I have had 6 saddles (BMW stock, BMW Comfort (the worst), Sargeant, Corbin, Meyer) on 4 RTs and none was more than 5 or 6 on a 10 scale, except the Russell, which is a 10.

StriderWalker

June 1st I rode from Southern Oregon to Redding, CA for a ride-in fitting (and tour). My Russell Day-Long saddle was worth the cold, rain, hail and high winds endured to get there. I'd doit again in a heartbeat.

cali_beemer

I think I have tried all the popular seat makers...Corbin, Rick Meyer, Bill Meyer, Sargent.....and now I am on my second Russell seat. I love these. By far the best seat I have used! I now no longer am limited in miles by my seat.

I have Russells on both my Moto Guzzi Norge and my R1150RT. They are expensive but well worth it when it comes to relieving butt and knee pain on long rides. The only thing that I would change on one of my Russells is to have it redone in vinyl instead of leather. My RT I had done in vinyl, the Guzzi is done in leather. The vinyl seems to look much better over time.

beemerman2k

Years ago, our own EffBee and another rider (Kris Beasley, maybe?) did an SS1K and Kris did it on the BMW stock seat!

That alone has to be a record that still stands to this day.

Years ago, our own EffBee and another rider (Kris Beasley, maybe?) did an SS1K and Kris did it on the BMW stock seat!

I did my first SS1K on a stock 1150 seat. The last few hours I spent thinking about how awful the seat was and I entertained myself with thoughts of dragging the designer behind me on the highway in the rain (it was pouring buckets) like they used to in westerns dragging the bad guy behind a horse. It made the last 250 miles go by pretty quickly, plotting the torture of the seat maker :) So there is something good to say about stock seats :grin:

After I got my BMS seat I couldn't believe how much better a motorcycle seat could be and kicked myself for not buying one sooner. I'm a religious fanatic about custom saddles now :-) I'm like a reformed smoker whenever I get around other bikers.

Based on the cost differential between a stock seat (replacement cost) & the BMS, I don't know why BMW doesn't make a better seat. It wouldn't drastically affect the cost of an $18K bike and it would be sooooo much better. I understand that most makers don't need to do that (90% of their riders think 100 miles is a long ride) but BMW has to have a higher percentage of long riders to where they might out number the low mileage BMW buyers.

Anyone want an Airhawk cheap? :D

That alone has to be a record that still stands to this day.

Actually, it was Sean Daly. We rode from SoCal up through the Central Coast, then over to Vegas, down to Kingman, AZ, and back to SoCal. Of course, Sean weighs about a sneeze-and-a-half, so he wasn't putting any kind of hurt on that stock seat. My Russell did rock, though.

As for what are the best seats, that's like asking what are the best shoes. Everyone feet (and butt) are different. So are their riding positions. And, after being on this board 11 years, I've seen people rave about darned near every seat made. However, I've seen less dissatisfaction with Russell than with any other brand. YMMV, of course.

I would like to be another Russell believer but first I need to be able to reach the ground. So, for those who have made the switch,

how did the Day-Long affect your reach to the ground?

Regards, Ron

I would like to be another Russell believer but first I need to be able to reach the ground. So, for those who have made the switch,

how did the Day-Long affect your reach to the ground?

Regards, Ron

When you replace your shocks, go with lowered... I did. 40mm lowered Wilbers with ESA. I used to use the low seat and could only touch down with the balls of my feet. Now I can use the regular seat... what a difference!

Archived