IGNORED

Clutch reservoir ram mount on rubber mounted reservoir

Gene O

I'm looking into mounting a Garmin 660 on my 2010 R1200RT. I ride with bifocal glasses so I can actually read the odometer etc. Age has taken a toll on the near vision. On my other motorcycle, the mount puts the 660 above the clutch reservoir and is easy for me to see and read. That's why I've eliminated most of the center or shelf mount systems. My concern is that the rubber mounted clutch reservoir on the 2010 and newer RTs has quite a bit of play in it and the extra weight of the Garmin would be unstable or bounce around quite a bit.

Has anyone used this combination that could provide feedback or review? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Hi Gene O,

I'd suggest you check out the BMR shelf. It mounts your GPS above the instruments and is rock solid. It is a little pricey, but it works very well with my Zumo 665 and puts the GPS right where you can see it. The shelf is made in the USA as well.

http://www.bmrproducts.com/products.php?cat=31

Rick

I've researched most of the 'shelf' mounts including the BMR. I want the GPS screen much closer to me for easy visibility. The distance to the shelf area is not a good focus range for my bifocals.

Check out this new RKA mount for tank bags - see http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tankbags/What%20is%20HydroElectric.html

I have one on my 2003 R1150RS with an RKA 17 liter that puts the GPS in close to my lower bifocal range for nice clear image, works fine either in the collapsed or expanded range of the tank bag.

There is no obstruction of the instruments in the collapsed range, and minimal with the expanded range.

Afternoon Gene

You might look into the L/H mirror clamp part for the 2010 BMW GS (go look a new GS). That will give you a mounting hole to install a RAM ball. From there you can use a clamp on the 1” RAM ball to allow mounting your GPS base.

That tank bag mount looks nice but it will probably severely block your view of the computer screen & lower gauges on your RT if used on a stock tank bag.

I don't ride with a tank bag and I wouldn't want to be tied to one just to have the GPS.

An example of one of the 'reservoir' mounts is here:

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049056051085/Default.aspx

There are a couple of variations on this same theme but it's the flexibility introduced by the rubber mounting on the 2010s and up that I'm worried about. I'm still hoping there's someone out there that's tried this and can report back

I'm looking into mounting a Garmin 660 on my 2010 R1200RT. I ride with bifocal glasses so I can actually read the odometer etc. Age has taken a toll on the near vision. On my other motorcycle, the mount puts the 660 above the clutch reservoir and is easy for me to see and read. That's why I've eliminated most of the center or shelf mount systems. My concern is that the rubber mounted clutch reservoir on the 2010 and newer RTs has quite a bit of play in it and the extra weight of the Garmin would be unstable or bounce around quite a bit.

Has anyone used this combination that could provide feedback or review? Thanks in advance for any insights.

I would agree that mounting anything to the reservoir would be problematic (I have a '10 RT as well and can see the potential for trouble). I use a RAM mount ball attached to one of the bolts holding the handlebar. You can then use various sizes of double socket "arms" to bring the GPS mount closer to you. I use the standard 2" arm but RAM has longer sizes (e.g., 4").

Here is an example of the ball mount (RAM Mount Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp RAM-B-367U): https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-handlebar-clamp-ram-b-367u.html

You can then get a Garmin kit (I think includes an arm and the mounting cradle/bracket). Check out the RAM website for details at: http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/GPSMounts/tabid/135/Default.aspx .

It's a pretty clean set up. Good luck

I didn't like any of the ram handlebar/clutch mounts for my 02rt. I mounted two ram diamond bases on the plastic part of my fairing. I thought that an accessory shelf would vibrate too much-I'm sure some folks on here have great success with them. Besides that, they were expensive when I was looking, and all my project cost was the base. Good luck-I would post a picture of it, but I'm inept at such things. I can take one and email it to you if you are interested.

• 2 months later...

+1 on the handlebar mounting bolt. If you want the GPS closer to you for visibility, get a couple of the 5" RAM arms and connect them together with the double-ball-end part. You can adjust the device position to where it would probably sit above a tank bag.

BTW, you'll save about 10% buying the RAM parts through Amazon. And they are "Prime" items, which means free 2-Day shipping.

Archived