IGNORED

Best method to mount a radar detector on a 2011 RT?

AdirondackJack

AdirondackJack

Recently when I bought my new RT my wife asked that I do her a favor and not make the handlebar area of my new bike look like a "garage sale". I've been able to play ball pretty well so far, but am stumped as to where to put my radar detector. Don't want to use a BMR or RCU shelf, and the triple tree is off bounds since I already installed bar backs, and didn't get the version which can accommodate a bracket. Don't think I want the radar detector there anyway. I used a 3-4" tech-mount the last time coming off the RCU shelf, and would like to reuse it. The brake and clutch reservoirs are off limits, thanks to BMW revising them to be all wobbly. Ram mounts are kind of primitive and clunky, and don't see where they could be put with the revised 2011 handlebars, anyway. I know this seems like an impossible request, but any suggestions would be most welcome. The theme I am trying to stay with is to be a minimalist, while still having a bunch of High-tech gear installed and available to the pilot, but very subtly mounted. Thanks in advance. Dave R.

p.s. The Nav4 is mounted using the new RT mount for it just over the dash, and under the windshield. Raal slick!

Morning Dave

You didn’t leave yourself much wiggle room with your above posting of where you (or your wife) doesn’t want it.

It sounds like maybe you could live with it near the clutch reservoir? If so maybe look into the mirror clamp from a new GS (go look at a new GS). If you don’t want to use a RAM ball maybe make your own set up using that hole in the GS mirror clamp as an attachment.

Dave,

You can buy a RAM ball that mounts directly to one of the bolts for the handlebars (or barbacks). Seems as elegant as any other alternative. The Zumo 550 box contains one.

Archived