IGNORED

LED lights for front and back of my RT

Mark Mayo

I would like to give more alert to drivers in front of me and behind. What led lights do you use and why? Where did you mount them if you have an RT?

russell_bynum
I would like to give more alert to drivers in front of me and behind. What led lights do you use and why? Where did you mount them if you have an RT?

I'm not sure why you're boxing yourself in to LED lights, but here's my advice if you want to make yourself more conspicuous....

Your best option on the front is probably motolights mounted down on the forks. That creates a big triangle of lights that is distinctive and also helps driver's judge your distance and closing rate since there's some space between the lights.

You can also install Run-n-lights, which convert your turn signals into signals/running lights.

In the back, again you can go with run-n-lights to conver your signals into running lights. It is also popular to install Hyperlites on the tail...these are little LED clusters that flash when you apply the brake. A popular place to mount them is on the underside of the tail, just below the signals/brake light using double-sided foam tape.

I've also seen license plate frames with a red LED bar on top...which lights up when you apply the brake.

If you ride at night, a reflective sticker kit from MotoEquip makes a HUGE difference. They're practically invisible during the day, but REALLY show up at night when the car's lights hit them. You can also get reflective stickers for your helmet, and many riding jackets/suits have reflective parts on them.

I will also add my standard advice that if you are relying on them to see you, determine your distance and closing rate, think of an appropriate course of action, and then successfully execute that course of action....you're already behind the curve. Ride like you're invisible.

I considered Motolights last year because the local police decided to mount them on their H-Ds and I noticed the difference right away. It was my local independent BMW tech who suggested LED lights from Clearwater (from California), as he had mounted several sets and he was impressed with their build quality etc. I checked them out and ordered a set of Glendas. They have custom brackets for mounting on the R12RT (and many other bikes). They sit roughly where Motolights would go. They're well built and bright as all get out, but they're also dimmable with a small rotary knob (from 15% to 100% intensity). They're also wired into the high beams so if I switch on my high beams, or just "flash to pass", the Glendas go to 100% intensity. My friend (who rides a GS Adventure) was so impressed with the ones on my RT on our ride out to the UnRally last summer that he stopped by Clearwater on his way home from California and had a set installed himself. If you're considering Motolights, you really should check out Clearwater lights too.

http://www.clearwaterlights.com/

Check out the manual for the R12RT here:

http://www.clearwaterlights.com/downloads/BMW%20R1200RT%20v4.1.pdf

BTW, I've got a reflective sticker kit from MotoEquip for the back of my bike (on the side cases, fender extension and 49L topcase). Great product.

Here are my rear lights.

The plate frame helped, but the bottom light, which replaced the reflector, is super bright. It is a combination tail/stop.

orig.jpg

Most cop bikes are running a plethora of LED lights and cage drivers still don't see them.

Not saying you should not make your bike more conspicuous but more lights may not mean "more alert" when it comes to dim bulb drivers..

If you just want more visibility from the front, high priced driving lights will do the trick, but so will el'cheapo lights mounted low to give you the triangle of light most people go for. If you actually want to throw more light down the road for night riding, then yes, you get what you pay for.

As for the rear, have tried hyper lights and liked them. Then got some P3 lights and wow, what a difference. Much much brighter and better I think.

Allen Rowand
As for the rear, have tried hyper lights and liked them. Then got some P3 lights and wow, what a difference. Much much brighter and better I think.

+1 on the P3s. I use them along with a SignalMinder- the back of my bike looks like the UFO from Close Encounters when I hit the brakes.

I had a controller failure on the P3 after a year. Jerry immediately shipped me a new controller (an upgraded P3+) on his dime with a prepaid label to get the old one back. No hassle, he just wanted to make it right.

Your best option on the front is probably motolights mounted down on the forks. That creates a big triangle of lights that is distinctive and also helps driver's judge your distance and closing rate since there's some space between the lights.

If lights are mounted down on the forks, where the weight is unsprung(?), would they bob up and down as the forks move up and down (rather than remain at a steady height) as one motors down the road? Does this matter? Thanks.

If you ride at night, a reflective sticker kit from MotoEquip makes a HUGE difference. They're practically invisible during the day, but REALLY show up at night when the car's lights hit them.

Or what about these reflective stickers (attached picture) to be seen in both daytime and nighttime? :-)

---John.

5649.jpg.dd4dc9ec0d426a74bd596c7f0a759c0b.jpg

Mark-

IMO you're correct to think of LEDs as their draw is a fraction of halogen for equivalent brightness, they last forever, and are much more resistant to shock & vibration. It's a no-brainer.

On the front as Russel said Motolights or Clearwater Glendas (reviewed by me here http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnglenda.pdf ) would be fine. Glendas are LED from the factory and Motolights can be equipped with LED bulbs, as shown here on my friend's F650 that I retrofitted (lens shown removed for viewer's clarity of the bulb):

f650led.jpg

On the rear there are a million options - my 2004 as shown here http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150rtarticles.htm had BMW's LED flasher and backing plate (backing plate shown with halogen but LEDs are available and I have them on my '09) along with Signal Dynamics license plate frame and Run-N-Lites. I retrofitted my '09 the same way - works well.

The usual caveats everyone else mentioned apply - nobody sees you anyway, no matter how much of a Christmas Tree you make your bike.

Motolights can be equipped with LED bulbs, as shown here on my friend's F650 that I retrofitted (lens shown removed for viewer's clarity of the bulb):

f650led.jpg

Moshe--

When I saw your post I checked out the Motolights website. They indicate that the standard power LED lights put out 100 lumens vs. 7,000 for their standard 35-watt bulb. This seems like a heck of a lot less illumination for a lot more money; of course, the LED bulbs should last much longer.

It appears that the LED bulbs are really just bright marker lights, rather than lights that actually contribute to illuminating the road. Is that your experience with this product?

markgoodrich
Motolights can be equipped with LED bulbs, as shown here on my friend's F650 that I retrofitted (lens shown removed for viewer's clarity of the bulb):

f650led.jpg

Moshe--

When I saw your post I checked out the Motolights website. They indicate that the standard power LED lights put out 100 lumens vs. 7,000 for their standard 35-watt bulb. This seems like a heck of a lot less illumination for a lot more money; of course, the LED bulbs should last much longer.

It appears that the LED bulbs are really just bright marker lights, rather than lights that actually contribute to illuminating the road. Is that your experience with this product?

Mike, I would not rely on Motolights for more road illumination, especially if mounted on the calipers. You'll see the bunny just before you smush it.

For the OP, here's my solution to the rear LED quandary:

http://tinyurl.com/3ljnles

The description is rather long, but the result is, in my opinion, the best of the solutions available. EDD's light is similar, but his is also a tail light; I find it difficult to distinguish between the tail light and brake light on most LED systems, including the popular brand name ones.

Mike-

When MCN tested fog and driving lights for actual road illumination in darkness, Motolights were among the poorest performers, and that includes the 50W versions which were an improvement over the dismal 35W standard (which were bottom of the pack). My experience in testing lights is in accord with MCN's findings. If you want road illumination, Motolights are a poor choice, relative to other better choices out there. If you want conspicuity and a well designed, rugged package, they are a fine choice. Anecdotally, the "triangle" patten of light between headlight and Motolights works. I have them myself, so I like them that much.

Matt's Motolights were upgraded with 6w bulbs we bought online, as M16 LEDs are commonplace and available everywhere, and they are extremely bright from a distance - much more so than my 50W amber halogens. As such, I will upgrade my halogens to LED when time and budget permits.

-MKL

markgoodrich

I've looked online for an explanation of the "triangle" being more effectively visible, and cannot find any actual evidence. I "believe" it, and as mentioned, have the Motolights, but where's the "proof"?

John,

Reflective stickers/tape is very effective, IMO.

DSC02428.jpg

you can see the blue and red tape reflection and also the decals that are retroreflective.

My GIVI lid is open, along the side I put SOLAS tape behind the reflector that comes with the case which maginifes the effect.

Mark,

triangle of light goes back to studies about locomotive conspicuity. Recent moto safety/conspicuity studies note use of relective material on bike and clothing, helmet color, headlight usage,

Other studies on human perception emphasize the triangle as easily discernible by humans.

Best wishes.

Archived