IGNORED

Any recommendations for on-the-road tire repair kits?

ryan_a1982

Hello,

I tried a search and didn't find anything recent. Anybody have recommendations for a kit to plug and pump up a tire on the road? I am thinking of this one: LINKY

I will be on the road in Oregon and BFE Nor-Cal over the 4th of July weekend. Don't want to get stranded.

Thanks for the $.02

Firefight911

Ryan,

Since I am in between bikes and have a Slime pump and a Stop N Go plug kit you are more than welcome to take them with you.

Phil,

Thanks! Also, I need to return your twin-max. The battery was dead but I will replace it for you. I think I have one lying around.

No bike at all huh? Did they buy back the GS? You getting the Yami ST?

Joe Frickin' Friday

I have a Slime pump. Haven't used it yet myself, but another rider used my kit last fall and we found that it pumped up the tire fairly quickly. Not bad for such a compact item.

As far as repair kits, any POS "sticky-rope+rubber cement" kit from a car parts store will do the job, and only costs a few bucks. Recommend one with a reaming/insertion tool that has a large molded plastic handle. I have used a tool in the past that had a simple formed-wire handle, and it was painful to use; you need a big molded handle so that you can apply enough force without bruising your palm.

I have a Slime pump. Haven't used it yet myself, but another rider used my kit last fall and we found that it pumped up the tire fairly quickly. Not bad for such a compact item.

As far as repair kits, any POS "sticky-rope+rubber cement" kit from a car parts store will do the job, and only costs a few bucks. Recommend one with a reaming/insertion tool that has a large molded plastic handle. I have used a tool in the past that had a simple formed-wire handle, and it was painful to use; you need a big molded handle so that you can apply enough force without bruising your palm.

+1, basic rope plug kit and Slime pump...Slime pump power direct off the battery with an SAE plug, which is a handy thing to have for a number of power needs (i.e., Gerbings).........In addition, the "reaming/insertion tool" in the tire kit doubles nicely as a corkscrew in a pinch if it's the spiral type...I've used it a number of times until I got with it and put a "purpose corkscrew" on the bike...... :grin:

Mitch's advice is dead on. I used to carry a Stop 'n Go kit, but it was unable to fix a puncture from a roofing nail. The rope plug kits offer the best bang for the buck, and are so cheap that you should replace them annually, as the rubber can age, and the glue can dry out. A T-handled insertion tool will reduce wear and tear on your palm.

I carry both Stop-n-Go and sticky ropes with a Slime pump. The Stop-n-Go worked fine for me the last time I had a rear flat. The plug was in for about 500 miles before I changed the tire.

There are multiple advantages with the Nealey kit over the plain rope repair kits.

1st, there is no cement required. The Nealey ropes will last for years with no maintenance involved.

2nd, the Nealey ropes install differently from a plain rope. The rope is inserted, twisted, then pulled back through. Forms a "mushroom" head inside the tire providing a close equivalent to a plug / patch combo.

3rd, I find the Nealey storage tube easier to pack than the typical rope kit which comes with a T-handle tool and a tube of cement.

Firefight911
Phil,

No bike at all huh? Did they buy back the GS? You getting the Yami ST?

No bike, Yes, and Yes.

There are multiple advantages with the Nealey kit over the plain rope repair kits.

1st, there is no cement required. The Nealey ropes will last for years with no maintenance involved.

2nd, the Nealey ropes install differently from a plain rope. The rope is inserted, twisted, then pulled back through. Forms a "mushroom" head inside the tire providing a close equivalent to a plug / patch combo.

3rd, I find the Nealey storage tube easier to pack than the typical rope kit which comes with a T-handle tool and a tube of cement.

Michael,

Thanks.

Informative.

Where are they sold?

Paul,

I'm trying to remeber where I saw these.

:dopeslap:

Would like to just pick it up instead of on-line but it may have been in a galaxy far far away, just don't recall.

If no joy I'll go on-line.

Thanks.

:wave:

I carry a combination of tools:

-Nealey kit

-Dynaplug kit

-scratch awl

-3/4" PVC T

-Slime pump

I find the Dynaplug is the easiest to use for a small hole.

The Nealy handles larger holes.

The awl is very useful to help you determine the the actual path of the hole. This is critical when you are trying to insert the plug.

The PVC T slides over the Nealey insertion tool. It will allow you to push much harder without bruising your palm.

It may seem like overkill, but the kits, PVC, and awl pack easily.

Tim,

I bought mine direct from Nealey at the link Paul provided.

Arizona Al has been known to stock a few, but I rather doubt he's in your neck of the woods now.

Eddddddddd, glad the Dynaplug works for you.

My experience with the Dynaplug was they were a complete waste of time... Never seemed to have a hole just the right size for them.

In general,

Stop-n-Gos were OK for me, but, with reports of plugs blowing out of tires, I started looking for a motorcycle alternative to the Safety Seal plugs I had used for 4WD off-roading.

That's when I found the Nealey plugs.

By far the best solution for me.

Great Comments Guys,

I tried to order the Nealey kit but Paypal is down until late tonight. I will surely order them tomorrow. The slime pumps are reasonably priced and I will get one of those too.

Questions always seem to get wonderful answers on this forum!

Thanks,

-Ryan

I had an opportunity to use the Nealy kit 2 years ago when a fellow rider had a rear tire with an 'L' shaped puncture.

Worked quite well. He rode it another 300+ miles home without issue. When it was replaced he said it looked a wad of gum at the patch.

As mentioned, there is no cement but they are very sticky. When the tire warms from riding the patch bonds to the tire.

If you use the traditional order form they will send a bill along. Rare these days.

Got my slime pump and my Nealey plugs. thanks for the suggestions. Much cheaper than the Aerostitch pump kit. FYI amazon has the slime pump for $29.

LINKY

Another vote for the Nealey kit. I picked mine up from their website with no problem. I use the Cycle Pump for air and the combination works fine. I also carry one of the t-tools because it will do a better job of rasping the area to be plugged than the Nealey tool will. It is a great kit, fits right under my seat on the RT. Don

Yet another vote for Nealey. I've used mine twice (neither time on my own bike) and it work beautifully both times. Plus any company that will send you a product and BILL you for it without having to pay in advance gets my vote.

When was the last time you saw a company do that?

I also have the slime pump... used it both times. I'm quite happy with this combination. A buddy of mine used a stop-n-go kit and it took him three tries to plug a hole with it. I'll stick with Nealeys

I have used for years the Stop & Go Tubeless repair kit

Works great for cars and bike. Don't mean to slight your friend, but it is quite simple to use.

I had my initiation during a Hill Country ride where I picked up a road-kill tooth!; it

has paid for itself times over. I ride tires until they wear out regardless.

YMMV

No offense taken... however my buddy routinely rides over 50K per year (He is running in the IBR right now in fact). He knows his stuff. He quit using the stop-n-go after that experience. I've heard others that have had issues with it..

I've also heard that it DOES take some practice with it.

The nealey kit requires no practice.. I'm just sayin.... ;)

Archived