IGNORED

Garmin Nuvi 885T for 2011 RT

Jud

Since I already own and understand this GPS, I'm wondering what folks' experiences are with this or similar GPSs. BTW, I also have purchased the lifetime quarterly map update.

It seems like a dash mount would keep it out of most weather, and it pops off the mount easily, for security and really nasty weather. I guess I'm concerned about vibration, mostly. Visibility is probably an issue. Thank ye!

terryofperry

Jud

I can only relay my experience. I have a 765T, basically the same unit. I had it mounted to the handlebar with a Ram mount for over 16 months. No issues at all. I did buy a glare hood for it, about $15. It was easy to operate, I could see it fairly well, but not very well and it never got wet. The RT shield was suprisingly good at keeping water away. I did carry a plastic shower cap in my pocket just in case I neede to cover it and as you say it can be taken off in a heartbeat. Worked great for me.

The reason I am talking in the past tense is I saved my pennies and last week purchased a Zumo 660. My 765T would Bluetooth music and navigation out but not the cell phone. What surprised me about the Zumo 660 is it is identical in operation to the 765T, albeit with a few more features and waterproof.

If you don't need Bluetooth cell, you are good to go. Or hardwire to a Starcom1.

Eventually we all probably end up with waterproof units as it takes the worry out.

Ride safely

Terry

Great, Terry, you told me what I wanted to hear. :thumbsup: I'll get a Zumo eventually, but it sounds like the Nuvi will work in the meantime.

Sounds like my next post will be about bluetooth helmets!

600+ miles (in 100+ heat!) and loving the RT. Do much cooler than the ST1100...

Jud

terryofperry

Just a side note, my wife was born and raised in Enid, OK.

Keep hydrated in that heat, it has been 100 here for a month also.

Terry

Hey Jud

I have an 855 so other than the bluetooth, they are virtually identical.

I've had no issues whatsoever. I love the fact that the unit will turn on and off by itself with the ignition key. GREAT.

I don't ride in the rain but I do keep a Ziploc sandwich baggie handy which covers it perfectly, and I can still see the display thru the baggie.

Regards

Bernd

Thanks again, guys. I plan to glue the plastic disk to the top of the dash, and then use the suction-cup mount to hold it on. In my car, I use a donut beanbag with a plastic circle in the middle. That way I can go from one to the other easily.

First few rides I'll have some sort of safety tether, so it doesn't end up roadkill!

Thanks again, guys. I plan to glue the plastic disk to the top of the dash, and then use the suction-cup mount to hold it on. In my car, I use a donut beanbag with a plastic circle in the middle. That way I can go from one to the other easily.

First few rides I'll have some sort of safety tether, so it doesn't end up roadkill!

I just joined the GPS club, with a Nuvi 265W. I have the disk and suction cup that came with it stuck on the dash of my car; I'm not sure that I would trust that system on a motorcycle. I bought a RAM mount, arm, and a custom base that someone on this list (jakfrost) machines, and which sticks into the hole for the steering stem. This is a rock solid setup, and I cannot imagine a bump that would knock it loose. Actually, I spent more for the mounting hardware than I did for the GPS (reconditioned, thru Amazon).

@terryofperry: Do you find the screen on the Zumo noticeably brighter than the Nuvi? I haven't fitted a sunshade yet, but the 265W is virtually unreadable in bright sunlight. It responds fine to gloved inputs, and GPS isn't essential enough that I feel I need to use it in the rain, so no problems there.

terryofperry

Selden

That is hard to quantify, the 660 is better but not perfect by any means. I noticed on my 765T I could actually have better viewing by lowering the brightness on the display, if that makes sense. The glare stopper works but not at all angles. My buddy made one out of thin metal and it actually works better than mine. He used cardboard to get the measurements to his liking, ran test runs, then made one. The glare stoppers just velcro on.

The 660 is way overpriced as I could buy 3 765T's for its price.

I am still trying to make the UN and if I do you are welcome to take a look. If not, there should be a ton of them there.

It is kinda funny, I never wanted a GPS, did not feel the need, but when I got a refurbished 2610 for the Montauk for the MOA trip I was hooked. Never wanted music either, now I love it but only on certain rides and at certain times. The killer is the passenger comm thingy, that is wonderful. Now that I have the RT the kids are riding more. The things we need in our old age.

Didn't answer your question definitively but it is subjective. The best screens are the marine ones, 278, 478, etc.

Besides, the BMW LCD screen is washed out half the time anyway.

Ride safely

Terry

• 1 month later...

Not trying to hijack, but I feel this will add to the subject. I am definitely about to become part of the GPS crowd, I saw a amount that is installed upon the four bolts holding the handlebars. Does someone know a good source for that?

Archived