IGNORED

Pilot Road 3's pressure sensitive

aterry1067

Hi,

I've been running the PR3's for a couple thousand miles now. Not long ago the tires were 32/34 front and rear respectively. Before a trip I went to 36/39. I do understand that the bike would respond differently, but the amount so was a bit surprising. The bike feels very twitchy. I have ridden at these pressures for about 1000 miles or so, and will be going back to 32/34.

I'm sorry if this post seems a bit obtuse, but does anyone else find the PR3's to be very pressure sensitive?

Overall I love the tires. Great feel and very smooth. Still has the Pilot Road hum during a turn, but nothing like my old original PR's. For the sake of argument though, those things were so flattened that a sweeping turn was like trying to balance a knife-blade.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Aaron

I'm also running my PR 3's at a higher psi, 36/40, and still get the grip and feel I want from the tires, and expect that the higher pressures will also mean longer wear than I got on my 'Stones and Road Attacks, neither of which gripped like these 3's. I love them and look forward to riding them in the rain.

In response to:

Poster: Nesbocaj

Subject: Re: Pilot Road 3's pressure sensitive

Seems low to me too.

My PR2s are at 40/42 as a comparison.

That's what I run my PR 2's at, 40/42.

You were running the tires underinflated and got used to it. Properly inflated the tires seem much more responsive. Work your way up in two stages so you can adjust.

I'm also running my PR 3's at a higher psi, 36/40, and still get the grip and feel I want from the tires, and expect that the higher pressures will also mean longer wear than I got on my 'Stones and Road Attacks, neither of which gripped like these 3's. I love them and look forward to riding them in the rain.

I've been running that pressure on a pair since new for approx. 7k miles now, I would say 2k of that has been in the rain with no issues.

Peter Parts

Footnote: if the "10% rule" had any validity (which it doesn't), you still could hide most of these variations within the reading accuracy of my gauge.

Footnote 2: with progress in tire construction and variation among tire brands, less and less sense paying attention to BMW pressure recommendations.

Footnote 3: Bridgestone BT23 are real nice for sport and touring because they have sharp handling at lower pressures. Best of both worlds. Progress.

Ben

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I just had Michelin's put on my car to replace the ones that wore out. My tire installer said that he just got a letter that Michelin is no longer going to be in the motorcycle tire business starting next year. Anyone heard this as well?

I run my PR3's at 37/42 and ride 2 up quite a bit. Grip seems amazing to me, but these are my first set of new tires. The ones that were on the bike when I got it were crap. I have about 2,500 miles on mine so far. Seem to be wearing really well.

John Bentall

I've just been onto the Michelin website in Germany.

For the R1200RT it clearly states that the recommended pressures are 2.3F/2.5R bar which translates to 33/36.

However the recommended pressures for the

R1200R/R1200ST/K1200R/K1200GT/K1300R/K1300GT are 2.5F/2.9R which translates to 36F/42R.

I run mine at 36/42 and will be sticking to that.

Peter Parts

The basic concept: you run the lowest pressure you can (for comfort) that will maintain the handling you want. So if you are a stickler for sporty handling, you need to run higher pressures. As far as I know, maintaining handling is the reason you have to go to higher pressures with a passenger.

As far as I know, there is no difference in comfort among tires, just a matter of air pressure. Older bikes and that generation of old tires handled as well as they could at lower pressures than modern tires and the suspensions worked accordingly. Modern tires on old bikes are harsher or you need to rethink the suspension bits.

That's what is nice about the new Bridgestone BT023 - they handle very well at lower pressures than other tires.

Please correct any misunderstandings I might be posting (as if I needed to add that).

Ben

Ozonewanderer

An interesting situation:

PR3 melting:

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-...d-3-here-8.html

Shredding:

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-...d-3-here-9.html

I'll be interested to see the company's response on their Facebook page (Michelin Pilot Road 3):

https://www.facebook.com/michelinpilotroad3

I assume (hope) that it is a one time QC problem. Shocking nevertheless.

PR2's 33-38 solo 36-42 to up. That above post about higher pressures for "sportier" handling is WRONG!!! Do a trackday and see what goes on in the pits with tires!!

PR2's 33-38 solo 36-42 to up. That above post about higher pressures for "sportier" handling is WRONG!!! Do a trackday and see what goes on in the pits with tires!!

I would think the higher the tire pressure the smaller the contact patch! Which might be great on reducing rolling friction for better MPH. But not so much for knee dragging/peg scraping on turns!! I am betting the pressure is based on tire/track temperature and optimal contact patch, and that would not be towards the high end!

George Brown
Seems low to me too.

My PR2s are at 40/42 as a comparison.

When I first got my '97 in '99 the front tires (Mez4's) were cupped. Service manager at Cross Country BMW at the time advised me to run 40F/42R. I've used those pressures ever since without and unusal wear patterns or handling issues - couple sets of Mez4's and a couple sets of Mez6's. Now have a Mez6 on front with 5K miles and a PR3 on rear with 2K miles.

FWIW, I just road a lot of back roads in PA plus US250 in WV and I like the feel of the PR3 on the rear - never felt loose.

Peter Parts

Yes. Of course! Why didn't I think of that: pee'ing into a pickle jar is very helpful for tire performance.

But c'mon TrickLidz, is there anything else about pit behavior that you are hinting at?

Ben

Footnote: the whole matter of tire rubber, temperatures, and PSI is handled quite differently for road racing. And I didn't mean nutty high pressures in "that above post".

Most RT owners I know aren't riding them in races, some track days, yes.

Most RT owners I know want a compromise between miles of use, grip, and all weather suitability.

But I've been wRoNg before.

GT

40/42

RSL

40/42

Interesting thread. I have a set of PR3s sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. Been running PR2s and loved them. Glad to hear the 3's are being well received.

I tend to stick to the higher pressures as well.

Been running 38 front and 42 rear on my PR3's and handling/wear so far has been the same for me as the PR2 at those pressures. Only difference I've noticed is they seem to be stiffer or harder as I feel every single bump on the roadway surface compared to my PR2's.

Beemer_Nancy
Hi,

I've been running the PR3's for a couple thousand miles now. Not long ago the tires were 32/34 front and rear respectively. Before a trip I went to 36/39. I do understand that the bike would respond differently, but the amount so was a bit surprising. The bike feels very twitchy. I have ridden at these pressures for about 1000 miles or so, and will be going back to 32/34.

I'm sorry if this post seems a bit obtuse, but does anyone else find the PR3's to be very pressure sensitive?

Overall I love the tires. Great feel and very smooth. Still has the Pilot Road hum during a turn, but nothing like my old original PR's. For the sake of argument though, those things were so flattened that a sweeping turn was like trying to balance a knife-blade.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Aaron

I just ran a set of PR3's about 7K miles in the last month and I found them to be "twitchy" too. I've never felt the bike to be so unstable and I have 34K on the '09. Can't wait to take them off and either put PR2s back on or a set of Avon Storm 2s which I loved.

And for the discussion I've been running the PR3s at 39/41 with the bike fully loaded and I ran PR2s at the same. Dealer suggested the front tire should have lower tire pressure to make it feel more stable. I'm not impressed.

Peter Parts

The actual sizes of tires (when the same nominal size) can be discrepant enough from one model to another that a sensitive butt might tell the difference in trail/handling.

Another reason to be careful when mixing models - although I have never hesitated to mix if otherwise I'd have to toss some good rubber away.

Ben

I scrubbed a brand new set of PR3's installed on my Triumph on Monday. I had very worn PR2's previously. I run 36/42 on my 955i Daytona.

They were a touch twitchy in the beginning (but this could be all in my mind). At the end of a 250Km run through the mountains and on some fast sweepers, they were gripping beautifully and handling well. No regrets.

Linz :)

Archived