IGNORED

Breaking beads to remove tires

macx

Being away from home I don't have all my usual tools & equipment, so am pondering how I can change tires without ruining something or spending so much for fancy tools that I've gotten along without at home for many years that I might as well take it somewhere.

At home on esp smaller tires, I simply put them in a very large vise and tighten the vise with the jaws just missing the rim until the beads pop loose. Here I've got no big vise.

Anybody every try something like that with a decent C clamp and maybe a couple strips of wood? Probly be easier before removing the wheel so the wheel is held stable.

No pounding and hitting the rim, all movement would be slow and controlled.

In a pinch I have used the center stand on the bike to brake the bead. You really need a second person to help since you have to lean the bike way over, but I have done it more than once.

I use a car/truck bumper jack - wheel on the ground or propped on 2 by 4's, jack base plate on the tire and my heavy work bench, though I've used whatever is available on the road - if you can locate a bumper jack now days - scissors jack might do the trick - careful of the brake disc

russell_bynum
What Jaguar said.

Yup.

I've used a long 2x10. Set the wheel down on the ground. Prop the 2x10 up on the tire, just short of touching the rim. Jump up and down on the 2x10 until the bead breaks.

I wonder if the 3 spoon method would work on an RT tire? Insert 3 tire spoons about 3" apart, push the two on the outside down and the inside one up. Works well on D/S bikes. (My Husky for instance)

someone please insert a legal disclaimer here.....wear eye protection, ect...

Archived