IGNORED

What should I replace my Navigator II GPS with?

muffin

I've got a 2005 R1200GS with the factory GPS system. Sadly, Garmin no longer supports the Nav II (Streetpilot 2610) with data base updates. The most recent maps date from 2007. So, is there a replacement out there that will actually fit the BMW mounts (unlikely, I know)? Or... what's the latest hot setup for a motorcycle GPS. I wouldn't mind getting away from Garmin products as their system of map updates is cumbersome(!), to say the least.

Aside from the Zumo 660/665, also check out the just released Garmin Montana. It's advertised as a hand-held, but it's got a lot of navigational functionality and you can buy -- as options -- City Navigator maps and a ruggedized motorcycle mount, with bare-wire power cable and audio out (no Bluetooth, or any of that stuff). It's getting a lot of buzz over on ADVRider. Check out the Montana 600 at GPSCity.com, they have a whole series of videos explaining its features etc.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-montana-600.html

Not sure I'd look at anything but Garmin myself.

Are you running into a lot of areas not shown on your current mapset?

I have a Nav II with I think early 2008 maps and its still fine for 99% of my needs.

You should keep your Nav,if you are not having issues.

Lots of the newer units including the Zumos have a dumbed down interface and can't do things the older ones could.

JR356

There is more to the story than just old maps. The Nav II screen de-laminated and I got Garmin to send me a remanufactured unit to replace it. So far, it has resisted all attempts to unlock the maps (Garmin's codes for unlocking maps rival the President's nuclear release protocols). I spent a fruitless 2 hours with the problem, including a VERY helpful rep from Garmin. I haven't given up yet, but I am close...

Archived