IGNORED

metzler Z6 vs Z8

dannys

Hi guys I need a new pair of shoes and I wonder what is the difference between the metzler Z6 and the new Z8. has anyone had any experience with the Z8 and if they are better why are they lower cost. Thank you

Hi guys I need a new pair of shoes and I wonder what is the difference between the metzler Z6 and the new Z8. has anyone had any experience with the Z8 and if they are better why are they lower cost. Thank you

Not sure when you need the new tires. I'm currently rolling on a set of Z6's. They have over 7,800 miles on them and will likely last another 1,000 miles...if I were to keep them on the bike. These are probably the best tires I've ever owned. The rear tire has already exceeded my past mileage and these tires grip exceedingly well for sport-touring tires. My only complaint is that sometimes, in turns, they howl a bit. That said, I've complained about howling tires with all of the tire makes & models I've used. My riding buddy says I'm hearing things...it could be that my hearing picks up the frequency of howling tires....

I'm planning a long trip at the end of July and will replace the Z6's with a set of Z8's. The Z8's are in my garage...waiting to be put on the bike. The only thing I know right now is that the tread pattern is a bit different. I think the Z8's are not dual compound like the Z6's and the inner cord configurations are slightly different. You may want to check on this as I did the research a while back and my memory is not as good as it used to be ;)

I bought the Z8's instead of another set of Z6's because my BMW tech guy said they were better. Actually, he said that "most of the time," newer tire models are better than older tire models (not like real running shoes where sometimes a new model is not quite as "good").

In any case, by the end of the first week of August, I'll have ~5,000 miles on the Z8's and may be able to give a reasonable comparison. Especially with regard to "howling."

CoarsegoldKid
My riding buddy says I'm hearing things...it could be that my hearing picks up the frequency of howling tires....

You're hearing is fine.

RockBottom

I went from Z6s to Z8s about a month ago and couldn't tell the difference if I didn't look at the side.

Good info! The oem tires on my 11 have about 2k left on them, I'm hoping, and I've been putting on the miles pretty steadily (6,200 since early June) and am looking at the Z8's. I have the Z6's on my 04 1150R and like them, altho am first to admit I have little experience with bike tires. Just got back into riding in 08 and haven't put on that many miles till I got my 12RT in early June.

Am strongly considering the Z8's based on my Z6 experience on the 1150R and from what I've read.

Will be eager to hear you obviously more experienced critique of the Z8's.

Archived