IGNORED

ONE OF A KIND...really

KeyLime

My '99 RT is getting up in miles and I've been looking around for a replacement. I bought the RT in Oregon where the extra tupperware was a blessing. I live in Fl now where the tupperware restricts too much air. I just came across a '96 R1100S with only 21K on the odometer. I love the idea of the same bike with more air, but it's painted in what I've discovered is called "chromalusion." It's kinda dark blue/purple that varies it's shade depending on the angle of view. My wife likes it...I've thought of painting it if I buy it. I've been told that it was a color offered by BMW in 1996 as an option...TRUE? It was allegedly owned by a BMW bike shop owner...don't know where yet. I'm gunna ride it Saturday...please let me know if anyone knows whether or not it could be a real BMW color. More will be reveled...

Thanks.

Seen a couple of bikes painted with what I think you are describing. If its what I'm thinking of that paint is WAY expensive.

Germans? Doing something artsy as an OEM color? Not.

There's a color code on the top of the fuse box under the seat. It's 3 digits. Call your local BMW dealer and give them that code. They'll tell you what the original color was.

Germans? Doing something artsy as an OEM color? Not.

Beg to differ. I had a Volkswagen Jetta that was painted Montego Black Metallic from the factory. In direct sunlight it was black, but towards the evening hours it would appear dark brown (same color they used on Audi 5000's).

I seem to remember someone from this board with an R1100RT painted like this. I think it was Pat, the guy who used to make and sell the auxiliary light mounts for RTs. (the ones that mounted to the mirrors)

?

I haven't seen a bike painted with it, but I've always found cars painted in chromalusion to be gimmicky. The color changes a lot depending on angles and the resulting combinations/transitions aren't always pleasing to say the least.

Wright, That wonderful 99' RT of yours gave me the the Idea that I too could own a BMW, thanks.

The 1100 S is a really great looking bike also.... without all the extra fairing, would putting a new color on it be that big a deal?

Ozonewanderer
Kinda like this?

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=5666&filename=Purpleen.jpg

If it looks like this pic, buy it! Not only does it looks cool, it has got to be a rarity and worth a lot. In fact buy it, garage it and sell it at a collectors auction in a few years...

Archived