IGNORED

Help with info on the Shoei Multitec VS Scorpion EVO 900

johnhunter44

johnhunter44

I think I have narrowed by helmet search to either the Shoei Multitec or the Scorpion EVO 900. It has to be a modular helmet and I intend on using a com system with it. I like the drop down sun visor on the Scorpion but can get by with a colored face shield on the Shoei. I know the Shoei is supposed to be the better, but I think both are safe helmets. I have evaluated both these helmets and both seem acceptable. Now I want to know between these two, which is the coolest, quietest and lightest? Hard to tell by just trying them on in the store. Also, it seems the Scorpion fits a little tighter than the Shoei in the XL, which is my size..

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I like my Multitec but, it isn't quiet. My chin is a bit close to the faceshield....enough that the mic foam cover from the Cardo touches most of the time.

It does seem to flow a lot of air.

I have a Multitec and like it. The ventilation is excellent. I purchased a Cee Bailey shield which cut the buffeting noise down considerably. I also purchased a CX-1V Spectra Chrome Shield which is tinted and mirrored.

szurszewski

I have an XL hi-viz Exo 900. I'm pretty happy with it, but it's not perfect. I do LOVE the drop down sun visor; just as after my first modular I'd not want to go back to a regular full face, I'm not likely to buy another helmet that doesn't have the visor.

It doesn't flow a whole lot of air behind the Aeroflow on my RT, but it does pretty well riding my old R60. The top vent does catch air even on the RT, and it's LOUD. Without that vent open, I find it pretty quiet for a modular.

I have a Sena com system on it, and the not really removable chin skirt (there's also an easily removable extension for that skirt) on the helmet makes it a little awkward to get the mic in/out and makes it really hard to use a camelback type of deal unless you have a 90deg bite valve. That said, once you have the mic adjusted, I have plenty of room to have it either right up to my lips or pushed forward enough so I can't feel it.

The only problem I've had with the helmet in 11 months was water seeping down the inside of the shield from the top. I emailed Scorpion and got a super quick response on how to adjust the latching mechanism to make the shield seal more tightly. Ironically, though I rode with it sometimes seeping for several months, I haven't been out in a good rain since I fixed it back in March.

I think, if it vanished tomorrow, I'd buy another one. I really like the color - I often have people I know only vaguely through work tell me they've spotted me riding around the city - that never happened before this helmet (and I don't know if it's really me they're seeing or not, but it's nice to know they're at least seeing SOMEONE on a motorcycle).

At the last MC show I went to, I tried on every modular that I could find in my size. Everything I tried (IMHO) was a poorer, sometimes much poorer, build quality that the Shoei. With the exception of the Schuberth, which seemed to me only slightly better than the Multi in it's apparent build quality.

The Multi as compared to its cousin the RF series is much nosier.

neil_wilcox

I haven't owned the Scorpion but I have used a Multitec for the past 5 years. The Multi flows plenty of air, even behind a wider windshield. Installation of my Autocomm mike was easy, but there is little room behind the chinbar with the mike there. I previously used a System helmet and always developed a headache at the end of the day. The Multi is slightly wider across the temples and NO HEADACHES. A single strip of electrical tape serves as a sunscreen. For me, the most important thing is the fit on my head in order to obtain a safe, tight fit but avoid pressure points.

I liked my first EVO 900 enough to buy a 2nd in Hi Viz. I do wish it was a bit quieter... my only real complaint.

Archived