IGNORED

K1600GT and using an aftermarket GPS

Bear1

With the possibility of a factory "mount" for a GPS on the K1600GT, does anyone know which Garmin unit will work in the factory GPS mounting bracket located under the windshield? I am not interested so much in the interaction of the bike computers with the GPS, but I do like the nice mount for a GPS built into the bike.

Frustrated_Diver

This is unverified, but according to the dealer’s mouthpiece (salesman) the Zumo 660 and 665 will work. However, the do all controller on the left grip will not access the GPS. In looking at the bike, it does look like the connector is about right for my Zumo 660, so i think he may be right.

As suggested above, the "BMW" unit that fits there is the Nav IV, i.e., a re-badged Garmin 660/665.

When they demo'd the 1600 here in Tampa, they did not have the of'ishul BMW GPS, so they just dropped a 660 into the factory mount.

Any idea on the cost difference between the "aftermarket" Zumo's and the "BMW" GPS that works with the controller?

Just my $.02 but if you are spending $21,000+ on a new bike and the coolest feature is the "do all" controller it seems foolish not to get the BMW GPS and be able to make full use of that controller. Dropping another $100 or $200 after spending $21K seems like a rounding error!

• 7 months later...

Now that I have the GT in the garage, the next thing to tackle is getting the GPS. I can get the BMW unit for ~$100 more than the Garmin 660, but would rather have the weather option on the 665 than having an integrated BMW IV.

If the mount for the BMW Navi unit and the Garmin 660/665 are the same, then power is not an issue. But where do you need to mount the satellite antennae if I go with the 665?

• 2 weeks later...

+1 In the past, you've been able to find the mount parts on fiche separate from the navigator.

As suggested above, the "BMW" unit that fits there is the Nav IV, i.e., a re-badged Garmin 660/665.

Archived