IGNORED

HJC IS-33?

TrickLidz

I tried the IS-33 and it is the noisiest helmet I've tried in 40 years! No matter what position I adjusted the windshield on the RT, it roared. Previoously I used an HJC A-3 (no longer avaiable)which looks pretty similar, except the air vents on top are not as pronounced. I suspect it is those vents that create the turbulence for me, and like most vents, they don't really do much good anyway. The XL I ordered was true to size for me.

Bottom line: try it for a short ride and be careful not to mark it up. You may want to return it.

OK, thanks for the report. The only reason I'm asking about it is, I rode to work yesterday with the shield of the RT all the way down and had my KBC modular helmet open (hot day) and I found that the wind noise was quiet (I always wear earplugs and listen to music)

I find myself commuting with the mod helmet open quite often in the summer, and although I know it's not safe---I enjoy the comfort.

So, I thought that a true 3/4 helmet would be great because I wouldn't have half the helmet sitting on the top of my head!

The IS33 can be had for $125 free shipping online.

You might be interested in the HJC model F3. It is similar to the AC3 and the IS33, except it does not have the built in sunvisor like the IS33. No big deal for me as I prefer sunglasses and maybe that extra sun shield was contributing to the noise problem for me. However, the F3 model is both DOT and Snell approved, which the IS33 is not. I figure with both approvals, it probably is as safe as an open face will be.

Also, Competition Accessories on line is selling the F3 for $69 since it is now a discontinued model, replaced I guess by the IS33. I returned my IS 33 and replaced it with the F3.

Good Luck.

You might be interested in the HJC model F3. It is similar to the AC3 and the IS33, except it does not have the built in sunvisor like the IS33. No big deal for me as I prefer sunglasses and maybe that extra sun shield was contributing to the noise problem for me. However, the F3 model is both DOT and Snell approved, which the IS33 is not. I figure with both approvals, it probably is as safe as an open face will be.

Also, Competition Accessories on line is selling the F3 for $69 since it is now a discontinued model, replaced I guess by the IS33. I returned my IS 33 and replaced it with the F3.

Good Luck.

+1 on F3. Mine (FS3?) came with both a shield and a visor. Great helmet for the money. Not quite as quiet as my old Nolan N42 but less than 1/2 the price.

How's the sizing on the FS-3?

Pretty standard. I wear an XL in Arai, Nolan, and Schuberth, so recently got an XL in an FS-3. It's more of an oval than I prefer, but it works when the temperature is above 90.

Archived