IGNORED

Road Pilot 3

Roy in SC

Has anyone tried the Road Pilot 3 tires yet? Much like many of you, I have tried many options for tires, with none lasting more that 5 to 6 thousand miles. I ride 2 up most of the time, fairly agressive in the turns, very seldom going on the freeway.

Thanks

Has anyone tried the Road Pilot 3 tires yet? Much like many of you, I have tried many options for tires, with none lasting more that 5 to 6 thousand miles. I ride 2 up most of the time, fairly agressive in the turns, very seldom going on the freeway.

Thanks

If you ride somewhat agressive, no tire that sticks good is going to last, Metz, RoadSmarts, PR2's I've used are worn by 5Kish...

I'm sure this is an isolated incident on the PR3's, but see the link below..

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-9.html

Just put on a set on a R1200RT 3,000 miles ago prior to a trip. Mostly Interstate and straight roads. Lots of rain, they felt terrific in on the wet roads. The few curves I did find, they felt as secure as the Z6's that I normally run. But I really did not push it in the turns. My initial reaction is that the will be fine in the twisties, but I'm going to take it easy on them until I know for sure. No sighs of a chicken strip or cupping after all those straight roads, my Z6's would have had a strip down the middle of the rear. My initial reaction is that they are great!

Steve

Thanks

I cannot speak directly to the mileage expectation from the PR3s, since I only replaced my PR2s less than 1k ago. But if they wear anything like the PR2, it is the best so far. I got 12k out of my last PR2s........I have never gone farther than 8k on any other rear tire. Plus, both front and rear wore out at the same mileage. That has never happened before.

So far, the PR3s are at least as sticky, seem to transition better, and stick better when wet. If they last like the PR2s, I have a new winner. YMMV.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Saw a post on one of them not doing well on this board or advrider.com.

The way rubber products are made, my best guess is an isolated case.

I have a set of PR3s on currently, but only have 2500KM on them so cannot speak to longevity. What I can speak to though is how they perform and to be frank I'm fairly astonished by them:

Best wet weather tyre I have ever used, bar none.

Dry performance I would claim as very good rather than excellent, but bear in mind that before this I ran Metz M3/M5s for quite some time, which are of course a different class of tyre, I would not expect the PR3 to compete with them on outright grip. Having said that, the difference is not massive, it amounts really to the odd squirm from the rear when applying power aggressively out of turns while the front I must say has been solid.

They don't feel to drop into turns as willingly as the M5s, but then I would not really expect them to and this is fairly easily remedied with an extra shove at the bars. This could of course also be due to me still getting used to the transitional nature of the tyres, time may improve this.

As stated, I cannot reliably comment on longevity, but I will note this: They are seemingly hardly marked from the riding I've put on them so far and I'm riding no differently than I did on my old tyres. Given that I would routinely completely kill a set of M5s in 6500-7000KM, this has to bode well.

Bottom line, I cannot speak highly enough of them.

ryan_a1982

Some other posts have people worried about the PR3's. One guy has shown that his rear tire basically disintegrated after riding in + 100F degree heat.

I read those posts a day prior to leaving on a loaded, 2-up 1,150 mile tour on my R12RT. They got me a tad worried.

I have to say that after having about 4K miles on these tires, they are great!

The last day of the ride I had about 250 miles of twisty riding and over half of that was in above 100 degree F heat and the tires were great. I do not have the BMW spec tire either. After about 4K miles the tires are just starting to get a slight flat spot in the middle.

FWIW I do recommend them.

I also have quite a few miles on them in the rain and they were flawless.

-Ryan

It was explained to me from a reliable source (BMW dealer service dept?) that the only difference on the PR2 and the PR3 was the tread pattern. Flex, rubber, compound, etc, all the same only tread different, which is visible.

And that therefore it was just a better rain tire.

I got good mileage out of the 2s. Therefore, I expect the same on the 3s.

dc

All

The post from Rob1100r relating to the FZ tire separation is disconcerting, as is the feedback that the tires tend to require more effort to turn into a corner. I have never liked harder compounds on my tires due to a lack of feedback, harder to turn in, and a more slippery feel. I really liked the Continental Road Attacks for feel in the turns and ease of rolling into a corner. Was not as fond of the rate of wear. Sounds like I may just have to get used to getting less wear on anything I put on this bike. Any other feedback is welcome. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Currently running Pirelli Angels on the R. have a bit over 1,000mi on them. Seem to be wearing well, handle great. Had Pirelli Diablo Strada's prior, mounted the Angels with 9,000 on the Strada's, yet they still had some way to go. So, getting 10M out of a set of any skins is a good thing..esp; if they're "the sticky kind." YMMV on independent variables..

Guest Kakugo

4000km on PR3 here (B rear) and all I can say is buy with confidence. Best low temperature/wet tyre out there bar none: I've just rode a tad under 1200km, most of them in pouring rain and well below season average and they were absolutely incredible.

My only complaint with them is that after four sets of PR2's they felt "weird" at first, but in the end it only took time getting used to them.

And don't believe all the horror stories about tyres disintegrating etc: yes, a few defective tyres always find their way out there but that's the same for all manufacturers and never forget many people do utterly stupid things and then try to pass on the blame to the manufacturer (see the infamous Kawasaki frame fiasco) to milk them for cash. If you think your tyre has any issue just ring Michelin and they will dispatch a field rep out in no time.

I have the Conti Road Attacks and I hate them. I would like to just scrap them to go to the PR3.

The PR2 I loved from the first mile.

But I am a big fan of, and prejudicial toward Michelin.

dc

Francois_Dumas

Dang, was just going to ask the same question as OP. RP3's seem to be the better rain tire, which is what I am looking for. Many mountain passes on slippery and wet roads have me looking for the best tire on those.

Mind you, the Metzelers have so far performed fine. Am on my 3rd set and I do some 19.000 km with a rear tire usually.

My 'tire guy' said that the RP3 would be a tad less suited for our relatively heavy touring bikes, which put extra pressure on the soft side rubber compared to lighter racing bikes.

For 'touring' that should not matter so much and make it 'equal'.

• 2 weeks later...

After some nudging from a friend who works at Michelin, I went the Road Pilot 3's. First thoughts - the RP3's take more effort to turn in than the Conti Road Attacks or Metzelers, and do not hold the line as well or as easily. I have put about 1,500 miles on and am getting a little more accustomed to the feel. Riding in the rain is not a problem, nor the high temperatures. The bottom line will be wear. If I only get my usual 5 to 6 thousand miles on this set, I will go back to a better handling tire.

Bronx Cheer

Have a hundred miles on my PS3s so I'm going easy on them for break in. They feel just fine and not much difference between the PS2s they replaced. Going to put about 1K on them next weekend with a trip to Colorado. I'll let you know.

I have a PR2 rear and a PR3 front (at my tyre distributor's recommendation). They replaced BT-03s. First impressions? (I only have about 600 miles on them) ... hugely "stickable", especially in the wet. He claims the PR3 clears a track for the PR2, and I have so far had no reason to doubt this. I wouldn't call turn in "fast", but I would call it "stable". I'm leaning the bike over further than I've ever had the confidence to do before, and it's been rock solid, so far. I don't consider them "soft" tyres; i.e in terms of comfort, they tend to thump a bit over irregularities. But I have to say --- so far --- I'm hugely impressed.

I'm curious, what is it that you hate about the Conti Road Attacks?

+1

??

+2 - I love them, didn't like the PR's. But haven't tried the PR2 or PR3. My next tire will be the Continental Road Attack 2.

• 1 month later...

I didn't like the PR's, so I never tried the PR2's.

Loved the Conti RoadAttacks and was looking forward to trying the Conti RoadAttack2's, but had to change tires at the Finger Lakes Rally and thought perfect time to try the PR3's.

Less than 1,500 miles on them but I really like the feel, stick, etc., especially in wet conditions. Very confidence inspiring in every road condition I've encountered so far.

If I can get anything above 8,000 miles I'll have a hard time giving the RA2's a try....

I just got back Saturday from a 3k ride from NM to CA and back home across hiway 50. We spent a couple days dodging T storms, so I got some wet (And even muddy) road miles. I have to say, nary a wiggle......The PR3s stick just as well in the wet as in the dry, to my surprise. I have about 5k on them now, and no sign of squaring off, either. I liked the PR2s, but so far the PR3s are a full cut above.

I now have 10000KM on these tyres and I have to say that they just continue to impress. Not squared, not gone off at all, they grip as well as they did when new.

I will concur with an earlier post that they feel 'weird' to begin with, it's hard to define a better term, they just have a distinct turn in that takes a little getting used to. Not bad you understand, just different.

I'd suggest my set has about 3-4000KM left in them, assuming they don't suddenly go off and lose grip as some tyres are wont to. This is a record by a fair margin for my K bikes, so given that I do wear the rear from edge to edge and ride fairly hard at times while never having had these things step out (yes they do slide if you're really pushing, but they do it very predictably, no big step outs), I have to say that they have been a winner for me.

I will be interested to see how the next set handles the warmer months, I do have my fears that they may suffer a little there as all those sipes have to mean a fair amount of heat generation. I will report.

Have just put 13k Miles on my PR3s. Just thinking about changing but won't even consider changing to another brand (unless there is a PR4!1)

How does the front look after that many miles? I usually get cupping when the miles get up there (other brands). The tread pattern on the PR3 looks like it would be less inclined to cup. I only have a couple thousand on mine.

Have just put 13k Miles on my PR3s. Just thinking about changing but won't even consider changing to another brand (unless there is a PR4!1)

How does the front look after that many miles? I usually get cupping when the miles get up there (other brands). The tread pattern on the PR3 looks like it would be less inclined to cup. I only have a couple thousand on mine.

I am changing the pair as the back has just worn down to the bottom of the fine channels. I always change in pairs but I have to say that the fronts look like they would do another 10k! No sign of any degradation.

I have about 1000 miles left on my current tires. The front is a Dunlop Roadsmart, which has about the same amount of tread left at 6,500 miles as the PR2 on the rear at 11,500 miles, with very little squaring off. This is the first time I have ever gotten more than 10,000 miles from a rear tire, so I am very impressed.

Based on the new tread pattern (which looks like it should be both quiet and good in rain), I'm sold on a PR3 for the front, but I am trying to decide between the PR2 or the PR3 for the rear. Opinions (never in short supply here, when it comes to questions about tires and oil)?

I have a PR2 rear and a PR3 front (at my tyre distributor's recommendation). They replaced BT-03s. First impressions? (I only have about 600 miles on them) ... hugely "stickable", especially in the wet. He claims the PR3 clears a track for the PR2, and I have so far had no reason to doubt this. I wouldn't call turn in "fast", but I would call it "stable". I'm leaning the bike over further than I've ever had the confidence to do before, and it's been rock solid, so far. I don't consider them "soft" tyres; i.e in terms of comfort, they tend to thump a bit over irregularities. But I have to say --- so far --- I'm hugely impressed.

Got back from a 2,500 mile trip to central Italy. I'd previously done about 1200 miles on my PR3s so they now have 3,700 miles on them.

We went through some of the heaviest rain I've ever ridden in on Swiss highways, rain through alpine passes, 100 degree temperatures in Italy, loads of twisties in the Vosges, Dolomites, Switzerland and Austria. The RP3s were brilliant in all conditions and I can hardly see any wear.

I previously always ran on Dunlop BT-021s and will not be going back. As others have said in this thread I will not use any other tyre until they bring out PR4s.

Cheers

Phil

• 3 months later...

Ok so I'm a sucker for a good sell job and I have to say that I'm sold on the PR3 to the point where I've fitted a pair. So far I've just ridden back from the shop in the wet and they felt brilliant - just like it was dry in fact. However, I'd like to try and get best value out of these so without wishing to open yet another box of Pandora's, the following question Is aimed at those who have run them for a while and have got good mileage out of them:

What pressures where you using?

(Ok I'll go and hide now......)

Incidentally, I'm running a 98 RT11

I had a set of PR3's installed on the bike last summer when my Metzlers finnally gave up the ghost. After the install, I had to ride through constant rain for the ride home from St. Johns Newfoundland. The tires performed flawlessly for me. I ride two up with a Bushtec trailer in tow.The only thing I found about these tires is that they are noisy for the first 2k......after that they have quieted down some. Yeah......I'd buy them again. :grin:

I run the same tire pressures as 10ovr

I was talking to a CHP officer over at Irv Seavers BMW today and the subject of tire pressure came up.

On his R1200RT, they run 50psi front and rear.

WOW

He said because of the sometimes high speeds they ride, they want ZERO wall flex.

The owner of BMW Pomona suggested he sets the pressure of the tires at 50psi when he takes off on one his long journeys. Said he gets better wear that way.

Might be something there the rest of us only guess at.

Archived