IGNORED

GPS use

KCB

How do the touch screens on gps's work if you wear gloves? Zumo/Garmin seems to be the choice, any other suggestions for a brand or a lower priced unit to try out before shelling out for a fancy one? Thanks

Morning KCB

The Garmin GPS’s I have owned will work OK when using gloves (IF) a rider can get a gloved finger to hit the correct spot. (buttons OK, touch screen not so good)

I have issues with most of my riding gloves getting any of my Garmin touch screens to do what I want. Oh, they usually do something when touched with a gloved finger just not what I am expecting sometimes.

My present work around is a plastic stick with that I can pull out of a little storage socket then use that to touch screen in the correct location.

Appreciate the feedback!! Haven't seen too many button activated units recently, guess I'll choke up and purchase a good one. We've been using 2D gps (maps) but it's time to get away from the damp paper. Thanks

kcb

Starfighter

My Touratech gps nmount came with a soft rubber pointer on a small chain.........

Seems like an easy thing to make maybe using a hard(ish) refill for an electric eraser.....(art supply store)

I bought a Nuvi 550 (waterproof and "motorcycle friendly") instead of spending the bigger $$ for a Zumo. Works great with gloves, easy to see the screen even in the middle of the day. (If there is glare, I just shield with my hand while taking a peek; will probably add a glare shield at some point.)

You're liable to do okay with your gloves on. I get frustrated with fat fingering everything that way though. I went and bought one of those plastic stylus pen thingys at an electronics shop. I attached it to my RAM mount with one of those key card reels they give you at work. Then the pen just sticks on the side with some velcro. sounds a little goofy, but it works great. the velcro holds it in place, and the little reel keeps me from dropping it.

I have a nuvi 500 and it works great on the bike. I rigged a sun shade for a cross country trip. But the shade fell off after a bit, and it turns out it really wasn't necessary anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

AEH,

Went with your suggestion, found a nice used 550, saved a few bucks and it works just fine. I'll still carry a 2D gps (map) for old time memories!!

Thanks again,

Yeeha! Stephen
You're liable to do okay with your gloves on. I get frustrated with fat fingering everything that way though.

I went the ultra low tech approach. I stuck a dab of silicon sealer to the pointy finger of my left glove. Shaped it kinda like a bead and let it set up.

Archived