IGNORED

How to properly balance tires.

TrickLidz

Me, too. Went right to it, and I've soooo much security stuff (have lost too much too often, NO MORE!) but no problem accessing it as I sometimes do. Thanks, good clear simple to understand write-up.

I'm fairly close to a new set of tires to replace the oem's, altho they haven't done "all that bad" for oem bike tires - 7200 & they probly have 1500 to 2000 left. I looked when I got home from work today and, contrary to previous experience, the front actually has less tread left than the rear. And I'm not that hard (any more :-) on the throttle or the brakes. This is on an 11 R1200RT, diff brand tires front/rear of course, so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway - -

In the area I'm currently living/working, there's no "deals" on tires like, ironically, at my small town home dealer. So, Marc Parnes are you listening? You've got an order coming shortly.

ANYWAY - I'm 1700 miles from home and thus without most of my tools other than some basic metric sockets, star & hex wrenches.

I've "looked around" this forum & others to try to find a decent tire tool that isn't overly costly but that a reasonably adept and experienced person can use without destroying the rim.

I don't have any way of fastening the rim down to anything and no stand or anything to work with, so am thinking I might have to remove the brake rotors to avoid damaging them as all I have to work with is some cardboard on the floor. Of course indexing the rotors to the rim if that does become necessary.

I've changed enuf auto type tires on alum rims as well as small off-road types, so I think I can handle breaking the bead. It's getting the tire off that I'm still researching, and of course the main consideration is an effective tool.

Appreciate any leads - sounds like there is a wealth of experience here that I would assume would include just such info.

I've setteled on a HF unit. Cheap but does the job. I just use the basic unit without the MC adapter. I tried the MC adapter but it really isn't needed. I drilled four holes in my garage floor and put lead inserts in then just bolt it down when I need it. Most of the time it is up against the wall with just cap screws in the holes to keep out dust. About $60. I did add Mitches rim savers and I also use his Mojo bar and have no trouple on street or dirt tires. On balancing, I use Marc Parns unit but a little differently. I balance my wheels without the tires but with the TPM and stem very carefully then just change tires without re-ballancing. I've checked it severl times and the tires have never changed the ballance. Makes it much faster and easier.

Archived