IGNORED

Bicycle Computers/Speedometers

jeffm

I fitted a bicycle computer to my R1150RT a few years ago. A Sigma BC906 to be precise.

It works well. I can calibrate it accurately by setting the wheel size, in the device menu, based on road distance markers, and also cross-check speed with a GPS.

I beefed up the rotating magnet to allow for greater air gap between magnet and sensor, by using small 1mm disc rare-earth magnets available on eBay. This also worked well.

But the other day...

I was fiddling around with installing a similar speedo setup on my K75S. I dropped a magnet and after about 10sec of looking for it, I found it - attached to a front disc rotor.

Glad I found it. :dopeslap:

If this happened while riding, could be rather nasty result for front brake function, disk or pad. These magnets are only about 1mm thick.

Makes me rethink about the safety of these speedos.

A warning to others contemplating using these speedo devices.

Exactly my experience! Mine actually lodged itself in one of the relieving holes in the disc - however these rare earth magnets are very brittle and I suspect would shatter as soon as they came into contact with the calliper/pad

But yes, they can make an excellent additional tripmeter or alternative speed indicator (when on the Continent for example)

Peter Parts

Installed one on a pulley wheel on my home treadmill. Works nice. You just set it so that it reads 20% fast and so you needn't waste so much good time on the treadmill.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting idea. I've long been into bicycles, but I hadn't thought of this simple addition to the info gauges.

The speedometers are accurate on bicycles well over 60 mph, as hair-raising mountain descents have verified. Even the cheap ones have lap timers, stopwatch functions, and multiple odometers. So, it would definitely be a cool and simple addition.

I'd worry about the magnet attachment on a moto, too, though. The magnets are always coming out of alignment on a bicycle, and with all that important hardware on the front wheel of my bike I'd want to be sure I had it locked down...

I mounted my rare earth magnet to the rim with a dab of epoxy and bolted the sensor to a strip of credit card - this in turn was attached to the fork leg allowing a degree of "give" in the event of a foreign body getting stuck on the wheel

Archived