IGNORED

TouraTech Tank Bag Review for R1200RT

FWA1200RT

I recently purchased the TouraTech Tank Bag for my 2011 R1200RT. The specific model is TOURATECH Flat R12RT Tank Bag. Cost was $164.

It is a single compartment bag with a nice clear map holder. The inside dimensions of the bag are 3 inches deep x 9 inches wide x 13 inches long. It is deeper near the seat. It is easily attached to the MC with "belt apparatus" at the front of the tank that releases with the twist of 2 buttons and then is velcroed at the rear of the seat. The bag does not interfere with controls or riding position. The bag functions as small item storage.

The only negatives I see so far is the zipper is of a medium size not the larger size I am used to with my Marsee Bag and it did not come with a rain cover.

I just finished a 3 day ride into the Michigan UP and was extremely happy with the bag. It rides tight to the tank rails, no buffeting at all. It easily moves for access to the fuel cap. You just release the 2 front buttons and fold it back onto the seat. I stored all my misc. electronics, camera, GPS, sun glasses, gloves, tire gauge, flashlight, etc, etc, etc in the bag. It worked great! I had heard some comments about when full the bag will sag and possibly scratch the tank. I did not see that issue but as a precaution I cut a piece of "foam" drawer liner to fit between the tank rails which would protect the tank from any rubs. I used a rain cover from a Cortech Wedge shaped Tail Bag during the downpour I rode in and the tank bag did not get wet at all. I am very happy with the bag.

Doug

My attempt at providing pictures follow. No promises.

set-72157627195182954

set-72157627195182954

set-72157627195182954

set-72157627195182954

After learning of the ridiculous by crazy price for the oem tank bag, I also recently got that same "flat" bag.

I ride my bike to work and have a "hang tag" I have to dig out to show the gate guard. My first experience with gloves on that small zipper without stopping was less than joyful. I solved that by clipping a circlip (?) thru the zipper tab that I can now easily find in the dark with my gloved hand to open the zipper.

One other thing I would very much like to have seen would be to have the bag expandable (upwards) a couple inches to carry the occasional taller item when my cases get full. And maybe a small external pocket or two. After a number of longer trips and several maps in the pouch all the time, the top of the bag started to sag down. I stiffened the cover with some small rigid pieces glued to the underside, lenthwise along the edges as well as across the center and the back. Really straightened the lid up.

Other than that, it's a great alternative to the BMW oem bag at roughly half the cost. It mounts easily, seems secure even in the worst winds (50 mph with 65 mph gusts coming at me from 10:30 position for well over 100 miles one afternoon) and doesn't interfere with my bars even though I've got the max-rearward/upward Ilium barbacks.

From what I was able to find, it's about the only decent alternative to the oem bag.

Oh, if the bottom of the bag was also flat rather than that deep crevass at the rear it would be easier to find small items in it. They all seem to drop down in that area and get buried and tangled together. Gonna have to work on a "filler" for that area.

I too have the flat bag and I love it.

It does not take much to flip back when fueling and able to carry all kinds of junk in there.

Sunglasses, that is where I throw my gloves when going into the store, garage door opener clipped to the side or in the clear plastic top storage, several earplugs, wallet, phone charger and so on. Sometimes food ends up in there from the grocery store, eggs, bread or other small items.

I think it is ugly as hell, but I love it and it is very functional. Not too big not too small, two thumbs up. It is great, and best of all it came with the bike :)

Any idea how the Touratech compares to the tank bag from Big Mak Accessories? Did you consider that one? That one with base, tank bag, and map pouch is about $100 more than the Touratech.

I'm shopping for a tank bag for my RT and was just looking at this exact bag, but can you tell me something? On the right side of the bag is a cable running through some loops. What is that used for?

Not exactly sure what that elastic cable is for. It is either cosmetics, for looks, or possibly you could cinch a bottle of water there for drinking? There are no real adjustments on the cable. Because the bag has some rigid staves in it, you can't use the cable to cinch the bag down tighter.

Archived