IGNORED

.Mysterious case of the shrinking 020's

Survived-til-now

Survived-til-now

I have been buying Bridgestone 020's for years, the last 6 years being on my 1200RT and I have noticed something rather odd.

A new front always has circa 4mm depth of tread when new and the rear had circa 7mm, then 6mm and now my latest has 5mm. The difference between the first two could be put down to differences in where I took the measurement although it caused a frown at the time. The latest new tyre was very obviously less of a tyre than the one I had just had replaced (at 4mm tread left because of a puncture - but that was far from new).

Anyone else noticed this reduction in tread, and thus life or could it be down to the different fitment, a KK instead of a CC - which seems unlikely?

B'stone makes, or made, a couple of model-specific 020s aimed at the heavier sport-tourers. My ST1300 had those and they looked like they had more tread depth. For sure they had stiffer sidewalls (the techs hated mounting them!) So maybe that's what you are noticing. Look for a special code after the tire size on its sidewall. I think the newer RTs that come with B'stone 023s say "GT".

pete

Survived-til-now

Pete

That the special fitment CC and KK to which I was refering.

The CC is what I always had on the rear and is correct for the 1200RT

The KK is supposed to be for the K1200 or 1300 GT but that's what my dealer obviously had in stock.

For the moment I'll give Bridgestone the benefit of the doubt and see how the KK lasts - then I'll know if I need to be very specific indeed when ordering a new pair of tyres.

Archived