IGNORED

Russell Day Long Problems

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

Let me start by saying that I have been a big fan and advocate of the Russell Day Long saddle for ten years. Last year we sold our 2000 R1100RT which we put 165,000 miles on over the course of ten years. We purchased a 2011 R1200RT late last fall and the very first modification that we insisted on was another Russell seat. Seats were ordered over the winter and tried this spring with my wife being very happy with the new seat and myself being very unhappy with the seat. The seats were sent back to Russell for modification and the modification helped somewhat. We just got back from a two week 6,000 mile vacation and I cannot ride long (2 hours max) on this seat before I have to get off. Not as bad as the stock seat but no comparison to the seat on the 2000 RT. It almost seems as though the seating area on the new RT has been shortened up. I am going to contact Russell again to see if there is anything they can do but I am suspicious that they are all done with modifications. Anyone experience this on the newer RT?

I'm "all ears" as a new seat is about the next item on my list for this winter.

I was thinking Mayer, but if there's some situation that makes improving it difficult, I would like to know.

I'm "all ears" as a new seat is about the next item on my list for this winter.

I was thinking Mayer, but if there's some situation that makes improving it difficult, I would like to know.

I have a Bill (Rocky) Mayer seat that I love. He uses all foam (custom poured cores based on his dad's designs - & updated by Bill Jr.) of various densities & shapes. Russell uses similar foams + springs & a wider wing area (that's the part where larger people's buttocks spread out to the side). Russells are just about the only solution if you weigh more than 225 or so. Foam won't provide the support & cushioning that springs will for people who weigh north of that. Smaller folks don't need the springs & extra width to get comfy.

Interesting and unfortunate. I have no experience with Russell other than the '97 I just bought has one on it. Obviously it wasn't built for me but the owner was similar in build and weight. So far it seems very nice but my experience is quite limited.

I don't suppose you still have access to your old seat for measurements?

BMW changes so slowly on a proven platform like the RT its hard to imagine them being that different.

I doubt it would be of value to you since they're custom units but I'd be happy to measure anything on mine if it would.

Steve Kolenda

Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I suspect the seat on your 97 looks very similar to the seat that was on my 2000. If you go to the classifieds at the very beginning you will see a Russell seat for sale. That is exactly what mine looks like. Somewhat different than my old seat.

Archived