IGNORED

Specialty motorcycling socks

blackyam

Specialty motorcycling socks  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, everyone. The Aug 2011 issue of Rider magazine features a buyers guide for specialty motorcycling socks ("Sock it to Me," pp 62--71), e.g. Sokz socks. I've always used cheaper tube socks that come in "value packs." My question is, Do you believe that these more expensive specialty motorcycling socks are worth the extra cost? TIA.

---John.

I have not tried this brand, but I do use a heavier duty sport sock in my riding boots.

In my hiking boots, I have an extremely more expensive super cushioned sock, so I can hike more comfortably.

Unless my hip or back gives out, then I have to sit down.

dc

I bought a couple of pairs of motorcycle socks from Aldi, a discount grocery store that has regular theme bases offers - the motorcycle offers usually come up in the spring.

The socks are marked L and R, they have reinforced soles and a reinforced section over the left toe to cushion the gearchange - needed on a Beemer :D

They worked so well that I bought another half-dozen pairs the following year. I only use them for long-distance tours, not my commute, but they make a big difference to comfort.

Andy

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Have not tried those but, this winter went to wool socks for the morning commute and won't wear anything else. Sweaty hands and feet. Summertime, I'm evaluating light weight wool and some synthetics.

Cotton is "right out", just like the number 5.

Beth has used Sokx for years and love them.

I use wool, high/calf length, pretty much year round.

I think they were made for skiing or hiking with reinforcements

in various areas.

Feet need to be comfortable.

I use Smart Wool socks for warm weather because they wick well and long ski socks in the cold to keep my shins warm. I never wear tube socks; they wear out too quickly in the heel and are uncomfortable before they do.

-----

I have a couple of pairs of the ones you linked to. I like them for long rides because unlike tube socks they wick moisture away from the foot and most of all they stay up and do not end up bunched in the boot. I like the ones I have and will buy more.

I like Smart Wool socks, but don't like the price. I recently found 97% Marino wool socks, nice and thick, about $8. They are warm and comfy. Got'em at Zellers, I think that's like K-Mart in the US.

They are too hot for summer riding. So I found the same height, still 97% Merino wool, but mens dress socks. About $10. Only wore them for 2 days so far, but I'm liking this wool sock business.

Both socks have some kind of micro-biologic no-stinky feet stuff in 'em. Seems to work.

I don't like cotton socks, sweaty feet don't dry out in cotton.

I've ridden numerous 500 mile days, many 750 mile days and a few 1000 mile days. I use cotton socks on all my rides. My boots are ankle height and my feet do breathe. Socks never seem to be an issue, perhaps because there is not much foot movement and related sweating. Most of my rides are in the northern US and Atlantic Canada where summer temps are in the 80s - 90s.

Now when I go hiking, it's different. The feet are having a real workout and depending on the temp, I go with light weight to heavy weight wool socks. Brand is not important as long as there is a major wool content and appropriate cushioning for the task.

If you do want to use specialty socks, I would suggest using it only if cotton socks are not working. There is no magic in motorcycle socks. If you want wool socks, just go to your local outdoor store and get lightweight to heavyweight socks based on the temps you want to use it for.

Allen Rowand

I wear Smart Wool hiking socks from REI. They work really well with my Combat Lite boots, especially to keep the stupid scratchy label stitched on the inside off my calves. Much more comfortable than my usual Gold Toes. But I may try some of those Sokz…

I don't use "motorcycle specific" socks, but I do use special merino wool socks that make a world of difference. They keep my feet dry on the hottest of hot days (100+ degree days when I ride from sun up to sun down). They are also the same socks I use when hunting, skiing, or snowboarding in the dead of winter. Good socks are good socks, and tube socks from Walmart don't cut it.

I pick mine up from sierratradingpost.com when I get a 30% off coupon.

Guest Kakugo
I bought a couple of pairs of motorcycle socks from Aldi, a discount grocery store that has regular theme bases offers - the motorcycle offers usually come up in the spring.

The socks are marked L and R, they have reinforced soles and a reinforced section over the left toe to cushion the gearchange - needed on a Beemer :D

They worked so well that I bought another half-dozen pairs the following year. I only use them for long-distance tours, not my commute, but they make a big difference to comfort.

Andy

Same thing here, only I bought mine from a local textile mill (yes, not all of them have moved to China! :grin:). Really make a difference in comfort.

I have also been given a pair of socks woven from carbon fiber as a trial sample by a sales rep. Since they were free, why not? Response: ordinary athletics cotton socks (the kind you buy in packs) are better. I don't even want to know how much are they selling these things for.

Combat lite boots and wear Sokz when the temps are high and Smartwool when the temps cool down. Treat your feet to a nice pair of Sokz!

:clap:

Like others posted here I use lightweight Smartwool socks in the hot part of the riding season and medium weight during the rest of the year.

Hi, everyone. The Aug 2011 issue of Rider magazine features a buyers guide for specialty motorcycling socks ("Sock it to Me," pp 62--71), e.g. Sokz socks. I've always used cheaper tube socks that come in "value packs." My question is, Do you believe that these more expensive specialty motorcycling socks are worth the extra cost? TIA.

---John.

No answer available for me. I have used specialty socks made by Underarmour and I find them very effective for long days but I don't Need them to be able to ride.

I bought a pair of these a couple of years ago and, while they're perfectly fine socks, I think you can do as well by going to any hiking store and getting a good pair of long hiking socks.

I like the ones from Kelly hosiery dot com. Bought enough for a week of riding, they are thin and breathe well. Some deals to be had at their site, $10 or so. Some cheaper some more.

I like smart wool if it's cold but can do whatever. In the heat, I like coolmax material.

These socks look to small but do go on comfortably. Trim those jagged nails you neanderthals

I don't sit on my feet, but if I did, I would think about "specialty socks". Seems pretty silly to me. Now, if anybody makes something that would prevent my butt from hurting after 300 miles, I'm all ears.

I don't sit on my feet, but if I did, I would think about "specialty socks". Seems pretty silly to me. Now, if anybody makes something that would prevent my butt from hurting after 300 miles, I'm all ears.

Ever done a 14 hour day in the saddle with temps in the mid to upper 90's? Wearing normal tube socks would have your feet soaked in sweat and complete prunes.......which can lead to blisters, fungus, and all sorts of other nasty crap. A good pair of socks will keep your feet completely dry all day long regardless of the conditions. If you only ride occasionally, and only ride short trips, then its probably not worth the expense. But every time I am heading out for anything longer than about 100 miles, I reach for my silly socks. Anything that cuts down on fatigue is worth it in my book.

To fix your 300 mile butt problem......get a custom seat.

Peter Parts

Sheepskin from Ikea. If NASA invented sheepskin, we'd call it a space age miracle material.

Anybody make sheepskin socks? Could that be "wool"? Actually, sheepskin on the soles is comfy if you have the room for it.

For long scoots, I always wear Teck-something bike L and R socks.

But what makes no sense to me is wearing plastic boots that don't breathe.

Ben

Ever done 2 weeks of 14 hour day s in the saddle with temps in the mid to upper 90's? Wearing normal tube socks would have your feet soaked in sweat and complete prunes.......which can lead to blisters, fungus, and all sorts of other nasty crap. A good pair of socks will keep your feet completely dry all day long regardless of the conditions. If you only ride occasionally, and only ride short trips, then its probably not worth the expense. But every time I am heading out for anything longer than about 100 miles, I reach for my silly socks. Anything that cuts down on fatigue is worth it in my book.

Cotton is for weevils, not motorcycles.

I think it takes a Southerner to get that. Especially an older one! (And I make that observation as an older South Carolinian).

Ever done 2 weeks of 14 hour day s in the saddle with temps in the mid to upper 90's? Wearing normal tube socks would have your feet soaked in sweat and complete prunes.......which can lead to blisters, fungus, and all sorts of other nasty crap. A good pair of socks will keep your feet completely dry all day long regardless of the conditions. If you only ride occasionally, and only ride short trips, then its probably not worth the expense. But every time I am heading out for anything longer than about 100 miles, I reach for my silly socks. Anything that cuts down on fatigue is worth it in my book.

That was more of where I was going with it Tim, but didn't want to go too extreme :grin:

I learned my lesson on my trip to the West coast in '05. I ended up stopping at an outdoorsy style (EMS, REI, etc...) sporting goods store outside of Lincoln, Nebraska where I bought 4 pairs of good socks. That night when we got to the hotel, I threw out every other pair of socks I had brought with me. It was 118 degrees the day we got to the Badlands. I've never ridden in anything like it, but my feet were dry.

I don't know much about socks and riding, but I know when I was in the infantry, and we did 18+ mile hikes carrying 40+lbs of gear, I just wore the plain old issue socks, with a caveat. I would Vaseline my feet up, gooing the stuff on, put a black nylon dress sock on, then the issue sock on. Never a blister to be had, ya, they looked like prunes when done, but no sock will keep them dry at the paces we moved and the heat that we dealt with.

Regular or synthetic vaswline?

Change every 6,000 paces?

Apples and oranges.

Best wishes.

:lurk:

Ozonewanderer

A friend who works in a running shoe store has said good things about coconut socks.

I took a pair of Sokz on a cross country trip and they had me with their Left and Right labeling. How cool was that?! Were they really stitched to such a fine pattern that it made a big difference? I dunno but it appealed to my engineering DNA.

What was truly great about Sokz (and probably other brands as well) was that after each day's ride I could wash them in the motel sink, wrap them in a hotel towel, step all over them to squeeze the water out, let them hang on coat hanger, and they would be dry by morning ready for another day. You can take a journey as long and as far as you want with just one pair of these Sokz along.

To my thinking the only way they could improve them would be if the also labeled them Inside and Outside... :grin:

Regular or synthetic vaswline?

Change every 6,000 paces?

Apples and oranges.

Best wishes.

:lurk:

May be apples and oranges, but I've also sat for hours on end in HMMWV's in 110*+ heat and my feet never got soaking wet wearing standard issue socks, which, are not of great quality.

I really cannot recall at anytime where my feet got wet by doing nothing, but, then again, everyone has a different body and every body reacts to different conditions in different ways.

If you do have excessive feet sweating, use an old Army Ranger trick and use antiperspirant on them.

I don't use "motorcycle specific" socks, but I do use special merino wool socks that make a world of difference. They keep my feet dry on the hottest of hot days (100+ degree days when I ride from sun up to sun down). They are also the same socks I use when hunting, skiing, or snowboarding in the dead of winter. Good socks are good socks, and tube socks from Walmart don't cut it.

I pick mine up from sierratradingpost.com when I get a 30% off coupon.

Keith;

Just got back from a week in California where we rode every day for 10 to 12 hours and one 14 hour day. And it was 105' in Yosemite. Wore normal cotton socks with leather boots. No feet problems, blisters, fungus or whatever. Like I said, your feet just hang out, it's not like you are walking or anything.

As far as the butt, I have a custom seat from Bill Mayer, but am about to send it out to him to have it reshaped. Hopefully, this will make me a happy rider.

Cris

Peter Parts

I have a few pairs of bamboo "dress" socks. Anybody know what special advantages or otherwise for biking?

Ben

I have a few pairs of bamboo "dress" socks. Anybody know what special advantages or otherwise for biking?

Ben

Aren't you worried about being chased by pandas?

Ben

Aren't you worried about being chased by pandas?

In danger of being killed. Panda assassin eats bamboo, shoots, and leaves.

----

RichEdwards

I use Thorlo military calf-lenth socks . Not cheap but they last forever and wash/dry nicely on a long trip. I have about 5 pairs, they're over 6 years old and look like new. And they're very comfortable!

I am absolutely amazed that a sock thread has run four pages. Not sure exactly what that says about us!

Something untoeward is afoot.

Archived