IGNORED

Motorcycle Tire Disposal

Albert

Has anyone found a resource to dispose of used m/c tires. I'm thinking something like NTB, Pep Boys, etc. who might be willing to take tires for a fee.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Yes, tire shops tend to accept your used tires for a fee. I used to drop mine off at a local Belle Tire for $3 apiece, but this spring I discovered the local Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha motorcycle dealer was accepting them for no charge. So check around, you might find someone who takes them for free.

In OKC, we get notices from the city twice a year to bring them in for disposal. I missed the one in spring, so I have to pay attention to the one in fall.

Guest Kakugo

Don't know about your area but the local city dump has an area where you can drop off used tyres. The only thing is you have to show proof of residence (driving license etc). Same thing with used batteries, oil etc.

Local municipal waste transfer station will take them for $3 each, but that has to come on top of a minimum $19.95 load charge. I usually wait until I have enough junk to fill the truck, then add the tires to the load.

Check with some of your local motorcycle shops and they don’t have to be bmw.

3 mc dealers near me have been getting money for their used tires so take all my used tire for free. Before the dealers made money on the used tires they used to charge to take them. Back when they were charging I wasn’t in the mood to be paying so I called my trash company and they told me they wouldn’t take them if set out with the trash but would if cut up and put inside trash bags so I compromised and just folded the tire in half then duct taped it like that and put in a trash bag. No problems with them picking up with trash.

Check with some of your local motorcycle shops and they don’t have to be bmw.

3 mc dealers near me have been getting money for their used tires so take all my used tire for free. Before the dealers made money on the used tires they used to charge to take them. Back when they were charging I wasn’t in the mood to be paying so I called my trash company and they told me they wouldn’t take them if set out with the trash but would if cut up and put inside trash bags so I compromised and just folded the tire in half then duct taped it like that and put in a trash bag. No problems with them picking up with trash.

[Hijack] No criticism implied, but open question. How bad is it - or not - for the environment to dispose of tires on landfills? Rubber is supposed to decompose - I think - in less time than plastic and styrofoam, and is a more natural product. How bad is it? Let's say in a scale of 1-10. [/hijack]

When I called my trash company and they told me they wouldn’t take a whole car or motorcycle tire. When I asked why the answer they gave me was because they don’t stay buried. Not sure exactly why but something about methane gas causing them to float up.

[Hijack] No criticism implied, but open question. How bad is it - or not - for the environment to dispose of tires on landfills? Rubber is supposed to decompose - I think - in less time than plastic and styrofoam, and is a more natural product. How bad is it? Let's say in a scale of 1-10. [/hijack]

Tires are made from vulcanized rubber which doesn't degrade very fast.

From wiki:

Tires are not desired at landfills, due to their large volumes and 75% void space, which quickly consumes valuable space.[2] Tires can trap methane gases, causing them to become buoyant, or ‘bubble’ to the surface. This ‘bubbling’ effect can damage landfill liners that have been installed to help keep landfill contaminants from polluting local surface and ground water.[3] Shredded tires are now being used in landfills, replacing other construction materials, for a lightweight backfill in gas venting systems, leachate collection systems, and operational liners. Shredded tire material may also be used to cap, close, or daily cover landfill sites.[4] Scrap tires as a backfill and cover material are also more cost-effective, since tires can be shredded on-site instead of hauling in other fill materials.

Lone_RT_rider
I've been paying $3.00 each at a local auto parts store. I guess that is better than burning them :P

But they burn a REALLY long time! And its so puuuuuurty.... :)

(sarcasm intended)

Here in NC the local recycling stations accept them for free, but you do have to take them to the larger centers that also accept appliances and what not. We have such a center only 5 minutes away and I dropped off a pair last weekend.

Jay

Check out any local used tire sellers, Tire Town is one in my area. They sell all sort of tires, not bike tires, and will take used bike tires for $.50 each.

Archived