IGNORED

PIAA Installatoin Questions

Albert

I picked up a set of the PIAA 1100x lights for the RT. The kit comes with a switch and relay so it could be tied to the high beam or pull power from somewhere else for continuous operation. I'd like to install a dpdt switch somewhere ahead of the PIAA switch so I could tie to either the high beam (for night time use) or pull power from a continuous source if I want to use them as daytime lights without high beams. Has anyone done this and, if so, where'd you mount the dpdt switch.

Also, anyone run into CANBUS problems tapping directly from the high beam power (this only needs to run the relay). Thanks.

If you want to run them at any time of your choosing, just tap into the parking light as your relay source. Then you can turn them on and off with the supplied switch. My lights are on all the time, I just buried the switch under my seat. Also, by tapping the parking light, these lights will also shut off during a start-up because they'll be tied into the load shed relay. My bike is an 1100RT, so your wiring harness might differ.

Thanks Michael,

What I'd like to do is have a setting like yours for continuous daytime use but have the option of triggering them with my high beams for night time use. I plan to aim them for maximum wildlife detection at night so they won't be viable (for oncoming traffic) if they're on continuously at that time.

Al,

To each his own, but, I always want to be able to turn aux lights

off/on independent of bike's hi/low.

Have PIAA's and Motolights set up.

PIAA's thru euroswitch (turn signal cancel) and Moto's w/own on/off.

We've installed many many sets and never has anyone who had independent control said they wished it waa tied to hi beam.

On the other hand, many who went with the on with high beam switch have said later they wished they were independent of it.

YMMV

Tim,

That's really what I want (but I wan it all :grin:). If I put a spdt switch in the line going to the PIAA switch, I can take power from an arbitrary source that's on all the time, as you suggest. I would like the ability, with the flip of a switch, to convert to the PIAAs triggering from the high beams. I'm just thinking that in higher traffic situations it would be impossible (and likely dangerous) to try to flip a switch whenever I wanted to dim the PIAAs. I may be over thinking the whole thing but then that's one of the privileges of BMW ownership. :rofl:

Albert,

Hasn't been an issue for me.

I may have brights and Moto's on and can see oncoming vehicles

so I just dim the hibeams.

That is easy enuf to do.

When I'm really rural and have 'em all on I can dim w/the euroswitch (r thumb) and high beam (left thumb).

Like cancelling turn signals it sort of becomes 2nd nature.

Good luck.

Sounds like all you need to do is install the spdt switch in the relay circuit. ie the relay to the center tap on the switch then tie your seperate supplies to the two outer connections of the switch. Leave the piaa switch in place or wire around it as you see fit.

Good Luck.

Archived