IGNORED

Reflective cover for system case?

BMW_RT

As the subject line says. Any ideas here?

In addition to combustion-assisted rolling, I'm into bicycling, too. I have had overwhelming anecdotal evidence over the years that an additional light and bright reflective clothing cause cagers to keep some distance in the rear when I'm on pedals. I'm not sure quite what it is, but the alarming brightness just shouts "caution" to them, despite their kids shouting in the backseat and despite the intrigue of their Nora Robertson audiobook.

My gf has a high-vis jacket, and when she's on pillion I detect a similar effect, even at night.

Anyway, some kind of vest-like cover over the system case might be a nice addition. Anything like this around, or known of? I can always adapt one of those safety vests from Wal-Mart, I guess...

There is a reflector tape kit that I had on my 1150 RT. The tape outlines the top case and system cases quite well. It's black in the daytime but lights up well at night. I put that on my bike after almost being rear-ended once at night. It worked well and held up over the years. Check the website for your local BMW dealership. If you don't have a dealership close by try ascycles.com. If they still sell them they will ship it to you.

There is a reflector tape kit that I had on my 1150 RT. The tape outlines the top case and system cases quite well. It's black in the daytime but lights up well at night. I put that on my bike after almost being rear-ended once at night. It worked well and held up over the years. Check the website for your local BMW dealership. If you don't have a dealership close by try ascycles.com. If they still sell them they will ship it to you.

Sold by www.motoequip.com - which is run by our own Effbee

Andy

Allen Rowand

Sold by www.motoequip.com - which is run by our own Effbee

Andy

I'll give a big +1 to MotoEquip. I bought a reflective tape set from the dealer for my last bike, and the installation was not great; the pieces of tape were blocky shapes and it was a nightmare to figure out how it went together.

When I bought my new bike the previous owner gave me a set of MotoEquip tape that he hadn't put on yet; the MotoEquip tape looks much nicer (the pieces are cut to fit exactly where they go) and it was easier to install. Plus, it's Effbee!

Purchased the MotoEquip just recently.

I didn't hold back as you can see below:

1) RK-1

2) RK-4

3) RK-5

4) RK-99

5) RK-22 (black)

6) RK-22 (silver)

So far I have done the Side Panniers and the Top box.

I will be doing my bike helmet with the Checkered Black and my wife's Honda VTR250 with the generic black cut in strips on her black tube frame.

Zero issues with the quality of the product and seems to be well worth the money.

Thanks for the link. The sticker sets are a great option. Just the kind of thing I was looking for.

Or, you can go to virtually any sign shop that sells reflective material and make your own for pennies.

I got a 2 sheet kit from the local dealers and made my own. About 17 bucks. That way I could adjust for the odd bag shapes.

• 8 months later...

One more possibility: I made a "safety triangle" from 2" reflective tape, inside the lid of my top case. It makes a pretty effective warning symbol if I'm stopped by the side of the road:

Edited%2520-%2520P1030381.JPG

I would also like to add someone else's suggestion that you put reflective tape on the bottom of the side cases. In case of a run-off-the-side-of-the-road accident, they will make the bike a lot more visible laying on its side.

-----

Nice job Selden.

Another +1 for Motoequip here. I've put them on every one of my BMWs. They are always a perfect fit and perform extremely well. And as others have said, it's good to support one of our own.

-MKL

I bought a pack of 2" wide, 10" long conspicuity tape strips at Harbor Freight. $5 for 10 strips that are 1/2 red, 1/2 white on each strip. I cut them in half and put the reds on the back of the side cases and the mudflap then put a few strips of white on either side (front tupperware, frame and side of cases). Got about 1/2 of them left over for the truck/bicycle/etc.

Looks like the same stuff Selden used.

Hi. I bought some black-and-yellow tape from Ace Hardware (<$10) that I placed on the back of my side cases.

I like Quinn's idea of placing some reflective tape on the bottoms, too, "In case of a run-off-the-side-of-the-road accident" or, more probably in my case, a u-turn gone bad or parking lot tip-over accident. I hadn't thought of that.

---John.

Archived