IGNORED

On Wearing a Helmet

RockBottom

Even leaving safety completely aside, this is why I wear helmet. After making the mistake of staying for the torturous closing ceremony of the BMW MOA national rally, I rode home along Susquehanna River, the last hour in the dark. This was my helmet when I got home. I suspect the Harley people who passed me sans helmet swallowed a four course insect dinner by the time they got home.

DSC_7877_edited-1.jpg

(And just for the record, this is my "over 90s degrees" helmet--most of the time I wear a full face Arai).

Ahh yes........the good old Susquehanna bug bath :)

I live less than a mile from the river, and the mayflies are out in full force right now. What a huge wonderful mess..... :rofl:

I suspect the Harley people who passed me sans helmet swallowed a four course insect dinner by the time they got home.

Harley riders passed you? I ass/u/me that they were going the other direction? :rofl:

Look at the bright side--in a few weeks you'll have white flies.

But I seriously got passed by Harley guys with no helmets. And I could hear the constant patter of bugs hitting me even with earplugs.

I suspect the Harley people who passed me sans helmet swallowed a four course insect dinner by the time they got home.

Harley riders passed you? I ass/u/me that they were going the other direction? :rofl:

Good point but I was on a deer infested road after dark. That is one of the few things that will allow Harleys to pass me.

Jerry in Monument

We experienced similar bug adventures in Yellowstone-Grand Teton a couple of weeks ago. Every night there was helmet/visor cleaning.

Joe Frickin' Friday

After the last hour of riding one day at UnRally II in Eureka Springs, 2003:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=5677&filename=buggy.jpg

I clean my visor pretty much every time I stop, so this is only what my helmet collected during the last hour of the day.

5677.thumb.jpg.2adb2acce5c3026a2e020be02da882d6.jpg

Bugs?

Those are wannabees...

:)

36791463-M.jpg

Rich's previous GS at BB&B.

Collected these going down Steve's driveway I think.

:lurk:

Kevin-RT1150

Speaking of Helmets. Does anyone have an ingenious idea for caring a spare helmet when you bags, trunk and tank bag are full?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I can't think of anything more ingenious than using a bungee net.

Yep, bungee-net the helmet onto the rear seat.

Bill_Walker

I'm convinced this is why the Harley riders always have grimaces on their faces. It takes tight lips to keep the bugs out!

Speaking of Helmets. Does anyone have an ingenious idea for caring a spare helmet when you bags, trunk and tank bag are full?

Check out Pacsafe.

lidsafe

beemerman2k

This is one major aspect of California riding that I sorely miss, no bugs! OK, maybe a few every now and then, but nothing compared to the east coast. As far as I was concerned, it was a complete non-issue.

Bugs?

Those are wannabees...

36791463-M.jpg

That's what I was thinking. I've had more bugs on my shield coming home from work some evenings than those previous pics.

Mayflies. A while back, I visited Port Clinton, OH in May after some serious Mayflies flew in off lake Erie. Sorry no pics. They were using snow shovels to clear off the sidewalks!

Here is a similar pic from http://www.mayflynews.net/weekly_photo.html.

DSC01147.JPG

Bugs?

Those are wannabees...

36791463-M.jpg

Ah, yes, love bugs. That's why I wear full face behind a windshield all year long.

Looks like a lot have been cleaned off, though. Just dried guts, no bodies.

Check out the picture in the attachment.

A buddy of mine did this 2 weeks ago, and LUCKILY ONLY broke his left collarbone in 2 places AND fractured his right wrist as an added bonus. He says he was going about 40 when he hit a small critter and then a guardrail, before sliding across the road where thankfully, there was no oncoming traffic.

Look closely at the scratches on the visor. They go in almost every direction.

Had he NOT worn a helmet or even a open face 3/4 or beanie type, he wouldn't have a lower jaw or nose.

I found this to be a really excellent reason to always wear a ff or modular helmet.

Just sayin'

Regards

Bernd

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=5686&filename=Shoei.jpg

5686.jpg.b9ad3ba332134e5ee71da803a01cbdfc.jpg

On "old man river" sometimes the bridge lights have to be turned off for the June Bugs to settle elsewhere; otherwise the bridge deck gets very slippery. Having hit more than one of these bugs with my neck I don't know how people can ride without a full visor. Yes it is a pain to have to stop and clean it every 30 miles but eating one of these is not an option since they are about .25"x.5"X.75" and leave a 1.5" diameter smear when they hit. I won't get into details but they DO NOT taste good.

Archived