IGNORED

Bluetooth motorcycle friendly satellite radio?

TM1918

Hey folks,

Does anyone know of a stand alone, Bluetooth enabled motorcycle friendly Satellite radio receiver? If there are no BT models, is there one that you could plug audio ear plugs into?

I was considering a Zumo 665 or a 550, but after some thought, all I really want is the radio. I'm trying to keep it simple and cheap.

Thanks,

TM

Just about all of the Sat radios available have audio out jacks. I know I have had 5 different ones over the years, and they have all had them. You might have to add a boosteroo amp to get the volume and adjustability you need for convenient use, but it should be easy to rig up

I don't think any of the available Sat radios are available with bluetooth. You could get a bluetooth dongle and plug it into the audio out jack on the receiver though. The only catch would be that you would either need to disconnect and charge the dongle daily, or find one that you can hard wire that will turn on and off with the bike.

There are some very good smartphone deals out there.

They come with bluetooth already plus MP3, games, e-mail, text, GPS, organizer, web browsing, FM radio, SPOT messenger tracking, video viewer & thousand's of available apps. And yes, now satellite radio.

Oh, I forgot; it can be used as a phone.

Rod, the only problem with the app for a smartphone is that you will still need cell coverage to use it. The app does not change your smartphone into a satellite receiver, just allows you to access the SiriusXM online radio. You loose cell coverage, you loose the satellite radio application usage.

Rod, the only problem with the app for a smartphone is that you will still need cell coverage to use it. The app does not change your smartphone into a satellite receiver, just allows you to access the SiriusXM online radio. You loose cell coverage, you loose the satellite radio application usage.

Yup, exactly......it works great for me on the bike as long as I am commuting or running around localy because we have a good 3G data connection just about everywhere around here. On a trip, I don't even bother trying anymore. Its not just cell phone coverage you have to rely on, its a good data connection that you need (3G or 4G depending on your carrier). I can get by on the Edge network most times too, but not so much when I'm traveling backroads in the moddle of nowhere. When traveling, I just switch my iPhone over to iPod mode and stream that instead.

just pulled the trigger on a Zumo 550 so I'll be using it for Sat reception. Now, I just need to find a cheap GXM 30 puck. They range from 99 to 150.

thencamebronson

You can use Slacker Radio on an iPhone in the cached mode, no cell coverage needed. There is a charge but less than XM.

Archived