IGNORED

Friend has thorn stuck in middle of almost new tire..what to do?

raporte

Dealer says replace the tire! Why wouldn't a properly fitted patch work as there are many cars riding around with them? Patch vs. $250....makes a guy think! I can see if it was a sidewall issue...but smak in the middle?!?!?

daslowguy710

they say not to patch +or plug tires on bikes but i had a new tire i picked up a screw in the pits (i raced for 10 years)i pluged it and raced on it and took 6th out of around 60 racers

the tire performed perfectly at a very fast pace

i think that tested the plug more than any street ride would

i have pluged several tires befor and after

Paul Mihalka

Dealer position has two reasons: a) liability b) make money. I guess all here would agree that a inside plug/patch makes as good as new. Many here think, me included, that a plug with the sticky strings will do the job.

couple of different tire changers in my area and both say they will ride on a patched tire for it's full life; but only on a plug until they can get to a place where it can be properly patched.

they say not to patch +or plug tires on bikes but i had a new tire i picked up a screw in the pits (i raced for 10 years)i pluged it and raced on it and took 6th out of around 60 racers

the tire performed perfectly at a very fast pace

i think that tested the plug more than any street ride would

i have pluged several tires befor and after

I just plugged my PR2 rear and have had no problems yet and am riding it to the UN, as is. Not my first plug, not my last.

John Bentall
Dealer says replace the tire! Why wouldn't a properly fitted patch work as there are many cars riding around with them? Patch vs. $250....makes a guy think! I can see if it was a sidewall issue...but smak in the middle?!?!?

The hospital put a plug in this lady's head rather than replacing her head with a new one! Norwegian bombing incident

200912121161174972.jpg

Problems come in different sizes & so do solutions.

More about these? Where to get'em?

I have no problem riding on a plugged tire. I have done it a couple of times until their normal life.

However...

I got an aluminum nail in my BT-023 with about 2K on it. It was not a perpendicular hole. I plugged it with this which has worked fine before.

I guess the fact of it being at an angle wore the plug out and it started leaking after 2K more. Mounted a new tire yesterday. New one has 7mm right behind thread wear mark, old one has 4mm. I think it was gonna last beyond 6K, which would have been a new record for me.

If I can get an inside patch that made sense, I would repair it and ride it until gone.

Stick to string plugs. Rubber plugs can tear or be shredded by a steel belt.

Plastic plugs simply don't work as well. The widgies to put in rubber plugs are far more trouble than they're worth.

I have also raced on plugged tires and worn out many plugged tires (for typical small punctures). I don't worry about internal patches though in theory they have an advantage- in the real world string plugs get it done and if you're good putting one in, you can do it and still have a tire with rideable air left in it so you may be able decent pump rather than use whatever slow one you carry. Don't rely on CO2 cylinders- takes too many.

There is a bit of an art to doing plugs well- practice before you need to do it for real. Carry T-handles tools- their slight extra size is more than justified by ease of use.

malcolmblalock

I've used the sticky strings for many years, and have had great success with them. The one most important thing to get them to seal properly is to study the angle of the item piercing the tire and to make sure the sticky string goes into the tire at the EXACT same angle. Otherwise, you may make two holes in the tire!

Any one ever use 'Ride-on'? I recently replace a PR2 with about 500 miles. Considered trying this and remounting the tire.

What you say????

Tom

Archived