IGNORED

Anyone have the black saddlebag protectors on their R1200RT?

johnhunter44

johnhunter44

I think I want to add the saddlebag protectors to my 2009 R1200RT. I already have the cylinder protectors. Someone posted that the part number is 71607963675. Are these made by BMW? I have tried several sites to see pics of this protector, but can't find one. Where can I buy these online? Are they worth it? Anyone have any pics of these on their bike?

johnhunter44

Thanks. Yes, I like the way those look. Where did you get them? Are they made by BMW or aftermarket?

I bought them at my local BMW dealer. As far as I remember, they are actual BMW optional parts.

They are self adhesive, just make sure you got a good eye, they really stick.

I've got them on my '06 RT as well. I got them from my dealer when I bought the bike, but don't have the part number.

AdirondackJack

Important installation caveat:

when you get the protectors, immediately remove the double stick tape that comes with them and replace it with 1/2 inch 3M double stick exterior body tape found at many stores. I was skeptical about this caveat, and almost lost the protectors on my first ride after installing them when the OEM double stick tape failed!

when you get the protectors, immediately remove the double stick tape that comes with them and replace it with 1/2 inch 3M double stick exterior body tape found at many stores. I was skeptical about this caveat, and almost lost the protectors on my first ride after installing them when the OEM double stick tape failed!

Is that 3M tape something you can get at an auto parts store like Advance or Auto zone? Or is it something Wally World may have? Thanks for the advice. I've just ordered a set of these myself.

C

OK, I have these protectors as well. I recommend that you mount them higher on the box than the instructions say.

This is what happened the first time I dropped my RT

276464208_6NgUq-M.jpg

This is how I remounted the bumpers afterwards (with 3M tape):

508544632_QUfFb-M.jpg

954899355_HwMUc-M.jpg

It is hard to see on the photos, but I moved the bumper up onto the lower angled area. I'm not sure it will really help much in a drop, but I like the way they look.

I have them on my '96 11RS. I'd have to say, they don't do much for me. They add weight, have very little funcitonal value and they eventually fall off. This happened for my bike's previous owner, who was a brilliant geneticist, but a complete mechanical dope. He used superglue to re-stick the pads, which was a big mistake. Now there are permenant superglue spots in the bags because the solvent also melted the plastic. The pads also fell off a second time, after I bought the bike, and that's when I realized what he'd done. Super glue is good for teacups and paper cuts, but that's it.

As stated above, go buy some 1/2" 3M automotive trim tape and replace the little 1/4" strip that comes with those pads. Use some solvent (I forget which one, ether maybe?) to clean the bag before you stick the pad on.

Nice n Easy Rider

Minor hijack: BMW must have lousy double stick tape. I was at the dealer's today and two of the 1600GTL that were in the showroom had the cheap plastic chrome coming loose on the panniers and on the tank. On both locations the "chrome" was held on by double-stick. :( End of hijack.

Hmm. My protectors have been on my RT since day one (five years and 105,000 km). They're still solid as a rock and they have protected my side bags when I've set my bike down (at a standstill) in a parking lot.

Archived