IGNORED

Riding Boot Recommendations

byekurman

I ride in the southeast mostly. I need a boot with a good arch support. It gets hot in the south (104 at the moment) and on occasion rains. A general riding boot for most any season of riding except extreme cold (I do not ride in really cold temps). I would like to spend no more than $300 but am flexible. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm a lover of Sidi boots. Italian comfort and build quality.

You don't say what kind of riding you do. For touring, I use the Sidi "On Road" boot. They're waterproof and not TOO hot in summer, although they're a tall boot.

For street use, I'd consider the Sidi "Canyon". These are a shorter waterproof boot with ultra fine fitting adjustments for extreme comfort (a ratchet system).

Since you specified that you can ride in rain, these are both rain boots which is going to make ventilation a problem. Some Sidi race/street type boots are ventilated but not waterproof. If waterproof doesn't matter, try the Sidi Cobra Air boots as they're perforated plus have air vents.

I can't make one pair of boots serve me all year round here. We have high heat and humidity in the summer and it can snow in the highland 45 minutes away in the Winter. The choices above, I have found to be excellent and roughly in your price range.

Best of luck,

Linz :)

Personally, I find any waterproof boot too hot in the summer. I'm a big fan of Chippewa Rallys--made in the US, super quality, plain old leather. And they come in different widths.

TCX X-Five for a good overall boot

Then add a good set of inserts for your arches. I've never found a pair of motorcycle boots with good arch support.

I bought a pair of the X-fives this year.

I like them very comfortable.

Allen Rowand

I bought a pair of Aerostich Combat Lites (which are made by Sidi) and put a pair of SuperFeet inserts in them. The boots were a little loose, and the inserts made them fit perfectly. I believe you can get the inserts from Aerostich- I bought them from a runner's supply store, since I put them in all my shoes. Boots and inserts would be about $340, but are worth every penny in my opinion. Make sure to give the boots time to break in. I've been wearing them with SmartWool socks while riding in the high 90s and have been very comfortable.

TCX X-Five for a good overall boot

Then add a good set of inserts for your arches. I've never found a pair of motorcycle boots with good arch support.

I bought a pair of the X-fives this year.

I like them very comfortable.

I'll second TCX Xfive boots, especially if you have average to wide feet. I've heard SIDI is similiarly good, but for average to narrow feet. I also like my Chippewa boots, both the Rally and low cut engineers boots. They are made in USA, another plus.

Definitely! Superfeet Green are excellent in "trim to fit" but if you can find a dealer (usually a backpacking outfitter or a ski shop) get a set of custom greens - they're molded to your feet and fit like a foot glove :) I do a lot of backpacking & the first thing I do is yank the stock insole & swap in a set of custom greens - shoes & feet last longer.

Guest Kakugo

I love Sidi boots. I literally worn a set of On Road, then bought another one. I was pleasantly surprised they actually improved the leather quality over time. I still have my second set though I had new soles fitted.

But a few years ago they changed their domestic policy, meaning the Italian market now gets only a fraction of what foreign markets get. I was in dire need of a sporty waterproof boot with toesliders. :dopeslap: And they just had those silly Power Rangers boots available.

So I gave Gaerne a chance. Slightly different fit from Sidi but very similar in workmanship, materials and overall quality (the two factories are actually a mile or so from one another). Very satisfied and rank it as high as Sidi. :thumbsup:

SIDI On Road

Durable

Waterproof

Classic appearance w/out any flash/brass so you can wear them into restaurants etc. w/out Power Ranger decoder ring.

250k on this pair and time to resole.

Ok here's my pitch; give Brian a call at Atomic Moto, He has worked in the moto gear business for many years for major MFRs like Alpinestar and FOX and he knows his boots. He will talk to you and make a recomendation on the best for you; he will not just sell you to sell you. He has sent me to others when he did not have or could not beat prices on what I needed.

Personally I like my Sidi Canyons, but they are looking a little weathered in 3 years of riding and I am looking into Gaerne boots next as I love their SG-10s for my dirt biking.

Serioulsy, call Brian... 541-550-0969

Atomic Moto boots

I have a pair of BMW All Around boots. Here's a good description:

The new Allround Boot is the successor to the Traveler Light Boot. It is constructed of top-grade leather and Cordura® making the Allround Boot extremely lightweight and breathable.

The functional properties of the boot will exceed all of your expectations! With an expanded range of sizes, the boot contains removable soles, and an integrated GORE-TEX® membrane.

In addition to safety protection such as shin protectors, reinforced ankle, rear caps and boot tips, the boot also has fuel and oil-resistant rubber soles. The optimized properties and outstanding construction make this a great year-round boot with the known BMW safety qualities.

I find them very comfortable both on and off the bike. Italian leather is just NICE! I have ridden in temps over 100 and they were not too hot. they were a bit loose so I added a nice insole and they fit perfect. A lot of boot for $235.

I was "this close" to buying a pair of Sidi boots I found at the local BMW shop, when they recommended I look at the Rev'it Apache. I tried both on, the price was the same (~$300), but the Rev'it felt a bit more comfortable, so I went with them.

They took a few rides to start getting broken in, but after only a couple of weeks, they now feel great. Might be worthwhile checking them out as well.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-apache-h2o-boot

Wayne

Keith is right on target. You need 2 pair. One air for summer and one regular for the rest of the year. Either Sidi or TCX and you will have happy feet. Good luck with your search.

Archived