IGNORED

Help - my first full face helmet !

kiwiaudio

I've never before owned a full face helmet, having preferred open face designs for 30 years now, but figured a protection upgrade was necessary due to the increase in moronic behaviour the cage operators (notice I don't say "drivers") are demonstrating these days !

I bought a Bell Vortex, even though it felt very tight in the cheekpad area, and brings on claustrophobic feelings in my weak mind. I took the pads out to make sure i had the right size hat, and it feels correct. After seeing many distorted faces that appear squashed into FF helmets, maybe this is the norm ?

The availability of smaller cheekpads meant I could make it work and relieve the pressure right ?

Well, I ordered the smallest pads and they are still too tight, and no I don't have a fat head. Left as is, I'm going to chew the inside of my cheeks away yelling at my fellow riders!

I have the cheek pads stuck under a pile of books trying to compress them as much as possible, but does anyone have a better idea? It would take a seamstress to expose the foam and cut it down - maybe I should look in that direction, but would love to hear the experience/opinion of you guys that have had full face helmets a while.

Hmm...

Maybe you need the chipmunk version?

Sorry, just kidding.

There are many different shapes of heads and as many different shapes of helmets. Any helmet that makes you uncomfortable should be avoided, regardless of brand name and reputation thereof.

If it's uncomfortable it will detract from your ability to concentrate on controlling your bike, and that is the first thing we all need to do.

If you tear into the back of the cheek pads, trim the foam and sew them back even crudely, that won't be in contact with your face, so it' snot that important how they end up looking.

If that fails, try other helmets, I'm sure you will find one that will fit you correctly.

With that said, have you given thought to the possibility of your discomfort being derived from so many years of using open face helmets and not being mentally prepared for the added restriction?

Best luck in your search.

szurszewski

Reducing the thickness of the cheek pads might be possible, but you might just have to go out and find a helmet that fits your face (that is to say, not just your "head") better.

I have a pretty thin face, but my wife has more pronounced cheeks. We usually can't get a good fit, in our respective sizes, from the same brand/model of helmet. If it fits her face well, I have a ton of space around my cheeks, and if it fits me well, she ends up looking like she has the mumps or something.

It's a strange thing going from 3/4 to full or vice versa. Did you try on a bunch of helmets before making your selection? Places like Cyclegear or similar that carry a bunch of brands are a great place to start your search.

josh

I'm going to join the crowd and say go find the cycle shop with the largest selection of helmets and try them all on until you get the one that fits best. A helmet is one thing you can't buy based on features, price, brand or color. The best one for you is the one that fits best

You may want to consider a different size or make of helmet. I don't know how many size shells your particular helmet comes in, but it should be available in at least 2 shell sizes, sized by cheek pads as you have found. You may have to go with a different hat. As has been said, helmet makes generally fit different head shapes. I'd really like to wear a Shoei but have a Nolan head. I wear a Nolan N103 which provides full cover but allows me to open the front (some like flip-ups, some don't... another story). I'd suggest going to a dealer and try on different helmet to find one you like.

If you want the helmet to fit properly, you really need to start out with it uncomfortably tight. It will loosen up as you wear it, and then, you do not want it to be too loose.

It is meant to protect your jaw and teeth; a protection that you had none of with your open face.

It is meant to do that with the mouth closed. Some guys even wear teeth protectors as in various sports.

The biggest mistake people make with helmets is that they are ... too loose.

They don't offer a lot of protection that way.

I couldn't find Jay Leno's video. But the J&P one is good.

dc

Is it comfortable without the cheekpads? If so, you can use a hot spoon or whatever to collapse some of the foam in the cheekpads until you get an acceptable fit. You'll be losing some of the padding, but that's the idea, isn't it?

---

Thanks for all your responses guys. I understand your fit statements and did try a bunch of helmets. The Bell felt the best of the ones I could afford, with the exception of the cheek pads, and it was very comfortable without them. After 24 hrs under a pile of books, the small pads felt ok to the point where i feel i can get used to the feeling.

I agree with David13 and know that the correct hat needs to feel tight at first as it will get looser with time. I'm at the point where I can stick it on my head and get used to it, so i'll give it some time. Oh and thanks for the video link too !

Loss of peripheral vision though is another story, but they all did that !

Jerry in Monument

I tried the Bell Vortex also but ran in to the same problem. Head felt fine but cheecks were squished.

Hence, I did not buy the Vortex.

Went for the HJC CL-16. Fits very nice, but is not a quiet helmet.

When next spring arrives I'll be getting the Shoei Qwest or RF-1100. Both fit well and have the options of different size cheek pads.

Fit is extremely important in a FF helmet. Been wearing FF since 1978, Arai was my first. But they don't fit me well anymore.

Archived