IGNORED

Need a decent trunk with backrest, have the rack on 1200RT

macx

Next summer will be looking forward to some longer 2 up rides, so over the next few months will be looking for an affordable good sized trunk with a backrest. I think I've got the oem BMW back rack, it's an '11 R1200RT.

Just don't want to have to take out a 2nd mortgage!

Thanks for any leads.

The 49L trunk from BMW is 800 bucks. Comes with the backrest. You can sell it at a drop of a hat for 500 used so you have 300 invested, have a great trunk with the same key, and it looks OEM.

Look at the selection from Givi and Shad. They are the two aftermarket makers of hard cases that will fit. I have a Givi 52 liter case; it cost about $340 with the required mounting bracket.

The 49L trunk from BMW is 800 bucks. Comes with the backrest. You can sell it at a drop of a hat for 500 used so you have 300 invested, have a great trunk with the same key, and it looks OEM.

+ 1

The BMW trunk is very nice and my wife says the backrest is comfortable. Sounds like you have some time, keep your eyes open for a used one.

Next choice would be a Givi Maxia. Good capacity but backrest is not as nice as the BMW.

Look at the selection from Givi and Shad. They are the two aftermarket makers of hard cases that will fit. I have a Givi 52 liter case; it cost about $340 with the required mounting bracket.

That price is a little more in line with reality than $800 IMHO

+ 1

+2, ours is painted to match, wife had some extra work done on the backrest when the seats were custom to our bottoms. No extra plate, doesn't rattle/bounce and a 20K bike needs to look it's best.

I got the Shad case for my bike and the $500 is still in my pocket. Here's a write-up I did with pictures link

Still happy with it after a year.

• 4 weeks later...
CoarsegoldKid

If I were you I'd place some WTB ads for a 49L trunk or keep eyes pealed on the classified ads or take out a mortgage because the OEM is a great trunk for extended two up touring. The aftermarket offerings will work too but not as cleanly IMO. Also get the bag liners available from the after market. We are experienced as Jimi said.

If I were you I'd place some WTB ads for a 49L trunk or keep eyes pealed on the classified ads or take out a mortgage because the OEM is a great trunk for extended two up touring. The aftermarket offerings will work too but not as cleanly IMO. Also get the bag liners available from the after market.

+1 and the ease of being able to pop it on and off is worth something as well, especially when the payments come due :/

Archived