IGNORED

Paper Road Maps--where?

SinNH

Where are the map addicts buying their maps? For years I have purchased from Rand McNally on line, but seems like now they only offer "Easy to Read" ( too big ) and "Easy to fold", which would work but the way they are folded it would only fit in my map pocket 90 degrees off.

Have searched the internet and found none for the states I want.

Looking for the foldable paper type.

Am I the only one that still uses these ?

AAA is your friend

Yep, I've had them route me innumerable times before GPSs came into vogue. AAA TripTiks fit perfectly in a tank bag map holder. I'm a 40-year AAA member and still prefer using their TourBooks rather than the Internet for an initial cut at deciding what attractions I'd like to visit along my planned route-of-travel.

BTW, it's all free (once you're a member).

Funny you bring this up, I just ordered several paper maps from Amazon. You're right, it's becoming harder to find decent road maps these days. I'm a big fan of my gps's but give me good old paper maps for trip planning every time. Good luck. Let us know if you find a good source.

I like to stop at the welcome centers of each state I happen to ride into and pick up a free map. Good excuse to visit different states!

I like to stop at the welcome centers of each state I happen to ride into and pick up a free map. Good excuse to visit different states!

+1

I also get them from the state's visitor's center website. They will usually mail you a free one but sometimes it takes a while.

I just ordered the Butler map of Colorado, for my proposed (but still tentative) Colorado trip.

It is motorcycle specific, so there ought to be something special about it.

They do have them at Irv Seaver.

Or by mail order like I did (internet order).

I suppose I can't say if it's worth it til I see it, but from their website it looked like it gave some first hand knowledge of local roads.

Advrider and some other sites have mentioned certain roads I should not neglect, and they appear to be featured on the Butler map sample on their website.

I also take a AAA map just as a generic fast reference.

Once you do get an idea of a good road, you can also use Google or other search to find info about it, including what forums it's been mentioned on.

dc

Check out "Butler Maps"; an excellent resource for Motorcycle trip planning.

Not in every state (in fact,very few, mostly West) but the map material is durable & roads are ranked, as in "G1" - Best for motorcycles, "G2" - a little below that, "G3" - next in line. You get the idea.

Also have catagories like "Lost Highway" & "Paved Mountain Trail". Kinda fun to plan with.

Starfighter

My Karen loves maps....

and is very critical of their design.....

That said, we cannot pass a State welcome center without stopping for a free map..................

I believe most States Dept. of tourism will be happy to send you a map gratis.

Good info there. Welcome stations are a great place to get a free one. I'm picky about maps too. AAA is probably my least favorite. I like Rand McNally and am sorry to hear they're cutting back. Years ago Exxon had real nice maps but try to find one at a service station now. If I need something to refer to as I'm riding, like in the tank bag window, I'll take an older Rand McNally Atlas (the big one) and cut out of it what I need for a particular trip. Santa always gets me a new one at Christmas anyway.

I just ordered the Butler map of Colorado, for my proposed (but still tentative) Colorado trip.

It is motorcycle specific, so there ought to be something special about it.

They do have them at Irv Seaver.

Or by mail order like I did (internet order).

I suppose I can't say if it's worth it til I see it, but from their website it looked like it gave some first hand knowledge of local roads.

Advrider and some other sites have mentioned certain roads I should not neglect, and they appear to be featured on the Butler map sample on their website.

I also take a AAA map just as a generic fast reference.

Once you do get an idea of a good road, you can also use Google or other search to find info about it, including what forums it's been mentioned on.

dc

Just got back from a weeks ride in Colo. using my buddy's Butler map. It was a great bonus to have.

Peter Parts

Years ago, you could get all the free maps you wanted at gas stations. I'm not able to put a date on when that stopped???

I guess at $4/gallon and the "high" price of wood pulp they can't afford it any more. I suppose the cost of Rand-McNally making and updating maps today is a fraction of what it cost in pre-computer times.

If you have a trip in mind, most jurisdictions will mail you good maps. Some places also have motorcycle traveler materials.

I get a laugh (and sometimes a cry) from errors on maps. But you never see correction notices. The Ontario provincial map is the faultiest one I know. But it is a particularly well-designed map otherwise and free.

GPS-guided travel always seem to suck the "big picture" enjoyment out of travel for me. Robs you of the ability to apply intuition to route decisions by micro-managing the information window. Maybe I don't know how to use it well. A good part of our biking is just wandering around rural Ontario without a map.

Great route/timing tool now is weather radar. But I have to say it has more of a dampening effect on my travel than ignorance or word weather forecasts have. Maybe "dampening" is a poor choice of term.

Ben

In the UK I use 1:250,000 aviation charts for road maps. They come laminated and I get them free because they are only valid for aviation navigation for two years. In the UK the 1/4 mil shows all roads, even the minor ones. I suspect however, that this would not work in the USA, as there are eight charts to cover the UK which is smaller than some of your lakes...

Andy

Starfighter

and...................

Once a year I go to my Insurance agents office and get my free road atlas so I can cut the old one apart...................

So your GPS has a mind control function?

Try turning it off.

:wave:

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I often ride without a route loaded, so my GPS is no different than having a paper map. If I see an enticing detour, it helps me know if it turns to dirt at some point.

And I use my GPS to monitor fuel, not trusting the fuel strip.

I use these:

Mapsource.com

I like maps so I can get the big picture along with more local roads than an atlas.

Of course this weekend I will need Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina maps just to get from Tampa to Charlotte (and maybe Asheville) so I don't have to stay on the interstates. And they are a bitch to open up and read at anything over 45 mph. :rofl:

If you are a member of the KOA roadside assistance (Allstate)then you are also a member of their travel club. You can send them a quest for a trip, and any and all states' maps along the way..They usually arrive within a week.

RichEdwards

Another AAA fan here. I write all over my maps, so being able to get multiple copies during the year is valuable to me. And AAA also has county maps with a better view of local roads. I think I have the county map for every county in Florida. I always get more value in maps than my annual member ship fee costs me.

Butler Maps and Mad Maps:thumbsup:

If they have coverage for your area.

Both created specifically for/by MC riders.

Greatest Roads is a nice app,if you have an iPhone/iPad

JR356

Another option not mentioned so far is DeLorme maps. These have not only the roads, but Topo data, so you get the best of both world. This is very important if you plan on doing any off-road adventuring. You can get them through their website. They come per state (they do have boxed groups of them), but they are worth it.

Wayne

and, of course, every bookstore has a big collection of maps......

Except Borders...

Seriously, printed maps in retail outlets are in danger of going the way of the slide rule (which I made a clickable link, for those who have never seen one). Decreasing availability, and rising prices ($6 for a Kentucky map from Walmart at BRR spring 2011) led me finally to pull the trigger and buy a GPS. It's not a replacement for a paper map, nor is my calculator watch a replacement for my old slide rule (which, if I still own it, is so buried that it probably won't be found until after I die).

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

If by chance you plan to venture north of "the border" : backroadsmaps.com are a most excellent source.

Selden, what's a slide rule? Still using an abacus here. It must be solar powered 'cause I've never had to replace batteries. Darn thing is hard to fit in your pocket tho. :dopeslap:

Archived