IGNORED

Garmin zumo 660 - need one quick

RodB

I'm on day 2 of my trip to the UN and my Zumo 450 has gone wonkers. The touch screen is no longer responding. I have researched solutions and it seems like I will need to replace the LCD touch screen digitizer.

So it seems like it's a good time to upgrade to a Bluetooth capable unit, seeing that I now sport the Sena Bluetooth intercom system.

I'm now heading south via a flexible route that brings me through Columbus-Cincinnati, OH, - Lexington, KY, then close to Nashville, TN on to the UN location.

Where would be a good place to shop for a Zumo 660 along this route?

Evening Rod

Before giving up on your 450 take a piece of thin stiff cardboard (like a thin business card) or thin piece of plastic & work it all around the screen (up under the edge) to remove any dirt or junk build up in between the screen & screen rim.

Sometimes that is all it takes to get the screen to behave again.

Thanks for your suggestion DR, which sounds plausible; but I worked the toothpick from my Swiss army knife all around to no avail. It is still usable as a map showing where I am also with the speed I'm going, but that's about it. With no touch screen capabilities, it's pretty much useless.

Edit: Now, I need to find a new toothpick for my knife.

I just bought one from Amazon, shipped UPS ground and had it in three days. They also offer next day shipment.

My old Zumo 550 touch screen stopped working last week in the second half of a 2 week trip. Couldn't pull up those carefully crafted routes I had planned, and resorted to actually reading maps and trying to remember where to turn. Fortunately all the towns we stayed in were pretty small. After a while I didn't mind much, but I did miss my music at times. Spent a lot more time talking with the wife on the Sena, maybe more in a week than in the last year, a good thing, maybe a sad statement on busy lives.

Anyway, I took the battery out, reset it, updated it, all to no avail. I was ready to turn it in for a refurbished one for $150, even thinking about springing for a 660, then happened upon this post.

Thanks DR! Your method worked! I used a thin plastic card and ran it all around the edges. Took a couple of minutes to get it under there all the way, but lo and behold the thing now works and will live to ride another day, hopefully many more. Your advice is much appreciated.

Eric

Archived