IGNORED

LD Shorts

Mark K

I've already decided I'm buying these. Probably long and short tops and bottoms. My question is this:

They recommend NOT using vented gear with these undergarments which I can understand in theory. However, my solid pants are black and on past trips have been hotter than hell to ride in. I do fine in my Darian jacket w/a cooling vest -- also did fine last year in and around Death Valley with my vented jacket. I really do like my mesh pants, tho.

I plan to try out a couple different options when I get the LD gear, but was hoping for some real-world feedback on the mesh vs. solid gear in the meantime.

Thanks!

I don't understand recommended against vented gear--they're nothing but bicycle shorts without the pad, and those are normally worn with nothing on top.

As I read the web page, LD seemed to be mostly recommending against mesh gear in very high heat. That's pretty normal to hold in some moisture.

ElevenFifty

I wear my LDs under mesh all the time - luv em! Just a note ... I found that the seam at the thigh was not comfortable. Felt like a rubber bank around my leg. It was annoying enough that I just did not like wearing them at all.

I took a pair of scissors and cut the bottom 1/2 inch off each leg. The material does not unravel, they don't ride up, and they are MUCH more comfortable. I never go on a ride of more than a few miles without wearing them.

Starfighter

I recently bought a pair of LDC shorts.....

My normal range was 350 miles without discomfort......

With the LDC first ride UNDER MESH PANTS AND JACKET I did 1060 miles...............

However I agree that mesh gear will dehydrate you faster in very hot weather...........

Beemer_Nancy

However I agree that mesh gear will dehydrate you faster in very hot weather...........

True regardless of the underwear you have on.

I went with one each of the shorts, the tights and the long sleeve shirt. Fit is excellent.

Now that I have them, it's not nearly as hot here! Still confy, though.

I don't know anything about bicycle shorts, so I can't make any comparisons. Perhaps someone who is familiar with both will chime in.

Paul Mihalka

I have the LD shorts, but know nothing about bicycle shorts. LD are designed as underwear, bicycle shorts as onlywear. If they don't have the important front opening I would not want them as underwear.

From their website..........

WHAT MAKES LDComfort™ DIFFERENT FROM OTHER UNDERGARMENTS?

LDComfort™ was the first to design an undergarment made specifically for the Long Distance Motorcycle Rider. They were not designed for exercise activity like most wicking garments, but for sitting for long periods of time through all sorts of weather conditions. They are specifically designed to protect your skin. Serving as a chaffing buffer from mid and outer layers LDComfort™ undergarments keep your skin dry, helping to regulate your body temperature and prevent tenderness and raw skin.

Unlike most underwear or sport shorts LDComfort™ Riding Shorts have no seams in the seating area and the seams that are in the shorts are flat seams. The shorts should fit with a gentle hug to avoid folds of fabric between your skin and your seat/saddle. The leg openings feature a one way gripper to prevent the material from ridding up the leg creating folds in the fabric.(The tights do not need the gripper and therefore do not have this feature.) The men’s version also comes equipped with a convenient Roo-Fly™. The women's version has a gusset.

A major difference is our fabric. Most single layer garments (polypropylene, single layer nylon) are made as outer wear and will not keep the moisture off your skin under the layers of clothing required for safe and smart motorcycle riding. We use a unique, dual layer material (two materials woven together to create a two sided fabric) in the making of our Riding Shorts, Tops and Tights. The special wicking properties of this material help keep skin dryer and the outer layer creates the cooling effect of evaporation. The material offers a four way stretch that stays with you when you move and prevents chaffing. These shorts were made specifically for comfortable long sitting hours. See our Product Description page to see how it works.

I am going on a 2000+ mile trip to Wyoming and Colorado in two weeks. I have a 06 RT with a Corbin seat. 3 kids in college and a fourth next year. I think I'll try my bike shorts and see how they work. My wife is already not happy about the Schuberth. $50 underwear. hmm... I'll post pics

I'm looking at to my 1800 mile Blue Ridge Parkway trip next month. I like using bike shorts and already own a lot but one problem with them is that they take about 24 hours to air dry if you wash them in a sink. So I'm considering getting a couple of sets of the Aerostich underwear for this trip, with the plan being to sink wash them at night.

I wear the LD shorts under my mesh pants all of the time with no problem. I bought them last year before a 2 day blast from Atlanta to Denver. I figured I would use their guarantee and return them after my trip, they were $50 after all! I knew they were keepers after the fisrt day.

I wash my LD shorts with a little shampoo, lay them on a towel, roll the towel real tight vs.s squeezing the shorts. They are almost dry instantly except for the thicker part around the leg openings and the waistband. They ususally dry over night, but aren't really an issue if they don't.

DavidEBSmith

Bicycle shorts are undesirable if they have the chamois in the crotch - that doesn't work well for motorcycle riding. Bicycle shorts without the chamois are OK if they don't have seams in the seat.

My usual riding gear is ExOfficio boxers, which are a wicking material with no seams in the wrong places. I've tried the LD Comfort shorts, and they're very good, but pricey. In the IBR I wore UnderArmor tights under my Aerostich - same idea as the LD Comfort tights - but most of us don't want to be seen in public in those.

Bicycle shorts are undesirable if they have the chamois in the crotch - that doesn't work well for motorcycle riding.

Why do you say that? I've done many a 400 mile day in my older ones with chamois. Most of my newer ones, of course, have a synthetic pad.

I just got some Wickers underwear from Aeorstich and am anxious to try them before I head out on a planned five day ride next months. I'm hoping it will work to just take a couple of sets and sink wash them at night.

I'm hoping it will work to just take a couple of sets and sink wash them at night.

That's what I do. Same with socks and shirts for that matter. Makes packing easy -- I can be ready to go in under an hour whether it's for two days or two weeks!

I've worm bicycle shorts with my mesh pants for over 3 years, Iv'e done several 1000+ mile days in them. I have never, ever had any issue with the seams, blisters or chafing. Notwithstanding this, I purchased some LD shorts at the MOA rally. SO far I can only say that I have not noticed any remarkable difference between my cycle shorts and the LD shorts. both are comfortable and both wick moisture away for evaporation. My comparison however is only based upon a limited use of the LD shorts.

I have the LD shorts, short sleeved shirt and detached sleeves as well as another brand of wicking work out tights. On this last trip we rode through some pretty hot, humid weather. The LD shorts were by far the most comfortable under my mesh riding pants. The woman's shorts look like workout pants so that's all I wore under my mesh pants. The LD shirt and sleeves were indespensible in 100 degree plus weather. I soaked the shirt and sleeves in water and when the temps became unbearable I put them on closed all my vents on my jacket and remained quite comfortable almost chilly in fact. I used to use a cooling vest but didn't like the damp drippy feeling but with the shirt you don't feel wet. I washed the shorts every night rolled them in a towel and by morning they were pretty much dry.

That's what I'm thinking of doing on my upcoming TX trip....

I'll stick with the mesh pants, but take the Darian jacket instead of the mesh one. I plan to leave the cooling vest at home. I do love my evap-o-dana tho.

Check humidity.

We've had low for us, under 40% recently and cooling vests work better than normal at this time of year.

They don't take up much room.

On the underwear issue, I just got some Wickers underwear from Aerostich. I was looking for options for a five day ride I'm planning next month (full length of the BRC, Cherohala, Dragon both ways, VA/WV 16). I was attracted by the idea of only taking two sets and sink washing them at night. (I've found the regular bicycle shorts don't get completely dry over night).

I wore them for a 300 miler yesterday with afternoon temperatures in the mid 80s and was very pleased. I got the long sleeve black shirt so it was a bit warm with my jacket on when off the bike, but otherwise it's a "go."

Check humidity.

We've had low for us, under 40% recently and cooling vests work better than normal at this time of year.

They don't take up much room.

Thanks for the update. That IS dry! I'm not used to that!

Archived