IGNORED

Tools or Tool Kit

Medic Mike

I have been slowly acquiring the needed materials to start doing longer and longer trips, but I have yet to get a tool kit. I have found some that range from $60-$200. Would I be wiser to make one piece by piece or just buy a commercially made all in one kit? If I do a piece one, what tools do you all recommend? I know I need a multi-tool, small metric ratchet set and a fix-a-flat kit. This kit is for On the Road repairs. Just in case you may wonder or ask, I have a first aid kit. What kind of paramedic would I be if I did not have a first aid kit (hint, I would be a fire/medic :grin: )

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Are you trying to supplement the bike tool kit or are you missing the tool kit for your bike?

Why not the early 1150 tool kit?

71117659924 SET: CAR TOOL - R1150RT/RS (to 10/04) $137.66

Watch out for some changes in required wrench sizes if your bike is after 10/04.

I have added valve adjustment feelers to my kit and an 11mm wrench for the brake bleeder up front (for my R1100RT).

Starfighter

I bought a Helen Twowheels tool bag and keep it in a tupperware container, and every time I do the type of work I might have to do on the road, I use that on-board tool kit...

If a tool isn't there, I add it.....(duplicates are in my garage tool box.)

BUT........ I am very realistic about how big a job I'd tackle on the side of the road......

(otherwise I'd have a torque wrench, complete set of sockets etc, etc etc....)

My 2009 RT came with a screwdriver and a torx wrench. That's it.

BMW used to put the best tool kits in their bikes, my 2000LT had a great kit.

I've looked at the Cruz Tools BMW kit and may pick one up this winter. I don't think I could put my own together for any less money.

First thing I would do is try to replace the OEM tool kit that would have come with your bike (ebay?). It might have a special item or two that you just can't reasonably duplicate somewhere else. Next, I would add something like a cruz-tools kit - focus on something that would complement the stock kit. I got one of their little socket sets. After that, add specific items that make life easier - your stock kit might have a L shaped allen or torx wrench (which suck to use in tight spots), so add those bits that attach to your socket set (plus extensions, swivel etc).

A lot of folks who are intent on being prepared will do all their own maintenance using only their tools from their travel kit. So that's probably a few more items (feeler gauges, etc.). Finally add those general items that no respectable boat owner would be without - pliers, channel locks, knife, flashlight, zipties, bailing wire, hacksaw blades, file, electrical tape, circuit tester, yadda yadda yadda. Sometimes those cheapie 250 piece kits at schuck's auto will have some interesting ideas. Don't forget spare parts - lightbulbs, fuses, crush washers, a small assortment of nuts and bolts, etc.

Keep in mind, is that you're prolly not gonna diagnose and repair some complex issue down in the bowels of your motor, but you will be able to take care of some simpler items and get back on the road (depending, of course, on your skills). I always try to keep in mind the business of effecting a temporary repair, should I have a minor crash and bust a couple things (thus, bailing wire and duct tape).

I should have qualified my initial statement I guess. I am not intending on doing open heart surgery on the side of the road. I am looking at putting a small/medium kit together to help get through a long or short trip, i.e. a spring breaks on my ABS calipers or on my kickstand. I just want to minor to moderate fixes so that I can limp in to somewhere that has the tools, know how and abilities to fix it right and completely.

You could spend 3 times whats necessary for a "ready-made" kit and still not have everything you need (and get stuff you don't need). Make it from scratch--it will also be a learning experience. :grin: (which is good).

Rocer:

Here is what I carry, it is all in an Outdoor Reasearch Back Country kit that I used to carry when I was able to backpack.

8 4x4 bandages

8 2x2 bandages

25 Bandaids (5 burn, 5 anti-septic, 5 stretchy, 10 regular)

1 Roll Coban

1 Hem-Con bandage

CAT Tourniquet

1 roll 1 inch tape, 2 inch tape and 1/2 inch tape

3 feet of Duct Tape

15 pills of Excedrin, Aleve (Naprosyn), Tylenol and Ultram (for me)

8 Baby Aspirins

1 bottle of Nitroglycerin

Antibiotic ointment

Bee Sting ointment

Epi-Pen

2 Ice and Heat packs

Trauma sheers

That is about it. A lot of those of those things are not commercially available. Due to my profession, I "acquire" some things to keep in my kit. The kit varies as well depending on what I am doing. My car kit is different than my motorcycle kit. I carry more trauma stuff in my bike kit for obvious reasons.

Also, thanks everyone for the advice on the tool kit. I know I will ask again about certian things once I start acquiring them.

Mike,

I got this tool roll from amazon. It is very well made and well priced: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKUTCY

it has all the space I have needed so far for tools. I just took the tools out of my tool box for the kit. This way I pretty much have all the stuff needed for my motorcycle handy.

Also, I heard recently that a SAM splint is a pretty cool thing to carry for the first aid kit. I think I am going to get one of those.

-Ryan

I got a free nylon pouch tool holder with a magazine subscription(fits under the seat). I have all the tools necessary to remove either wheel and take off the bodywork. The toolkit that came with the bike was basically a screwdriver and tool to take the oil cap off, that was it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Probably going to get a kit and add/substract from there and add a small flat repair. As of now, I have LEO Run flats on, but eventually they will have to be replaced might as well get ahead of the game.

Again, thank you all

Mike

Archived