IGNORED

Schuberth C3 question

majrosebud

I just bit the bullet and bought a C3. There is one big complaint I have about it. The face shield does not stay open at speeds above 40 mph (or there abouts). It slams shut. I prefer to ride with the internal sun visor down and the face shield up. Unless someone knows a fix for this, I am pretty dissapointed with this helmet. I could remove the face shield completely, but this shouldn't be happenning on such a high end helmet.

Anyone have any ides? I am going to contact the dealer and Schuberth and will report my findings. Thanks

I regularly ride with the shield open on my RT, but I have a Cee Baily windscreen. What are you riding, does it have a windscreen?

I also ride a Cee Bailey and found it is helpful to change the airflow against the helmet, but any head movement and wham, faceshield come down. There has got to be a fix. Certainly, the germans have not over engineered again.

It's not a bug, it's a feature - according to Schuberth.

Try a piece of felt (think furniture slider) under the visor pivot point.

Just talked to a real person at Schueberth. This is the number one complaint they have. There is no fix for it currently. I will post anything I can find to fix this problem. I'll try the felt and see what happens.....Many thanks

DaveTheAffable
I am pretty dissapointed with this helmet. I could remove the face shield completely, but this shouldn't be happenning on such a high end helmet.

... That's designed to be worn with the face shield down... :/ Schuberth advertisement.. "But wait, theres MORE! Even though we recommend against it, we've designed our face shield to leave your face unprotected at speeds up to 100 mph, if you wish!"

Well I'm a little goofy I guess. I love my C3. I bought a helmet with a face shield...to protect my face. The helmet is designed for the shield to be down when driving. It's not "defective". I know some other helmets shields will stay up because the wind catches them. But are they intentionally designed that way? I doubt it. Driving over 40 mph with no protection? Ok... take the faceshield off. Ride with internal visor or sunglasses. It comes off SO easy... Why leave it on?

Even on 100* days I crack mine open about 1" at the bottom... and all is well.

YMMV :wave:

another thought/safety question... If you do get off over 40 with that visor up, isn't that just asking for it to "catch" on something as you off/slide, possibly tweeking your neck?

On an older helmet and different brand, I cut a piece of velcro about the size of my thumbnail. I attached one piece to the top of the shield and the other piece on top of the helmet. It worked, but wasn't very asthetic, especially on a $1000 lid...

A buddy liked the idea and actually made the strip of velcro long enough he could set the shield anywhere he wanted....ugly but functional.

DaveTheAffable

I was just looking at my C3. The pivot point has nothing to do with friction. The 'position' is held by some teeth/nubs that are on the circular portion of the shield that 'shoulders' it's way into the helmet. So, some other retainer, strap, velcro?

Hmmmm... maybe McGyver will have an answer.

Thanks for all your insight. I rode to work today and am going to try a few things on the ride home. I am thinking about the velcro..hmmmm. (thinking).. Maybe a spongy ear plug near the pivot point would also work.. I'll take pics and post tonight.

DaveTheAffable

Ahh... the McGyver comes out... :wave:

I looked at that shoulder/cupped area. It's about the size of a half dollar coin.

Maybe a thin circle of neoprene? I too thought about foamy 'something', but I wouldn't want it to shred.

Keep us posted!

Same thoughts here with mine. I had emailed Schuberth, but so far no response (no need now). I wouldn't be riding at speed with the visor up, but riding through towns or at moderate speed on warm days it would be nice to be able to lift the visor to its first position for more ventilation.

As it stands, I have to be very careful how much I lower the screen, or how I turn my head, to avoid the (presumably amplified by the screen) airflow catching the visor and slamming it shut.

Reply from Schueberth

Hi James,

Thank you for email. As a safety feature, the C3 shield is designed to close at speeds over 30 mph. If you are concerned with the amount of ventilation, I recommend checking the liner flap to make sure it is not covering your vent holes. If the vent holes are open, it should allow up to 2 gallons of fresh air per second at 65 mph. We never recommend riding without your face shield. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you for your continued support of the Schuberth brand.

Best regards,

Adrienne Talarico

Schuberth North America

27111 Aliso Creek Road # 175

Aliso Viejo, CA 92656

Phone: 949-215-0893

Fax: 949-215-0469

adrienne.talarico@schuberthnorthamerica.com

Sometimes I don't follow some of the discussions here and this is one of them.

I have a Schuberth C3 purchased in June of this year. And I don't have any such problem. I ride a R1200RT, stock shield. I normally ride with the shield (clear) raised, fully open, unless on the freeway. Then I ride with the shield in the first open position, about an inch open. I have never experienced the shield closing.

My helmet has about 4 or 5 detention positions, from closed to open, and they hold the shield in that position. My normal practice is to do a head check when changing lanes, etc. and the shield has never moved.

Compared to the Nolan X-lite I used previously the detention points seem stronger on the Schubert.

I also have ridden, both on and off the freeway with the shield fully up, and the dark screen in the down position. Again the clear shield does not close unless I move it.

Maybe I ended up with the exception, but I don't have any problem riding with the clear shield in any of the positions, from fully closed to fully open and the shield not closing on my Schuberth C3.

I guess, YMMV.

Here's the deal. If I am riding around the city, for instance, hot and muggy day, I ride with the face shield fully open and the sun visor down. There are times when I reach speeds in excess of 40 mph. Around 40 mph the shield comes blazing down. What the.... The first time this happened I about lost it. This never happened on my Aria and HJC helmet... Just a little disconcerting. This is a design feature, as was previously mentioned. Your helmet is defective.. abort..abort abort...

Archived