IGNORED

Why would I buy THIS GPS vs THAT one?

Polo

I've been following some posts about GPS units,and thus I'v ebeen becoming even more confused. Can someone help me?

Recently I read about Garmin NUVI 885T, thhen I looked up some other NUVI units and found 265WT, 1490LMT, and probably some others. All with Bluetooth. The 1490 has lifetime map & traffic updates and a wider screen.

Prices ranging from Ok to prohibitive, and all in between. Granted none of these have MP3 that I could see, so they do not compare to the Zumo.

Confused? You won't be after you watch tonight's episode of SOAP!

I'm in the same boat.

Purchased a 265WT to use with my Scala bluetooth headset, only to discover that the bluetooth was only good for phone calls which I can already make and receive...

I was hoping to be able to hear directions ("recalculating" :P ) in my headset.

So, I have a nice bluetooth GPS for the car and still am not sure what to do on the RT.

So I carry maps... :grin:

I'm in the same boat.

Purchased a 265WT to use with my Scala bluetooth headset, only to discover that the bluetooth was only good for phone calls which I can already make and receive...

I was hoping to be able to hear directions ("recalculating" :P ) in my headset.

So, I have a nice bluetooth GPS for the car and still am not sure what to do on the RT.

So I carry maps... :grin:

Same here with the 1490lmt! and it doesn't even work with my cell phone either... On a plus note I find it much easier to view than my tiny Nav3. The Nav3 does have working bluetooth... when the Nav3 wants to work. Its very slow to both update online and use on the bike. Between the two of them I'll survive for now...

I too am keeping my eyes out for the next GPS I buy. Just not sure which yet. I have no use for bluetooth, but I do like mp3 plugged in to my helmet for those long touring days. I'm currently using a Garmin Zumo 450 on my bike. Back when I bought it, it was advertised as a motorcycle friendly GPS. But now, the screen is so fogged up with what appears to be water spots, it's very difficult to read at times. So, it's not so motorcycle friendly anymore. Garmin wants $175.00 to recondition it with a new screen and map updates. I think if Garmin is going to advertise "motorcycle friendly", they should make it a little more weather resistant, or at least provide a better warranty for the screens. I do a lot of touring. I would like to find a unit that can stand up to heat, cold, rain, etc, etc.

And all of those reasons are why I bought a second waterproof* 2730, w/updated maps, easy to use touchscreen, mp3 capability, seamless Autocom/cll phone integration, etc. for under $200.

Thanks Tallman, do you any hot tips on were one would find one? I went to Garmin's homepage, and the 2720 & 2730 are both listed as discontinued products. It sounds like just what I'm looking for. especially under $200.00.

Thanks Tallman, do you any hot tips on were one would find one? I went to Garmin's homepage, and the 2720 & 2730 are both listed as discontinued products. It sounds like just what I'm looking for. especially under $200.00.

Ebay is your friend.

+1 for eBay, also Amazon. Refurbished 2720 or 2730 units are available. They are actually more expensive now than they were a couple of years ago. I was able to get a 2720 about two years ago for $115. You can still get new maps for the 27xx series, not so the 2610. I'm still riding with a 2610 on my RT - excellent multifunction buttons on the 2610 - save a location, one push - go home, two taps - recent finds, one push...

I don't care to ride with music, and I stopped listening to the GPS voices in my head long ago. If you want MP3, you could just carry your favorite tunes in your pocket or tank bag.

Archived