IGNORED

Direct to battery connect Zumo 550?

TM1918

Hey folks,

I am curious....has anyone done a direct to battery connect on a Zumo 550. I have a 2010 R1200RT. I used a "repair coonector" to an unused switch power accesory plug under front fairing. The problem is, my power to rear lights/turn signal goes out and gives me a defective bulb warning light on the dash. It didn't seem to be a problem until I installed a GXM 30 antenna. A little weird and a bit frustrating.

So, I'm considering going direct to battery. My concern is that it might create a constant parasitic draw on the battery even when power to the device is tuned off.

Has anyone done a direct to battery connect and has it been a problem?

Thanks for your thoughts and/or suggestions.

TM

I've got a Zumo 450 wired directly to my battery with an inline fuse on my '07 R1200R. It's been there for many years and I've never had any battery issues.

If you don't have an accessory fuse panel now might be the right excuse to get one. I have one called FUZEBLOCK; it allows you to wire circuits either switched or unswitched. I have my Zumo wired to it switched so that it can't draw power after bike is shut off.

If you don't have an accessory fuse panel now might be the right excuse to get one. I have one called FUZEBLOCK; it allows you to wire circuits either switched or unswitched. I have my Zumo wired to it switched so that it can't draw power after bike is shut off.

I second this. I have both Zumo 550s wired in via the FuzeBlock (but different connections so I have redundancy if the FuzeBlock circuit fails). The only thing I have running off the bike's port (which has really thin wires btw, not sure it's good for more than an amp) is the PhotonBlaster set of LEDs on the front forks (2.5W so no real draw).

On my 2006 R1200RT, I originally used the repair connector for power to my Zumo 550 with the GXM 30. I didn't like the keyed power to the Zumo, so I wired it direct to the battery, that way my cradle always has power. I've never had a problem with it draining the battery. I don't leave the Zumo in the cradle all the time, not sure if that would make a difference.

Thanks Kathy. I assumed Fuzeblock was a relay system and your link proved it. Just a matter of how the OP wants to go...buy one off the shelf, or DIY project. I've done both and for a fraction of the price you can do the DIY project, but it does take additional time getting all the parts and putting them together.

Wayne

The MC cradle doesn't draw power when the zumo is switched off, other than what's necessary to remember that the zumo has been switched off. (It will stay off until power is lost then restored.)

Plus side: You're not constantly asked if you want to continue on the internal battery every time you stop for gas.

Down side: You have to remember to turn off the zumo when you park for an extended period or the zumo will drain your bike's battery.

The MC cradle doesn't draw power when the zumo is switched off, other than what's necessary to remember that the zumo has been switched off. (It will stay off until power is lost then restored.)

Plus side: You're not constantly asked if you want to continue on the internal battery every time you stop for gas.

Down side: You have to remember to turn off the zumo when you park for an extended period or the zumo will drain your bike's battery.

I think it does draw some small amount since it's in standby status rather than completely off. I know when mine is in the cradle with the wire disconnected and I turn it on, it goes through a complete, minute long boot sequence. When it's in the cradle with the wire connected and I hit the power button, it's on instantly.

I assumed Fuzeblock was a relay system and your link proved it. Just a matter of how the OP wants to go...buy one off the shelf, or DIY project. I've done both and for a fraction of the price you can do the DIY project, but it does take additional time getting all the parts and putting them together.

I'm an EE and the time/effort to replicate a Fuzeblock is certainly not worth it from my perspective - too few life minutes left to waste on something like that. The FB is a great product, works fine out of the box, clean & quick to implement. The switched/non-switched option by circuit is very helpful and not common to all 3rd party boxes like this (I had a CenTech on my last bike & homegrown solutions before that). I expect most folks would be hard pressed to build their own replacement for a FB at anything better than cents/hour of work effort.

I expect most folks would be hard pressed to build their own replacement for a FB at anything better than cents/hour of work effort.

I don't know at $80 for the Fuzeblock, it wouldn't be that hard to bet it if you're familiar with soldering and have a decent electronics part store in town. That said, I will agree with you that DIY projects aren't for everybody and unless you really enjoy futzing with stuff buying a kit prebuilt is the way to go.

Wayne

I first powered my 550 from the auxilary plug on my R1200R. But as I started farkling the R12R, I added an under-the-seat Fuzeblock. Only problem I have had w/ this setup is draining the battery in my garage after forgetting to turn the 550 off. I changed the 550's circuit to switched power, avoiding a repeat performance.

BTW, IMO, the 550's GXM30 antenna shouldn't create a Canbus error.

I think it does draw some small amount since it's in standby status rather than completely off. I know when mine is in the cradle with the wire disconnected and I turn it on, it goes through a complete, minute long boot sequence. When it's in the cradle with the wire connected and I hit the power button, it's on instantly.

That sounds like the car cradle. The motorcycle cradle does a complete shutdown and has to reboot whenever the zumo is switched on. At least in my experience.

That sounds like the car cradle. The motorcycle cradle does a complete shutdown and has to reboot whenever the zumo is switched on. At least in my experience.

Nope, it's the only one my Zumo came with. Plus, on the 220 the power goes directly into the unit not into the cradle like on earlier models.

DSC_7855_edited-1.jpg

My bike has an onboard oem radio. I wonder if this is somehow causing interference with the 3 pin gps power port. After several experimental tests, I continue to have the same problem: (Zumo 550 powered via the GPS port using the BMW repair connector- discarding wire #2, GXM antenna plugged in) the switched power circuit fails to turn off when the ignition is turned off and leaves the circuit hot and fails to send the Zumo into to battery mode. Really weird...I just could not figure this problem out. The only thing I can think of is that the OEM radio may have something to do with it.

Nevertheless, I have abandoned the GPS power port and gone direct to battery.

I am going to take Kathy's advice and move forward with the Fuzeblock via a switch powered canbus (don't know where yet, but I'm hoping to find one under the seat somewhere).

Thank you to everyone for your input.

I have a switched setup with the BMW and a direct line with my Suzuki. I've had no problem with the direct connection. When the gps is switched off, it doesn't seem to draw any power. When switched on it goes through a complete boot up sequence.

Archived