IGNORED

PR2 or PR3

David13

Well my tires are all old and worn out and everything, and so I need to get a new pair, and since I like Michelin, and I am a big Michelin fan, the only answer is Michelin.

But the PR 3 is a new tire, and supposedly better for rain. As I understand it the only difference with the two and three is the extra tread line between the others on the 2.

Which channels water out during wet conditions. In other words, wet handling is better, nothing else.

But since rain is generally dangerous, why not?

They do cost more, so is it worth it?

Your opinions are requested.

dc

John Bentall

The PR3 is a superior tyre to the PR2 in the wet - but only at speeds where I would be scaring my self silly. In other words where only a professional road-tester could tell the difference.

I wish to have the most condfidence-inspiring wet-road tyres available on my machine, so I have PR3s.

Dunlop Roadsmarts, Conti Road Attack 2, Metzeler Z8 give superior stability, steering precision & feedback in the dry (Source Motorrad Issue 11/2011).

Graham Lewis

I have had both PR2 and PR3s. I was very impressed with the PR2s in rain and we have a lot in North West England!!!!! I was also impressed that they lasted nearly 10000 miles on the back tyre on my GTR1400.

I have put the PR3s on the K1300GT and have done 5000 miles. The tyres are great in the rain although I don't notice any real difference between the 2.

What has worried me is that the tyres are taking an odd shape on the rear, It is squaring off but not consistently in the centre maybe because of the unusual markings.

I will most likely put another PR3 on the back soon as the front has good life and then in another 5000 miles if the back goes the same way will go back to PR2s front and back

Graham

...last April I installed another set of PR2's on the RT to replace a set that lasted about 10K. I just had a set of PR3's installed on my K1200S to replace a set of Pilot Power 2CT's that lasted about 4800 miles. The difference is like night and day. Incredible handling and smoothness like I've never experienced before. The impression has me wishing I'd gone with the PR3's on the RT instead of the PR2's.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

The question could be irrelevant. PR2 supplies look low at one location (can't recall who though).

Archived