IGNORED

metal valve stems

kamlooper

I've thought about doing the same thing with my next set of tires. Seems odd that the front wheel (05 RT) has a factory installed metal stem IN THE SPOKE pointing off the side. This is GREAT! Makes filling and checking very easy. Why they didn't do this in the rear is beyond me. The metal stem I will install in the rear will be a 90 degree angled one, for easy access.

the guy who changes my tires, started carrying them and installs the chrome plated ones in straight and 90* for 5.00. I am letting him switch all of mine over to the 90* as each tire gets replaced.

I'm thinkin' all car and motorcycle stems are the same size. I'm sure some with more knowledge than myself will chime in if that's incorrect.

I'm thinkin' all car and motorcycle stems are the same size. I'm sure some with more knowledge than myself will chime in if that's incorrect.

Nope,several different size valve stems are made.

Make sure you get the correct size for whatever your application.

JR356

I put in one of these (silver) with my Tiregard TPMS.

38466_1.jpg

Works great, aimed to the left (muffler side on the RT). Very easy to get to and trust it more than the standard rubber stem with the weight of the TPMS sender. It seems a little lightweight for the TPMS, I am watching the threads close, but no problem so far. Biggest problem is that I dropped and broke the lcd monitor! I will probably order a new one during the off season.

38466_1.jpg

Works great, aimed to the left (muffler side on the RT). Very easy to get to and trust it more than the standard rubber stem with the weight of the TPMS sender. It seems a little lightweight for the TPMS, I am watching the threads close, but no problem so far. Biggest problem is that I dropped and broke the lcd monitor! I will probably order a new one during the off season.

Do you have a link to those??

38466_1.jpg

Do you have a link to those??

I purchased mine at Competition Accessories:

http://www.compacc.com/p/BikeMaster-Valve-Stems/1111020

Had them on my tires, (sold at the dealer) although I can't support it with any scientific fact the weight of the stem extension after a 4K miles caused the rubber to tear (supporting the extension at the base) and enough loss of air to shut me down 70 miles from home. Tire repair kit (although used as a wrap) worked fine. Maybe it was unrelated.. but it's never happened again since I removed them.

Lone_RT_rider
Then, there are also THESE

I've been meaning to order some, but haven't yet.

They look almost identical!

Another link directly to BikeMaster valve stems and also some interesting pressure indicating caps can be found here:

http://www.bikemaster.com/bmstrv2.nsf/Products/EE6E9572ED4BD60D86257713005D53AD?opendocument

Waaaaaay too much bling for my R11RT. I would have to sand blast them to match the existing patina. :rofl:

Shawn

I had the rubber valve stems on my R1100RT, riding along one day, rear tire went soft/flat on the freeway. Lucky I was close to home, valve stem was broken/cut. All the air escaped.

I replaced the stems on the bike with Metal. no problem since

Then, there are also THESE

I've been meaning to order some, but haven't yet.

They look almost identical!

Another link directly to BikeMaster valve stems and also some interesting pressure indicating caps can be found here:

http://www.bikemaster.com/bmstrv2.nsf/Products/EE6E9572ED4BD60D86257713005D53AD?opendocument

To those considering these valves know this...

BMW MODEL SPECIFIC ISSUES:

EXCEPTION: 1999-2007+ BMW K1200LT, All R1150RT: NO, OR NOT WITHOUT MODIFICATION.

BMW created the front wheels for the K1200LT and R1150RT with a very narrow surround around the hole and recessed that surround. To fit our valves to these wheels, you would have to dremel (grind back/cut-off) the flanges on the valve body as shown the examples below:

- pictures of the K1200 issue: K1200LT Stem Area, and Valve Compared to Stem Area.

- the modified valve, dremelled back to fit, shown on an 2004 R1150RT (pics coutesy of Perry DeWitt): Front Valve front view, rear view, side view.

EXCEPTION: BMW R1200GS (Tubeless Street Wheels), certain other R-series with cast-lip wheels (modification required): NO, OR NOT WITHOUT MODIFICATION.

BMW's center-line ridge on the wheels makes the space for the valve too narrow to fit without modification of the valve body, which can easily be dremelled back to compensate. Please view this R1200GS (cast wheels) modification image by Jim Von Baden for an example of the modification (tool: dremel, cut-off wheel. Time: 3 minutes).

Note: Does fit OEM R1150GS wheels - Picture (credit: Jeffrey Hagen).

EXCEPTION: BMW Wheels with TPM (Tire Pressure Monitors) integrated: NO.

- These will NOT work, you MUST use the BMW-TPM specific valves.

They will fit K1200/K1300 that are NOT using the TPM system: Photo of mounting on '08 K1200GT non-TPS wheel (pic & fitment info courtesy Erik Miner)

This from the above THESE link in the FITMENT: section.

I have one on my 03 RT.

Yes, by all means, a link or a name or vendor or whatever!

I just got new tires but will likely need another set by next

spring.

Been looking for something like that.

Then, there are also THESE I've been meaning to order some, but haven't yet.

They look great. I was impressed reading their web site.

However, so far they aren't impressing me just based on the attempt I had to get customer service from them. Their web site only lets you order two valves. However on the RT, you only need to replace the rear valve. I emailed them about ordering just a single one, never heard back.

Nada.. nothing.. no reply.

If they can't even answer a PRE-sale question, I would think their POST-sale support is even worse.

Then, there are also THESE I've been meaning to order some, but haven't yet.

They look great. I was impressed reading their web site.

However, so far they aren't impressing me just based on the attempt I had to get customer service from them. Their web site only lets you order two valves. However on the RT, you only need to replace the rear valve. I emailed them about ordering just a single one, never heard back.

Nada.. nothing.. no reply.

If they can't even answer a PRE-sale question, I would think their POST-sale support is even worse.

Update - Not long after I posted this I did in fact get a reply (5 days to get the reply). The reply is, "You can't buy just one, buy TWO and keep the other for a spare in case the stock *metal* valve on the front wheel breaks". I doubt that will happen... I don't need 2, I just need one. Why should I have to pay for a second when I only need one?

Sorry.. I won't be buying. While I can understand the need to simplify the sales and shipping process, the reply denotes a lack of understanding of "customer service", instead the attitude is "My way or the highway". Too bad too, it does look like a nice product.

Sent a PM to Red-Mac for a Split Offer, if he doesn't want to "split" are there any other takers out there?

Sliver color... Will send $20 cash and you drop one in the mail.

I bought a set of these in Silver about two months ago, used one, the other is still in the box... I'll do $22 shipped to you in the ConUS

Looks like a factory part :deal

Ariete Racing Valve Stems

Aluminum 90 degree valve stem with caps

Air valve will not open at high speed

Made in Italy

Weight 12g

Sold as pair

Arietet.jpg

I personally don't like the above stems because the nut that secures it is *inside* the wheel, so that if the stem becomes loose thru whatever reason, you will have to demount the tire to re-tighten it.

I mounted some with the external nut and had them nice and tight at first. A few weeks later while adding air, I accidentally rotated the stem some because it was no longer "nice and tight". I guess the rubber washer flattened out a little and the tension decreased. It was easy to re-tighten it being external. If the nut had been inside, then my moving the valve back straight again would probably have loosened the underside nut even more.

Thats why I said above "they are better". YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

I have also used the patch boy valve stems. Very nice units, and they have worked great for me. However as noted on some BMW rims with the "center lip" grinding was necessary.

I'm probably being overly cautious, but given the reported fragility of the R1100 3-spoke wheels, I'm loathe to file away any of that center reinforcing rib. Paranoid?

well I am guessing less that a 1/16th is needed, also you can file the actual valve stem. basically just file the two sides just lightly and that works. of course then the valve stem is not as nice looking a little steel wool, some primmer and a couple coats of matching paint and it looks great.

I am using the Ariete Valve Stems,on My 1200 RT, they have an O Ring on the top and inside of the Rim. The thread's are on the inside of the Rim...The threads' have a locker sealent on them no problems' in 40,000 mi.Still good and tite....

Archived