IGNORED

Riding gear help

n9owk66

Hi trying to get some info on riding gear the wife and i do wear helmets but i was thinking of buying jackets and pants just would like to hr some info on what most riders are wearing and are they hot in the summer thanks for all info mike.

terryofperry

Gear is such a personal choice it is hard to give advice.

Women's gear is becoming more available from manufacturers.

I ride with mesh, specifically Olympia Moto Sports.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/home.htm

Basically, if it is comfortable and you like it, you will wear it.

You can find cheaper than Olympia and way more expensive custom products.

For me, it is the best bang for the buck, but that is just me.

Most BMW dealers carry it or go here:

https://www.motoliberty.com/list_prod.asp?CatID=11&SubCatID=13

Or Revzilla here:

http://www.revzilla.com/olympia

Ride Safely

Terry

Here's the way I think about jackets. There are basically three styles:

1) Touring or commuting jackets which come below the waist. They normally have a lot of pockets and a removable liner for extra warmth or rain protection. They are almost always made of a synthetic material like ballistic nylon or polyester, although some include parts that are leather or kevlar. They almost always have armor of some sort in key locations. They can be made of a mesh or solid material. They come in every color you can think of. They range in price from $150 to $1500. As with everything, you get what you pay for up to a point.

2) Racing style jackets which have a small or no collar, and come to the waist. They can be made of solid or mesh synthetic material (with armor), or solid or perforated leather (with or without armor). Leather is generally thought to offer the best protection in a slide, but is heavier and more expensive, particularly good quality stuff. Many racing style jackets have a removable thermal liner. They can range in price from $100 to a $1000 or more for top quality leather.

3) Motorcycle cop style jackets which come to the waist but have open flaps in the front. I've never seen these in other than leather. I've never seen them with armor. Some do have removable liners. They're fairly versatile because you can leave the liner in or out, the front open or fastened at the next, and, if they have vents (and some do, some don't), the vents opened or closed.

If you're a three season rider, I think you need at least two jackets, one mesh and one medium weight with a liner. Style and material is a matter of personal preference. As with anything, you can get things on sale at the end of a season. Fall is a good time.

Make sure what you get doesn't fit too loosely. My kinda generous fit on the Darien didn't help my shoulder in a recent get off.

Protective clothing is only as good as your adherence to how it is supposed to be worn. An unzippered jacket or loose fitting will not keep the protective pads where they belong.

Ow!

You can get cool vests to help in the hot season. Yes they are kinda messy and wet but they do work. Everything has it's limitations.

May also depend on the size and build of the two of you.

Some large, tall, or petite sized folks may need other options.

Next is climate and type of riding you'll do.

Is cost a factor?

There are a lot of choices of styles, functions, quality, and prices, and as mentioned, riding gear selections depend on personal preferences. One solution you might find helpful is to attend any decent sized rallye--doesn't have to be BMW. Note what other riders are wearing, and when you see something of interest, talk to that rider about the product. Most riders are willing to talk about their purchases and at least this way you get to see the product first hand (as opposed to just shopping on-line) and get the benefit of first hand feedback. Even looking at something in a dealer's showroom doesn't give you much information about how the product really performs on the road. And if you just shop on-line, you are at the mercy of the advertising description which makes every product sound like a godsend.

When you've narrowed your choices to specific brands and models, posting specific questions here will get you even more feedbck. Quality gear is not cheap, so getting it right is important.

Aerostitch.

Yeah, I'd say the Roadcrafter, properly worn would be the best choice over the looser fitting styles.

And all the breathable mesh? Just more little catch holes for rocks and weeds and pointy stuff to assist in ripping your suit apart when movement comes to a stop. One doesn't always have the the graceful slide when departing the bike.

Didn't your owner's manual say not to do that?

RTFM? where's the fun in that?

Archived