IGNORED

R1150RT GPS Mount

twstm

I just bought a R1150RT and want to mount my Garmin 2820 GPS. Where is the best mounting point? I have several ram mounts, I'm looking at may maybe one of the handlebar mounting bolts...This way I could have it dead center. Anybody have suggestions?

I tried one of the handlebar mounting bolt RAM ball mounts when I first got my 2720. It was too low. Took my eyes off the road too long to look down. If raised up on a longer RAM arm it would start to block the view of the warning indicators. Also if using a tank bag then that also started to interfere with the view of the GPS! That RAM-mount RT handle bar bolt replacement now resides on my wife's GS as a mirror mount RAM ball....

But, if you asked me to recommend a RAM compatible way to do what you want and have the GPS dead center on your 1150RT--which I'm a big fan of, as well! Then I'd say check into the Migsel mount. It attaches pretty simply under the windshield cowling and you can attach up to three RAM balls. Then put the GPS dead center and all you have to do is glance down at it. This setup has worked for me for over 20k miles and my new 665 resides in the same location. As high up as I can get it and still lower the windshield down to the stops.

Hopefully this image works!

DSC05435.JPG

You can see the Migsel mount attached under the cowling. It simply replaces two of the stock screws. This is an old photo. Since then I've added the additional two RAM balls (note the circular black plastic insert to the left of the GPS--that covers the hole where the RAM ball screws into).

Good luck!

I tried one of the handlebar mounting bolt RAM ball mounts when I first got my 2720. It was too low. Took my eyes off the road too long to look down. If raised up on a longer RAM arm it would start to block the view of the warning indicators. Also if using a tank bag then that also started to interfere with the view of the GPS! That RAM-mount RT handle bar bolt replacement now resides on my wife's GS as a mirror mount RAM ball....

But, if you asked me to recommend a RAM compatible way to do what you want and have the GPS dead center on your 1150RT--which I'm a big fan of, as well! Then I'd say check into the Migsel mount. It attaches pretty simply under the windshield cowling and you can attach up to three RAM balls. Then put the GPS dead center and all you have to do is glance down at it. This setup has worked for me for over 20k miles and my new 665 resides in the same location. As high up as I can get it and still lower the windshield down to the stops.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there anywhere in the USA to get the Migsel mount? Tell me about your Sirius radio setuo! I have an XM antenna I can route through my Garmin 2820...what type of headset or speakers are you using?

Hopefully this image works!

DSC05435.JPG

You can see the Migsel mount attached under the cowling. It simply replaces two of the stock screws. This is an old photo. Since then I've added the additional two RAM balls (note the circular black plastic insert to the left of the GPS--that covers the hole where the RAM ball screws into).

Good luck!

I just bought a R1150RT and want to mount my Garmin 2820 GPS. Where is the best mounting point? I have several ram mounts, I'm looking at may maybe one of the handlebar mounting bolts...

I've got a 2610 in the RAM cradle (same shape as the 2820) and I use handlebar mount bolt/ball. It works.

5722.jpg.e9432b05f42179f2e28057b9bb180d2a.jpg

+1 on the Migsel mount. One came with the bike when I bought it, so I can't say that I have tried other options, but it seems to work well.

+1 on the Migsel mount. One came with the bike when I bought it, so I can't say that I have tried other options, but it seems to work well.

Where can I buy this mount?

I searched and only found a shop in the UK. Price was a bit lower, but their shipping killed it.

Bought mine direct from Migsel.

I had tried several other mounting methods, but the Migsel is absolutely the best for me. I really like it as it is solid, and puts my gps (Nuvi 550) right it my line of site.

Where can I buy this mount?

A couple of previous threads with a few photos here: 1150RT GPS mounts 1 and 1150RT GPS mounts 2

I have a Zumo on the Gadget Guy system and it works pretty well. But I think any system that mounts to the windscreen subframe vibrates a bit more then when attached to the handlebars or main frame. But I like the GPS higher and in the middle so that I can still see all the lights & gauges. I have had a GPS on the handlebars before and it interfered with lock-to-lock turns and the tank bag. So it really depends where you want it, if you use a tank bag and how you will wire it.

Mike Cassidy

Archived