IGNORED

Odyssey Battery Charger/Tender Question

Mike05

Just replaced the OEM battery with an Odyssey 680PC battery.

Up to now, I've always plugged a BMW charger into an outlet directly wired to the battery. I'd like to continue to use a charger that will do the same but which one?

My understanding is the BMW charger will not fully charge the Odyssey so I'm looking for a new charger, one that can serve as a battery tender but could fully charge a "dead" battery (hasn't happened yet but....) if needed.

Any recommendations?

Mike,

Low current maintenance chargers will not typically charge a fully discharged AGM type (which is what an Odyssey is). However, they are fine for normal use of keeping it in good shape. Maintenance chargers are typically 1-3 amps and include stuff like the Optimate, CTEC, Xtreme and many others. They are all multi stage chargers that vary the voltage during the charging cycle.

Look on the Odyssey website where they have a statement about chargers for recovery of a dead battery. IIRC, the recommend a 6A type meant for AGMs for that purpose.

What you cannot leave permanently hooked to an AGM battery is an older style transformer charger meant for flooded lead acid batteries (FLA type).

Such devices will cause an AGM to lose its water, destroying the battery. I have seen many modern AGM and gel batteries destroyed by these chargers that folks have in their garages and keep using inappropriately. You must have a charger designed for an AGM battery if you leave it connected for maintenance.

My maintenance charger is an Xtreme (3A) and a few weeks ago I used it to recover a stone dead FLA in one of my cars that wouldn't light anything in the vehicle. Took it 3 days but the recovered battery did fine on a load test and is good to go again.

terryofperry

I use a Black & Decker (Vector) VEC 1095 ABD.

It is a "smart" charger. Will charge conventional, gel cell, and AGM. Just set it to what you want. 2 amp. 10 amp. 25 amp. and 75 amp. engine start. Will work for your car, bike, lawn mower, boat. Will also check the alternator output. I have had mine for 8 years, no issues. LED voltage and amperage readout.

For the same price as good tender. $70

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/VEC1095ABD.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000EJV5II/ref=nosim/8685595-20?s=merchant

For the bike I set mine to AGM 2 amp and let it rock. 3 stage smart charger and float mode. I have never used it to start the bike but I have to start the lawn mower and truck.

The only advantage I see with the tenders is they may plug into the port. Access to my battery is about 15 seconds so that is not an issue with me.

Just throwing this out there as an alternative.

Terry

Trick chargers...that's what this forum loves.

My theory is that wannabee DIY mechanics can handle the two leads in a charger and so they amplify the intellectual challenge of working with one.

Better to study fuel injection which is a topic worthy of study.

But if you think of charging as anything fancier than emptying and filling a bucket, you are having fantasies (... even if a tiny grain of truth to it). Anybody think your bike is using brilliant computer algorithms to figure out how to charge as you ride?

Ben

I have found that I do not need a charger for the Odyssey battery. I can leave the bike in the garage for 2 weeks and it starts right up. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the battery tender killed my last PC680. I always kept it on the tender and it only lasted about a year. It would charge but had no cranking power. I have had this one for a year and no problems. Never had it on a charger.

Thanks for the information, it was very helpful.

Also, regarding the Deltran Battery Tender, found this chart on another forum.

1204718200asx8M-L-M.jpg

Your battery maintainer will work fine on the PC680 (directly connected), but as Racer7 says, it will not bring up an AGM that is severely discharged. Enersys recommends that you charge up a battery that is below 12.65 volts and this takes more amps than you maintainer can deliver.

Visit Enersys web site and look at their chargers and down load the PC680 tech book. http://www.enersys.com/products.asp

I have always heard that, but hasn't been true for me. I recently left the power on my boat on for over a month and forgot to plug in shore power. Needless to say the battery banks were dead as a hammer. It wouldn't even light a 12V test light. I put my battery tender plus on this battery http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM3192926002P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

and in about 2 days the lights were green and the battery has given no further trouble. YMMV

Archived