IGNORED

What good is the BMW Airflow Suit for touring?

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

What good is the BMW Airflow suit for touring? I can see it being exceedingly beneficial for day rides where I live (108 today, they say), but without rain protection or ability to add wind/cold protection, it's useless...isn't it?...for travel.

I ask because (A) I can't ride in the August Texas heat in the suit I have and (B) I'm currently in Seattle, where there's a dealer with inventory.

markgoodrich

Yeah, I thought about that, Andy, something like Frogg Toggs, but then there's the cold. I'd be really cold wearing even both those items in many areas I travel.

My Rukka suit is good down into the upper 40s, and okay up to the mid-upper 80s, especially in dry heat, but then I melt. It's got a tight mesh, with windproof inner liner. Last year crossing from Portland to Wyoming I had my electric jacket and gloves on.

I'm also enamored of the MotoPort kit, but the bulk of the liners is an issue when packing. So many problems.....

Hi Mark,

I have MotoPort "Marathon Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar jacket & pants. In cold weather, Gerbing's or Northface under the Kevlar jacket, Motoport rain jacket on top of both (excellent product, as is most of their stuff) if really cold and/or wet.

If I know it's going to be cold, longjohn's under the Kevlar pants, rain pants over that if colder still.

Works fine.

markgoodrich
Hi Mark,

I have MotoPort "Marathon Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar jacket & pants. In cold weather, Gerbing's or Northface under the Kevlar jacket, Motoport rain jacket on top of both (excellent product, as is most of their stuff) if really cold and/or wet.

If I know it's going to be cold, longjohn's under the Kevlar pants, rain pants over that if colder still.

Works fine.

Mike, how do you pack all that stuff, times two, for long trips, along with all the other things two people need? That's been my concern about the Motorport kit.

I keep waiting for someone to say "Uni-go."...uh uh.

Mike, how do you pack all that stuff, times two, for long trips, along with all the other things two people need? That's been my concern about the Motorport kit.

I keep waiting for someone to say "Uni-go."...uh uh.

Damn good question; honest answer is I can't! The MotoPort gear simply does not (com)pack well; too stiff, especially for two. Great for 1-up day rides & Arkansas weekend type jaunts but long haul, it's solo riding with Kevlar Motoport gear.

Enjoy the Northwest; we lived in Olympia for 10 years & miss the fresh seafood & cooler weather.

I've had an Airflow suit for a few years, but had always worn my Rallye 2 Pro on multi-day road trips. That is until this month's UnRally in North Carolina. I decided I'd try the Airflow (it was August after all). I was on the road for three weeks and I can say without hesitation that I was glad I decided to wear it. There were very few times when I was chilly, and for that I carry a pullover wind shirt made of Gortex Windstopper fabric. If it really got cold I'd simply put my rain jacket on over top. The only day it was really cool was when I left home at about 5:00 a.m. After the UnRally, my wife and I took the slow road up the east coast before cutting back home through Vermont and up into Ontario.

Yeah, I thought about that, Andy, something like Frogg Toggs, but then there's the cold. I'd be really cold wearing even both those items in many areas I travel.

My Rukka suit is good down into the upper 40s, and okay up to the mid-upper 80s, especially in dry heat, but then I melt. It's got a tight mesh, with windproof inner liner. Last year crossing from Portland to Wyoming I had my electric jacket and gloves on.

I'm also enamored of the MotoPort kit, but the bulk of the liners is an issue when packing. So many problems.....

Skip the Frogg Toggs. There are so many better options.

Examples? I bought my first set of Frogg Toggs about 10 years ago, and never had the slightest bit of moisture intrusion. I finally replaced them this spring. They are cheap ($60), and pack down to a very small bundle. On a bike with good weather protection like an RT, I've been comfortable in mesh gear, with the Frogg Toggs over, down to about 45 degrees.

Examples? I bought my first set of Frogg Toggs about 10 years ago, and never had the slightest bit of moisture intrusion. I finally replaced them this spring. They are cheap ($60), and pack down to a very small bundle. On a bike with good weather protection like an RT, I've been comfortable in mesh gear, with the Frogg Toggs over, down to about 45 degrees.

I had a set of Frogg Toggs too, but I found them lacking. I've been looking hard to find a link to the Firstgear rain pants I have now. They may have discontinued the particular pair I have now but this is the closest, and could be the exactly what I have. The main thing I looked for, beyond protection from the rain, was a pant that I could put on while still wearing my boots. These have a very high zipper that allows me to do that. They are very good quality, pack very well, and have provided excellent water and cold protection. I used them on a March trip to Utah which involved rain and snow for hundreds of miles. I do not have a dedicated rain jacket. I have an Olympia AST that does a super job in the rain as well as a regular motorcycle jacket. I went this route to avoid the need to carry 3 sets of gear: regular, mesh, and rain.

markgoodrich

I had a set of Frogg Toggs too, but I found them lacking. I've been looking hard to find a link to the Firstgear rain pants I have now. They may have discontinued the particular pair I have now but this is the closest, and could be the exactly what I have. The main thing I looked for, beyond protection from the rain, was a pant that I could put on while still wearing my boots. These have a very high zipper that allows me to do that. They are very good quality, pack very well, and have provided excellent water and cold protection. I used them on a March trip to Utah which involved rain and snow for hundreds of miles. I do not have a dedicated rain jacket. I have an Olympia AST that does a super job in the rain as well as a regular motorcycle jacket. I went this route to avoid the need to carry 3 sets of gear: regular, mesh, and rain.

At the BMW dealer they had both one and two piece rain suits for about $120. Both are PVC/nylon, i.e. would be like wearing a large sandwich bag...be great in a cool area, and would slip over boots. I dunno....hard to beat the Rukka design, I guess.

Being from the rain city, I don't often get to use my mesh gear (like never). However, mid-summer, I can travel to the dry side of the mountains. I've had good luck riding with my mesh (actually, perforated leather) gear, my Gerbing's heated jacket, and a little windbreaker - just in case. The main thing is, if you're gonna travel in your mesh gear, A) you're pretty sure that you won't get much, if any rain. And B) if you are lucky enough to find some rain, it won't last long (ie, don't worry, you'll dry out). Being from Tejas, you should have no problem.

markgoodrich

In April, Suzanne and I rode up to Arkansas for a weekend with dhanson and justjean. We rode for six or seven hours in rain so heavy much of the time I couldn't see more than about 50 feet down the road. Even with all our waterproof gear we were soaked through and through. On the bright side, there were no bugs on the windshield. I poured LOTS of water out of my boots that night! My waterproof goretex lined boots. The part I hated most was the hail, but just on my pinkies. The rest of my body was protected enough that it didn't hurt.

I typically take at least one very long trip a year, and usually several...I invariably encounter all the weather one can think of, including snow sometimes. Like Edddddddd, I want the perfect single suit.

Okay, today on the way home from Seattle we stopped at a dealer I'd called and negotiated with, and picked up an Airflow 4 jacket, with pants to be shipped next week, great price, I have my fingers crossed it will be cool. I almost bought the Airshell, but decided on the more robust Airflow.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try it in the heat, and someday, maybe, if it ever cools off in Austin, I'll try it in the cool, see if it will work with the suggested add-ons for 40s-100s.

Not so sure about the "coldblack technology," but it sounds neat.

I have a Spidi mesh jacket and trousers combination.

Last year I went for a few days in the Alps with it: first half of the first day was decent but then we caught tons of icy water and cold weather.

Not to worry since I also bought the matching Spidi windproof/waterproof lining. Worked like a treat. You can buy it separately (it was about 60€) and it comes in a neat nylon case that can easily fit inside your tank bag or even in the glove/radio compartment.

I can post pictures if you are interested.

I got my Airflow 2 suit, then my Streetguard 2 a couple years later, as closeouts at the local shop. The Airflow works very well using layering (suit < fleece < rainsuit) down to, well, snowing one time. I only got the Streetguard because of the price and the convenience. Even though the insulating and outer layers are properly sized, I always felt a little like the Michelin Man when wearing the full getup over the Airflow.

BTW, the Silver Eagle vest works GREAT with the Airflow. I went from NoCal to Santa Fe in August very comfortably.

Archived