IGNORED

Commercial Flying with Helmet

UberXY

Anyone know if a full face helmet will fit under the seat of a 777? I'm riding in europe in September and plan on taking my leathers, helmet, and boots as carry on. I can manage without the other stuff (clothes, etc) if my check in luggage gets lost.

I have no idea it fits (my guess is that it will, with plenty of margin) but you sure do have the priorities right! :thumbsup:

--

Mikko

If you don't get a diffinitive answer here my next move would be to call the airline.

From SeatGuru

In Economy, each seat features an individual entertainment system however underseat space at all A, J, D, and F seats is limited due to an equipment box beneath the seat. Not all of American's 777's have the same seats in Economy with power ports. Some aircraft only have power at seats 30 C and G.

It should fit in the overhead locker. That's where I put mine when I travel.

Or you could ask the cabin crew to stow it in one of the wardrobes for you.

We just got back from an Edelweiss trip and flew both ways on a 777. You're helmet will fit under the seat. I'd get helmet bag for it for sure. I'd consider checking the other gear. Delta charges $100 for an overweight bag and $50 for an extra bag. You'll have a lot more legroom if you put it in the overhead,and you'll want all you can get.

We just got back from an Edelweiss trip and flew both ways on a 777. You're helmet will fit under the seat. I'd get helmet bag for it for sure. I'd consider checking the other gear. Delta charges $100 for an overweight bag and $50 for an extra bag. You'll have a lot more legroom if you put it in the overhead,and you'll want all you can get.

Not completely true for under seat, it depends on the airline and IFE package under the seat and the row your in. In some seats the Panasonic, formerly Matsushita, boxes will hit a larger helmet.

If you can get on board early enough while there's still room I would put it in the overhead.

Another thought if time permits - I have found it to be cheaper to box up clothes and gear and ship it via DHL. I assume you have lodgings somewhere or a shop that is renting the bikes to you. I've found that they are always willing to receive and hold a box for a soon to arrive guest.

Bill

Bainbridge Island

It will fit, but your legs won't be happy. The overhead bins on 777 are a lot larger than smaller equipment, so you should be fine. And when you board, even if the overhead bins are already closed in your section, check 'em anyway -- a lot of times they're empty.

The helmet bag will be treated like a purse, and the rest of your riding gear will fit into a free carry-on bag. I'd recommend throwing at least one (if not two) changes of underwear into the carry-on bag.

...I'd recommend throwing at least one (if not two) changes of underwear into the carry-on bag.

:thumbsup:

Passenger: "I have three checked bags; I'd like you to send one to New York, one to Chicago, and one to Los Angeles."

Ticket agent: "We can't do that, sir."

Passenger: "Why the hell not, you did that with my bags last week."

Joe Frickin' Friday
On the other hand it might be taken as a touching lack of faith in flying?

Only if you actually wear it during takeoff and landing...

On the other hand it might be taken as a touching lack of faith in flying?

Only if you actually wear it during takeoff and landing...

While assuming the brace position...

bracepositiona.jpg

--

Mikko

Just wear it. They may let you ride in the cockpit. :rofl:

awesome thought. that sure would be a step up from my old Cessna 150...

Archived